16 Aug, 2010, Idealiad wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I don't know if anyone here is familiar with the RPGDX indie RPG site, but they're currently hosting a one week RPG challenge with the theme 'alternate history'. Originally the challenge ended today (Sunday the 15th).

The deadline is extended to Wednesday.

This is their forum thread. Collaborations are encouraged. There are no restrictions on tools, engines, or creative assets.

So, I propose a Mudbytes team entry. We could make a mud, an IF, or a graphical game depending on interest, but of course a mud would be the coolest ;D.

If I'm going to do much of the programming I vote for Python, however if other coders step up I'm happy to use another language and just create content.

We can interpret the theme however we like. Steampunk? Robot dinosaurs? Magical Apache wars?

Let's go folks, the clock is ticking :biggrin:
16 Aug, 2010, Chris Bailey wrote in the 2nd comment:
That is a wonderful idea. I wish I could participate but I was just promoted and my first day is tommorrow. I have a lot of catching up to do over the next few days. Dang that would be fun. =)
16 Aug, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 3rd comment:
Sounds like fun, but there's no way I can devote enough time to be useful in the next three days. :sad:
16 Aug, 2010, Mudder wrote in the 4th comment:
You create the engine and I'll help build the world. :biggrin:
16 Aug, 2010, donky wrote in the 5th comment:
Too short notice, and not good timing. Good luck :smile:
16 Aug, 2010, Idealiad wrote in the 6th comment:
We'll see if I can pull something together tonight; unfortunately I have to work today (Pacific time).

If anyone else can whip up a basic server today, perhaps by cannibalizing something existing, go for it!

I would say just use NakedMUD, but I have a feeling we don't have the time to learn it.
16 Aug, 2010, Chris Bailey wrote in the 7th comment:
You could whip up something using EventMachine in Ruby *really* quickly. Or start with something as simple as rocketmud? You could bang out a coordinate based movement system using all overland ascii maps generated automatically in no time flat and have lots of time left over for..more interesting things.
16 Aug, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 8th comment:
using all overland ascii maps generated automatically in no time flat

I'm curious about the algorithm you'd use to generate overland ASCII maps in no time flat <coder time, not computer time>? I know there are references out there to how one does it, and it's true that it's not rocket science, but I wouldn't call it a trivial matter.
16 Aug, 2010, Chris Bailey wrote in the 9th comment:
I didn't mean to make it sound trivial. In no time flat you wouldn't have much more than a simplistic generator.
17 Aug, 2010, chrisd wrote in the 10th comment:
Idealiad said:
I would say just use NakedMUD, but I have a feeling we don't have the time to learn it.

I am familiar with NM and would be interested in producing something for it, provided it was open source. Depending on what is being considered, it may be a good choice. Is there some sort of basic design?
17 Aug, 2010, Idealiad wrote in the 11th comment:
Update: thanks to the skills of a couple of MB members (including chrisd) we have a game started!

I'll hold off on further details until we have something more developed to show. But with about 50 hours left to go, now is when we could use some assistance from the forum. So, MudBytes members, your first mission, if you choose to accept it:

We need insults.

In rhyming couplets.

For example:

"You fart like a pig and smell like a skunk,
If you stick around I'd rather be drunk!"

or:

"Your singing is awful and your penmanship wavy,
and your ma is acquainted with the whole English navy!"

Obviously, quantity over quality. Thanks guys!
19 Aug, 2010, chrisd wrote in the 12th comment:
In about 52 hours three of us managed to produce… (dun dun dun!)

Rhymelander

A MUD set in an 18th-century France in which everyone speaks in rhyme! Unfortunately we weren't able to produce much content (building takes time!), but we got a few simple game systems going:

* Achievements
* Combat
* Feat minigames (pilfering, transmutation and lockpicking)
* Random surnames
* Random descriptions

Thoughts? Feedback?
0.0/12