27 May, 2010, ryante wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Lensmoor just celebrated its 13th birthday. This MUD is a heavily modified ROM by a very talented coder and owner. We have bells and whistles that you may not have seen before.

Roleplaying is optional, but highly encouraged
PK is optional
Over 25 races to play
Over 180 levels to play
21 specializations to choose from (this is not a class-based system however.)
Two continents to choose from
Full crafting system complete with item appearance/description customization
Build your own house
Build your own shop
Create your own clan or join an existing clan (both PK and Non-PK clans available)
Marriage in game
Procreation in game (Yes, you can have children. Playable children. Yay for RP)
Full status system including positive, negative, and RP status to award other players based on their actions
Plus so much more to list.

Come give us a try. Create a character and if you need any help or have any questions just ask on the NEWBIEHELP channel. We're very newbie friendly and would love to help you get started.

www.Lensmoor.org port 3500
27 May, 2010, Chris Bailey wrote in the 2nd comment:
We have bells and whistles that you may not have seen before.

It is SO refreshing to read that instead of the promotions that insist on being entirely unique because of their fairly standard features. +1
27 May, 2010, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 3rd comment:
Checked it out, it has 104 unique areas, not bad!
28 May, 2010, KaVir wrote in the 4th comment:
Reminds me of a message from my quotefile…

Ragnar chats, 'So I go on mudconnect, and there's this mud called lensmoor. I go to check it out. I quit after the first fight, because I recieved this message. The city guard's confident grab injures your vitals.'
28 May, 2010, Igabod wrote in the 5th comment:
I've always thought the way attacks are described in rom was laughable.

Your punch scratches a giant rat.
A giant rats bite scratches you.

A giant rat misses you.

Your punch OBLITERATES a giant rat!
A giant rat misses you.

A giant rat is DEAD!!

How can the "obliterating" punch not kill the rat yet a scratching punch does? It just seems funny to me.
29 May, 2010, ryante wrote in the 6th comment:
Chris Bailey said:
We have bells and whistles that you may not have seen before.

It is SO refreshing to read that instead of the promotions that insist on being entirely unique because of their fairly standard features. +1

Thanks. The idea message board on Lensmoor is actually utilized by the players almost daily. Arawn, the owner and coder of the mud has set up a voting system for posted ideas so that he can get a full opinionated range of views on each specific idea before choosing or not choosing what to do. Many of the features in the game are player suggested.

The staff is working daily to bring new ideas or recommendations to life as well as building new zones.

KaVir said:

Ragnar chats, 'So I go on mudconnect, and there's this mud called lensmoor. I go to check it out. I quit after the first fight, because I recieved this message. The city guard's confident grab injures your vitals.'

There is no "grab" damage in the game. City guards in the main city of New Lensmoor do wield daggers at times so I could see how "stab" might read like grab.

Either way, I doubt many ROMs claim that regular combat is the reason to play a game in the first place.

Igabod said:
I've always thought the way attacks are described in rom was laughable.

A giant rats bite scratches you.

A giant rat misses you.

Your punch OBLITERATES a giant rat!
A giant rat misses you.

A giant rat is DEAD!!

How can the "obliterating" punch not kill the rat yet a scratching punch does? It just seems funny to me.

This is because a mob has a set amount of health.

If a mob has 1 HP left, and the message for "OBLITERATES" means you've dealt over 20% damage, you're left with the smallest damage message, scratches.

We don't have that sort of restriction. If you're doing "devastating" damage and you get the mob to its last HP, you're "devastating" whatever type of damage will be what kills it most likely.

Thanks for the response guys. Come by and play some time. And you guys realize, beeboping in and whacking a few newbie mobs doesn't show a MUD's quality. If you do that looking for a new game you'll be bouncing around MUDs forever.
29 May, 2010, Runter wrote in the 7th comment:
An interesting incremental change that I've used in the past from that system is one that uses a relative damage verb, and an absolute adjective. It won't make everyone happy, but it makes the system a little more logical (and easier to follow for experienced players.)

You graze a giant rat with your moderate punch.
A giant rats scratches you with his pathetic bite.

You hurt a giant rat with your vicious punch.
A giant rat misses you.

