19 Jul, 2010, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Anyone prefer boost libraries to standard?
If so, could you give an example of what you like about it?
19 Jul, 2010, ralgith wrote in the 2nd comment:
Truth be told, I've never used them as I've not yet had the time to go that in depth with any C++ program. Something I do intend to remedy eventually… but raising a child really puts a crimp in your free time for learning new things.
19 Jul, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 3rd comment:
I looked into boost a few times but never really got into it. Every time I tried, I kept thinking to myself that it was C++ trying very hard to be Python/Lua/Ruby, and still having its high-ceremony syntax. If I had need to write a very high-performance application, I might try harder, but honestly I've not found justification for it yet.
20 Jul, 2010, Omega wrote in the 4th comment:
I use the boost libraries in my graphic game development, and even then I don't use it that much because of complexity issue's. While it is a great library, I find that sometimes it can over complicate simple things.
20 Jul, 2010, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 5th comment:
Darien said:
While it is a great library, I find that sometimes it can over complicate simple things.

I've sort of come to the same conclusion. I thought that BOOST_FOREACH might be interesting to use here and there, but
at the end of the day, it doesn't keep me from writing a lot of code. Plus, it took way to long to get it to work with the compiler, and yet I still get warnings.

The STL seems like enough to accomplish what I want to do with my ROM project, so it doesn't look like boost is the way to go for now.
20 Jul, 2010, Davion wrote in the 6th comment:
I've fiddled with boost in the past, and I generally enjoyed it. I found it a bit overcomplicated for what it accomplished. But I must say, if I had to choose between the raw Python API and boost::python, I'd take the boost lib any day of the week. It lets you embed python with around 1/10th the code it'd normally take.
20 Jul, 2010, Tyche wrote in the 7th comment:
JohnnyStarr said:
Anyone prefer boost libraries to standard?
If so, could you give an example of what you like about it?

Boost doesn't overlap much with the STL, and most of the libraries are quite dependent on STL.
It used to be much easier to decouple a library you were interested in from the rest of Boost and use it.
I don't see it as any sort of replacement or alternative to C++ STL.
21 Jul, 2010, Kaz wrote in the 8th comment:
I find the Boost libraries essential in any modern C++ project.
21 Jul, 2010, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 9th comment:
Kaz said:

Which libraries do you like most?
Could you give a brief example?
21 Jul, 2010, Noplex wrote in the 10th comment:
JohnnyStarr said:
Kaz said:

Boost.Thread, Boost.Array, Boost.Uuid, and shared_ptr. There are many others that I haven't used that I would plan on using, Boost.Factory, Asio, but require a little bit of fiddling to make sure you use them properly. I do not have much of an interest for Lambda, but apparently that is getting into the new standard as well.
22 Jul, 2010, Kaz wrote in the 11th comment:
JohnnyStarr said:
Kaz said:

With my current pet project, I've been keeping count: Asio, Bind, ConceptCheck, CallTraits, Foreach, Format, Function, Iterator, Lambda, Optional, ProgramOptions, SmartPtr, Signals, Spirit, StringAlgo, TypeTraits, Variant.

The most immediately useful is always Boost.SmartPtr. shared_ptr<> just takes so much hassle out of memory management. Asio is excellent for dealing with the sockets and more and more providing a general "tasking" abstraction. Variant is one I don't use so much, but was just the ticket in a particular region of the code (actually my telnet parser). Lambda is used mostly in unit testing callback mechanisms (such as Signals), where I use it to mock up a small function object that sets a couple of function-local variables if the callback was fired, which I can then query as part of the test.

My actual favourite is Spirit by far, mostly for sheer amazement value, as well as its utility (although the compile times suck).
Random Picks
0.0/11