16 Jun, 2010, Jhypsy Shah wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Thought I'd ask if anyone has seen anything interesting or different lately, just curious.
16 Jun, 2010, Orrin wrote in the 2nd comment:
There are a few clients around using Flash now, and some of the newer ones also use websockets.

These are the ones I know about which are publicly released:

There are also some games using Flash clients which are not publicly available:

There's also Archons of Avenshar which uses a Flash client, although AFAIK it's only playable using the custom client and not over telnet, so I'm not sure how relevant that is.

In the interests of full disclosure I develop FMud and Maiden Desmodus.
17 Jun, 2010, Jhypsy Shah wrote in the 3rd comment:
I checked out maiden desmodus after it came out on kong, thought it was very cool. The economy and crafting was different, never seen anything like that before. Been a while since I played it, wouldn't mind hearing how that was going.

Primordiax is new to me, saw it was IC enforced, so I started browsing the site..
17 Jun, 2010, Idealiad wrote in the 4th comment:
MD is a very good game oriented around players doing things, with unfortunately not enough players IMO.

I tried out the Primordiax client and was kind of disappointed. They went through all the trouble of making a Flash client but then the actual text window they drop you into looks like barebones telnet. I didn't see a way to customize things either, but I wasn't too interested in the game within the first few minutes, so admittedly I didn't give it much time to find out if customization of the appearance was possible.

There have been browser-based telnet clients for years, and I feel that it's not enough to simply put telnet in your browser anymore. The text styling and how you interact with it should be better than straight telnet if you're going to go to the trouble, IMO.

/rant.
17 Jun, 2010, Scandum wrote in the 5th comment:
I don't care for IC games, but the Primordiax client has some kind of custom mxp support, saw some xterm 256 color codes, and the server is written in Pike.
17 Jun, 2010, Orrin wrote in the 6th comment:
Scandum said:
I don't care for IC games, but the Primordiax client has some kind of custom mxp support, saw some xterm 256 color codes, and the server is written in Pike.

While I was a little jealous of the tooltips on the MXP style links in their client, I felt better when I connected with mushclient to find out that it wasn't actually MXP.
17 Jun, 2010, KaVir wrote in the 7th comment:
Orrin said:
Scandum said:

While I was a little jealous of the tooltips on the MXP style links in their client, I felt better when I connected with mushclient to find out that it wasn't actually MXP.

Any idea what it is? Some sort of proprietary protocol?

I didn't bother creating a character, but I did load up the client to see what the layout was like, and checked out a screenshot of it in action. I thought it was okay, but found the layout lacking - I think the text window is too small for a game that's still primarily text-based, with too much screenspace wasted on non-functional artwork. Does it even have a map?

For some reason it brought to mind a visual image of someone being told to make the game "more graphical", and responding by shrinking the text window.
17 Jun, 2010, Jhypsy Shah wrote in the 8th comment:
I played primordiax for a minute, the text commands do seem a little tedious. I actually kinda liked the non-functional artwork though. Which seemed to appear as an option, at first, I believe when choosing a city from the help file. Then a few npcs and city locations seemed to have their own pic.

I didn't see a map, maybe there is a command for it, I dunno..I just realized I had my speakers off and I dunno if there is any sound on there.

I remember MD was adding some sound files last time I played, I thought that was very cool.
22 Jun, 2010, Jhypsy Shah wrote in the 9th comment:
I always wonder if someone will take an area of their mud and make something less traditional with it to be played on a seperate client. maybe more like another flash game, for instance like using a characters resources for more of a strategy, gambling, puzzle or something different integrated the traditional mud.

I think a new spin on an area such as ye olde newbie mud school could be interesting too.

I have to ask, has anyone seen anything like that lately? Just curious.
22 Jun, 2010, Orrin wrote in the 10th comment:
Jhypsy Shah said:
I always wonder if someone will take an area of their mud and make something less traditional with it to be played on a seperate client. maybe more like another flash game, for instance like using a characters resources for more of a strategy, gambling, puzzle or something different integrated the traditional mud.

At one time I wanted to create a web based strategy game that hooked into the MUD's warfare system. The idea was that players on the MUD would gather resources and recruit troops and then they would be available to players on the strategy game. Likewise the results of the warfare would be reflected in the zone control within the MUD. I never got too far along with the specifics but I still think it's a cool idea.

I know KaVir has posted about this kind of thing before so I'm sure he'll have some thoughts too.
22 Jun, 2010, Jhypsy Shah wrote in the 11th comment:
I think that sounds awesome Orrin. It would really make sense to me that a zone change over time after all the epic battles and actions that take place in it have happened..even if it's really just for show.

Just curious, what size units (a troop?) were ya thinking of using? I would think that smaller groups like squads would be easier to work with. maybe focus more on leaders and subleaders? It's definatly something to ponder, I always felt that one of MUDs' strongpoint were often their AI.
22 Jun, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 12th comment:
I always felt that one of MUDs' strongpoint were often their AI.

