11 Aug, 2010, GhostInAProgram wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I am the creator of a newly created MUD called Maliss.

I've never ran a MUD before, but I have what it takes to
make a good story.

I know that if I want to make a good story, a good MUD, and
a world that anyone could pick up and love; I need good
builders. People that I can trust and have fun with.

So I'm coming to you, the builders, with no 'real' theme or
any basis for my world. I mean of course I have a few good
ideas floating around in my mind, but I would like some help
to make these ideas whole.

I can tell you that I won't let you down and if I do I'll
apologize and try again.

This is MAliss' info: Sheldan 6666 [173.28.12.230]
I really hope that I'll see you guys there!

-Ghost
11 Aug, 2010, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 2nd comment:
EDIT:

Sorry, didn't see that you stated you created a new mud.
But how can this be? The other day you were asking simple questions.

Do you mean you have written your own Mud in the last week? Or do you mean to say that
you are the "admin" of a stock mud that you downloaded and hosted over the weekend?

If you have chosen a stock mud such as SMAUG or ROM, I would add that information to your
promotion.
11 Aug, 2010, GhostInAProgram wrote in the 3rd comment:
It's DS2 I believe.
11 Aug, 2010, Oliver wrote in the 4th comment:
After briefly connecting to his MUD, it seems like it is some sort of Dead Souls derivative.
11 Aug, 2010, GhostInAProgram wrote in the 5th comment:
I just said that Oliver…
11 Aug, 2010, Cratylus wrote in the 6th comment:
GhostInAProgram said:
I am the creator of a newly created MUD called Maliss.

Starting up a stock codebase is not the same thing as being "the creator of a newly created mud"

Oliver said:
After briefly connecting to his MUD, it seems like it is some sort of Dead Souls derivative.

I do try to discourage people from pretending DS is something other than a start: http://dead-souls.net/ds-admin-faq.html#...
Clearly this is not always effective.

GhostInAProgram said:
I know that if I want to make a good story, a good MUD, and
a world that anyone could pick up and love; I need good
builders. People that I can trust and have fun with.

There is more to making a mud than being a newcomer with good ideas.

http://lpmuds.net/newcomer.html
12 Aug, 2010, Oliver wrote in the 7th comment:
Whoops. Sorry for posting after you, GhostInAProgram. Didn't catch your reply.

Anyway, what everyone else has posted is correct. You can't really call something a new MUD if it's just a packaged piece of stock code.

That said, it doesn't mean your ideas aren't good; it doesn't mean you can't make your own MUD. You should just try to avoid referring to it as "new" until there's actually something new about it. People on here tend to get a little bit antsy when they think someone's trying to pass off a stock MUD as something other than just that– a stock MUD.
12 Aug, 2010, GhostInAProgram wrote in the 8th comment:
I wasn't trying to make it seem like I built everything and obviously it looked that way. For that I am sorry.

Yes it's a stock MUD, but I'm working on getting everything down and I'm actually working a new area 'Ghost Town'.

No, I didn't create the stock MUD, but yes I am the creator of Maliss which is my MUD. It's stock now and thanks for the person who created it for people to use, but I'm going to rip the guts out of it and replace it with my guts. :]

Again, you can come help/hang out/ or play at Sheldan 6666 [173.28.12.230]

-Ghost
12 Aug, 2010, bbailey wrote in the 9th comment:
GhostInAProgram said:

-Ghost

It may be beneficial to either advertise the fully-qualified domain name of your mud's host, or else drop the hostname and merely give the IP and port. I've no ideal what "Sheldan" is, but I suspect it is the local hostname of the machine in question, which means little to the internet at large without its accompanying domain name. If the machine has no FQDN (due perhaps to service through a residential ISP without a static IP address), it may be worth getting one. I've had good results using free dynamic DNS services (www.dyndns.com, www.no-ip.com, etc) for self-hosted projects at home.

In any case, the presence of a meaningless local hostname casts an unflattering light on your technical competency, which could be avoided.

Good luck with the project!
12 Aug, 2010, GhostInAProgram wrote in the 10th comment:
bbailey said:
GhostInAProgram said:

-Ghost

It may be beneficial to either advertise the fully-qualified domain name of your mud's host, or else drop the hostname and merely give the IP and port. I've no ideal what "Sheldan" is, but I suspect it is the local hostname of the machine in question, which means little to the internet at large without its accompanying domain name. If the machine has no FQDN (due perhaps to service through a residential ISP without a static IP address), it may be worth getting one. I've had good results using free dynamic DNS services (www.dyndns.com, www.no-ip.com, etc) for self-hosted projects at home.

In any case, the presence of a meaningless local hostname casts an unflattering light on your technical competency, which could be avoided.

Good luck with the project!

Awesome. <shrugs>
12 Aug, 2010, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 11th comment:
Yes it's a stock MUD, but I'm working on getting everything down and I'm actually working a new area 'Ghost Town'.

Even if you have 25 original areas, it will still be "stock" until you add new functionality.
Give yourself time to learn LPC and really Dead-Souls if you expect to run a successful MUD. If I liked LPC more I would
really like to use DS3. Crat's "newcommer" doc is written for a reason, it's meant to help you.
12 Aug, 2010, GhostInAProgram wrote in the 12th comment:
JohnnyStarr said:

Even if you have 25 original areas, it will still be "stock" until you add new functionality.
Give yourself time to learn LPC and really Dead-Souls if you expect to run a successful MUD. If I liked LPC more I would
really like to use DS3. Crat's "newcommer" doc is written for a reason, it's meant to help you.

I have been and I noticed that the whole MUD is done in C and I've had way more experience with it than Python.
I know a lot about the workings now. I've been reading A LOT. Lol.

-Ghost
12 Aug, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 13th comment:
Hmm? The parts of DS2 that you're likely to be editing are in LPC, not C, although the syntax is similar which is probably why you thought it was C.
12 Aug, 2010, Cratylus wrote in the 14th comment:
GhostInAProgram said:
I noticed that the whole MUD is done in C

No it isn't.
12 Aug, 2010, Sharmair wrote in the 15th comment:
David Haley said:
Hmm? The parts of DS2 that you're likely to be editing are in LPC, not C, although the syntax is similar which is probably why you thought it was C.

Or it could be an artifact of the LPC developers being so much C coder want-to-bes that
they called their LPC files C files.
12 Aug, 2010, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 16th comment:
I think because the files end in .c he thought it was C.
12 Aug, 2010, Cratylus wrote in the 17th comment:
Sharmair said:
Or it could be an artifact of the LPC developers being so much C coder want-to-bes that they called their LPC files C files.

i see how it is
12 Aug, 2010, Runter wrote in the 18th comment:
Lpc does look like c to the untrained eye.
12 Aug, 2010, GhostInAProgram wrote in the 19th comment:
Okay. Still looks like C to me.
12 Aug, 2010, Lyanic wrote in the 20th comment:
GhostInAProgram said:
Okay. Still looks like C to me.

I don't normally post in these types of threads, but you should really do some research before making any further posts. Read lots of tutorials online. Go for breadth and depth. Otherwise, you will continue to do yourself a disservice.
0.0/24