05 Jul, 2010, Michael wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hello,

I am a long time MUD player and an avid networking enthusiast. By profession I am a network technician and I spend my days going from store to store fixing networking problems, replacing hardware, running wires, etc. I don't play MUDs much these days due to my busy schedules, but I feel after 10+ years of getting help from other MUDders and being greatful for free hosting, I thought it was time to put together a decent server and offer free MUD services to whomever may need them. At the moment I am currently accepting a few new users for my new MUD hosting site. I have been running it currently for 2 months with a couple users who have been running their MUDs and helping me identify what packages most people need. My goal is to go live with a website and everything at the beginning of September. I offer the following services, everything is free:

Hardware Specifications:
Debian 5.0.4 32-bit
AMD Athlon II 620 X4 2.61 GHz Quad-Core CPU
3GB DDR2 PC2-6400 800 MHz Kingston Memory
2x320 GB SATA2 3.0 Gb/s WDC Hard Drives (RAID1 Configuration)
Apache 2.2, PHP5.3, MySQL Server 5.1, GCC 4.3 (some older versions available)
UPS Backup

Network Specifications:
3.0Mbit/768Kbit ADSL w/ Static IP
UPS Backup on all network switching points (main switches and router)
*Note: Although this server is not located in my home, it is however, located in a professional business environment at which I do tech support for. They have allowed me to use their rack space for a personal server. Just thought I'd clear that up before someone complained about it being a home server or something. Its strictly a MUD hosting server.

Environment Specifications:
24/7 Monitoring
Generator Backup

User Setup:
500MB Disk Space
3.0% CPU and MEM Usage (90mb of RAM)
10 Simultaneous Logins
Website with PHP/CGI/Perl
1 MySQL Database with phpMyAdmin (more databases available if needed)
Free Domain Hosting (I do not purchases domains for users)
Free Email Hosting (500Mb Quota, 10 Mailboxes, 5 Aliases)
Daily Backups

If you are interested in helping me out or need some free hosting, contact me at michael@themudhost.net and let me know what I can do for you. I look forward to receiving a few emails. Thanks!
05 Jul, 2010, Brinson wrote in the 2nd comment:
Seems like a good deal and idea. Only problem I see is…why only 10 simultaneous logins? That seems silly, and low. An extra login consumes a tiny amount of bandwidth. Limiting it seems a bit odd to me. 10 is also really low. The last project I worked on had more than that in builders alone.
05 Jul, 2010, Runter wrote in the 3rd comment:
Sounds like he might be talking about shell logins.
06 Jul, 2010, Michael wrote in the 4th comment:
Yeah. When I say 10 simultaneous logins I am referring to the shell logins. As far as max players connected, I have no limit for that. I figure 10 shell logins is more then enough for 2-3 coders. Anyways, sorry for the confusion! :D
0.0/4