Did you have any particular MUDs in mind? I have the opposite feeling, and have often felt that AIs have been rather poor, so if you could point me to some good ones I'd be interested in seeing them.
22 Jun, 2010, Jhypsy Shah wrote in the 13th comment:
I'm comparing textbased to every other game I've played. Just to name a few..

legendmud comes to mind. For instance there was a scholar mob who once corrected me with a lesson (i before e) because I can't spell :/ Also the fairy zone in ancient ireland also comes to mind, the fey mobs seem to get angry when ya torment them, they may voice insults to certain words said or trip you or laugh. I believe the mobs in the future time zone have their own ecomony..been a while.

I believe it was xyllomer who has mobs that can track ya down and end up taking vengence on someone else's character who happens to have the same features as yours, at the wrong place at the wrong time..

The zone called "gangland" and any spin off of it comes to mind as well. Dunno who did it, maybe it's ROM stock? Two factions of trolls and ogres come from opposite ends, to meet and fight in the middle and nuetral enforcers (much like guards) deal with them when they do.

I think triggers (er, mob-progs, scripts?) for bribing guards and even having non-quest related npcs intereact to emotes and situation, such as just feeding fido and being followed, aren't that uncommon..

Ya can also find new ways to interact with mobs, for instance, I use to like to charm pickpockets and thieves and make them invisible, maybe try to hand them junk to keep them in the same spot where traffic comes through..and collect it later.

I always saw it as rather flexible.
22 Jun, 2010, Runter wrote in the 14th comment:
David Haley said:
I always felt that one of MUDs' strongpoint were often their AI.

Did you have any particular MUDs in mind? I have the opposite feeling, and have often felt that AIs have been rather poor, so if you could point me to some good ones I'd be interested in seeing them.

Many muds I've played the AI was nonexistent. I've yet to have seen one that does more than the basics you've come to expect from other genres of games at face value. So I'd agree with David here.
23 Jun, 2010, KaVir wrote in the 15th comment:
Jhypsy Shah said:

I've considered it, even started doing some work on it, but I never really fleshed the concept out or got anything playable. Here are a couple of my favourite ideas:

Mud minigames as facebook applications: Something like a cross between Farm Town and Dungeon Keeper, you can design and populate your own dungeon, and earn points from killing greedy adventurers. From the mudder's perspective, this would be regular game content - new dungeons that would be "discovered" every so often, where you could explore and earn treasure.

Two games, one world: A browser-based RTS war game which shares the same world as the mud. The browser gamers would build up their villages and fight their neighbours. Mudders would see the world dynamically changing around them with new settlements springing up every so often, some prospering, others being wiped out, and these would provide a source of jobs and missions.
23 Jun, 2010, Orrin wrote in the 16th comment:
KaVir said:
Something like a cross between Farm Town and Dungeon Keeper, you can design and populate your own dungeon, and earn points from killing greedy adventurers. From the mudder's perspective, this would be regular game content - new dungeons that would be "discovered" every so often, where you could explore and earn treasure.

I like the Dungeon Keeper idea, but on a smaller scale it could also work as a kind of "virtual pet" thing where web/facebook players design and train monsters which are then released into the MUD for players to battle.
23 Jun, 2010, KaVir wrote in the 17th comment:
Orrin said:
KaVir said:
Something like a cross between Farm Town and Dungeon Keeper, you can design and populate your own dungeon, and earn points from killing greedy adventurers. From the mudder's perspective, this would be regular game content - new dungeons that would be "discovered" every so often, where you could explore and earn treasure.

I like the Dungeon Keeper idea, but on a smaller scale it could also work as a kind of "virtual pet" thing where web/facebook players design and train monsters which are then released into the MUD for players to battle.

Interestingly enough I was also discussing something similar recently, except the idea was to have it as a marketing toy for anonymous website visitors - the option to create Visitor-generated content, using some sort of Monster builder tool to quickly produce mobs that can be unleashed on the mud. The visitor could then come back at any time to see how well their monster was doing, and would be tracked by IP address to avoid the need to create a user account.
23 Jun, 2010, Jhypsy Shah wrote in the 18th comment:
awesome, browsed the links. Curious if any of ya were thinking of using an app simular to a fashion/dress-up game for something like that..

I don't mean to change the topic because user generated content sounds interesting but I've wondered if anyone else thought that a mud might benefit from from having a pirate kind of game client attached to it. It seems that would help flesh out 'ship to ship' and 'ship to town' combat in a mud. Also it seems the landlocked towns would stay free of such direct attacks and might help keep the game balanced.

..I like the idea of trade wars, I feel it's so often left out of rpgs. There was a flash game called Caravaneer (landbased trade) that I thought was pretty cool.
13 Aug, 2010, Fevenis wrote in the 19th comment:
I've also been doing some work on a Flash client, those it's very basic and currently just a learning project =). If I were to direct anyone to use a solid web based client, I'd direct them to DecafMUD.
14 Aug, 2010, Idealiad wrote in the 20th comment:
Is Decaf even available?
0.0/21