21 Jul, 2010, ersin1998 wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
# make
bash: root@turkmud:/home/mud/ersin/shadow/src#: No such file or directory
root@turkmud:/home/mud/ersin/shadow/src# rm -f shadow
root@turkmud:/home/mud/ersin/shadow/src# gcc -ggdb -o shadow act_comm.o act_enter.o act_info.o act_mob.o act_move.o act_obj.o act_wiz.o alias.o arena.o auction.o bank.o ban.o bard.o bit.o board.o comm.o const.o cmdedit.o db.o db2.o effects.o fight.o flags.o gquest.o guild.o handler.o healer.o hedit.o instaroom.o interp.o lookup.o lycanth.o magic.o magic2.o mem.o mine.o mob_cmds.o mob_prog.o object_cond.o olc_mpcode.o map.o mount.o music.o multiclass.o nanny.o olc_act.o olc_save.o olc_load_rooms.o olc_load_mobs.o olc_load_objs.o olc_save_new.o olc.o religion.o recycle.o save.o scan.o skills.o skill_save.o social.o special.o string.o quest.o tables.o timer.o unique.o update.o wizlist.o stat.o weather.o trivia.o house.o buffer.o mail.o who.c client.o mccp.o marry.o -lcrypt -lz
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lz
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [shadow] Error 1
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lz
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

hi, i can't make the shadowstorm code.
which library i have to install, or where is the problem?
21 Jul, 2010, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 2nd comment:
It sounds like it might be zlib, which is a compression library.
21 Jul, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 3rd comment:
Yes, it's zlib.

(And why oh why do people do all of this as root? :sad:)
22 Jul, 2010, ralgith wrote in the 4th comment:
David Haley said:
Yes, it's zlib.

(And why oh why do people do all of this as root? :sad:)

I don't know… isn't the first lesson to Linux Newbies to "Not use root unless you can't do your task without it!"?

It was MY first lesson in *NIX OS usage…

Second being ls, cd, and other simple commands… ;)
23 Jul, 2010, Chris Bailey wrote in the 5th comment:
With things like su/sudo at your disposal, you should *RARELY* need to be logged in as root. =)
23 Jul, 2010, ralgith wrote in the 6th comment:
Chris Bailey said:
With things like su/sudo at your disposal, you should *RARELY* need to be logged in as root. =)

And even those shouldn't have to be used very often. Only things I su for more than once every 4-6mo is to install software system wide and perform full system virus scans. Only thing else I can think of that I would need to su for is conf file changes… but since I have all of those already done even they aren't an issue :)

I figure if you don't want to take advantage of *NIX OS' security measures protecting the system via root and normal user permissions schema, then you should be using a distro that has a good single user mode… and of course using that distro IN single user mode. But that's just a little too Windowsesque for me, and defeats the purpose.
23 Jul, 2010, Davion wrote in the 7th comment:
ralgith said:
Chris Bailey said:

And even those shouldn't have to be used very often. Only things I su for more than once every 4-6mo is to install software system wide and perform full system virus scans. Only thing else I can think of that I would need to su for is conf file changes… but since I have all of those already done even they aren't an issue :)

I figure if you don't want to take advantage of *NIX OS' security measures protecting the system via root and normal user permissions schema, then you should be using a distro that has a good single user mode… and of course using that distro IN single user mode. But that's just a little too Windowsesque for me, and defeats the purpose.

Haha, well, I guess it depends on how you use it ;). Some servers I have, have multiple users, and in order to switch between them, I double it up ;). "sudo su - john" allows me to hop from user to user in one single line, and not have to remember a bajillion different passwords.
23 Jul, 2010, ralgith wrote in the 8th comment:
Davion said:
Haha, well, I guess it depends on how you use it ;). Some servers I have, have multiple users, and in order to switch between them, I double it up ;). "sudo su - john" allows me to hop from user to user in one single line, and not have to remember a bajillion different passwords.

Ah, yes, that is on a server though. Not on a private home system like myself. I doubt the people in question are on servers either… unless they built their own home server (I'm staring at a 3 machine server cluster in the corner at the moment, however it isn't in use lol). Still, you do have a point ;)

Out of curiosity… why are you running commands as several different users? Even on a server? Typically when my server was operational I would just monitor my users, not run commands as them :D
23 Jul, 2010, Davion wrote in the 9th comment:
I mean "users" as in the login sense, not necessarily real people. It makes me feel less lonely! :biggrin:.

Seriously though, it's just a way to separate stuff so it's easier to manage. Some people use folder structures, I use users.
23 Jul, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 10th comment:
It makes sense to use users for different applications that shouldn't be able to read/write each other's data without going through very specific channels. And then, it can be convenient to switch between them as you work on the system. I don't think it makes much sense as a replacement for folders on a filesystem, but that's just me. :wink:
0.0/10