You ravage a giant rat with your moderate punch.
A giant rat misses you.

You OBLITERATE a giant rat with your moderate punch.
A giant rat is DEAD!!

If it's not clear, the format with this system is "You <verb> target with your <absolute_adj> <dam_type>."
I.e. the verb is relative to the damage it deals as a percent of the targets health pool whereas the adjective describes the exact amount of damage dealt. It won't solve complaints from everyone, but it solves some of the basic logical flaws. Then they'll be down to nitpicking which words you choose to describe different percent damage and the absolute damage. :)
29 May, 2010, 3squire wrote in the 8th comment:
Even better would be to round up damage for final blows such that if the next required blow to kill would be at or beneath the current blow's calculated damage output, elevate the amount of damage to the amount necessary to kill the target and output the appropriate damage text – this would be equivalent to a devastating killing strike.

So rather than obliterate + scratch you do === OBLITERATES === in one blow which is the equivalent to adding the two. As a balance issue, the effects would be minimal at best, but it would always render killing strikes stronger than any others in the previous battle, something which would seem appropriate.
29 May, 2010, ryante wrote in the 9th comment:
Hah. It turns out I knew even less about Lensmoor than I thought.

The current code is originally based off of the Diku code base. I realized this when I read the helpfile for our damage system:

DAMAGE
Lensmoor's damage is different than that found on most DIKU based
systems. Rather than use your armor class as a modifier to a hit roll,
Lensmoor separates armor from hit rolls.

Your armor subtracts damage from each hit you take. It is possible
to hit an opponent and do them no damage. When you do damage, a message
is generated based on the percent of your opponent's total hit points that
you did. The messages at higher damage values are based on the type of damage
done. Each message also contains an adverb that reflects how successful
your attack was (how violent?). This reflects the raw number of hit
points that you got past your opponent's armor.

The damage messages, in order of damage | The adverbs are:
dealt are: |
| Pathetic
Miss | Puny
Doesn't hurt | Tentative
Scratch | Adequate
Graze | Competent
Hurt | Accomplished
Injure | Proficient
Wound | Skillful
Puncture / Pound / Scar / Blast | Masterful
Skewer / Hammer / Cut / Disfigure | Mighty
Impale / Crush / Rip / Annihilate | Vicious
Eviscerate / Maim / Mutilate / Consume | Powerful
Run Through / Pulverize / Shred / Disintegrate| Demolishing
Perforate / Shatter / Lacerate / Destroy | Devastating
| Destructive

I, myself, am not a coder. I don't know too much about the difference between many of the different options out there. :)

Anywho. I think this is kinda what you were talking about, right Runter?
29 May, 2010, KaVir wrote in the 10th comment:
ryante said:
KaVir said:

There is no "grab" damage in the game. City guards in the main city of New Lensmoor do wield daggers at times so I could see how "stab" might read like grab.

Either way, I doubt many ROMs claim that regular combat is the reason to play a game in the first place.

For the record, I wasn't criticising the mud, I just found the imagery of the quoted combat message rather funny.

Good to see Arawn is still active.
29 May, 2010, Runter wrote in the 11th comment:

It appears so. I think it's more appealing than standard rom system, certainly. There doesn't seem to be many muds that do it this way either, so I'm a little surprised to see someone else doing it as well. :)
30 May, 2010, Lyanic wrote in the 12th comment:
ryante said:

The current code is originally based off of the Diku code base. I realized this when I read the helpfile for our damage system:

Huh? I'm not even sure how to read that. Are you saying it started as plain Diku (and not a derivative)? Or are you saying that you thought it was a non-Dikurivative before (such as an LP)? Either way, you would be wrong. Lensmoor is Diku/Merc/ROM….
30 May, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 13th comment:
Umm, the first post said:
This MUD is a heavily modified ROM

Why is there discussion about what kind of MUD it is? (Maybe Ryante didn't know that ROM is a Dikurivative…)
01 Jun, 2010, Koron wrote in the 14th comment:
ryante said:

DAMAGE
Lensmoor's damage is different than that found on most DIKU based
systems. Rather than use your armor class as a modifier to a hit roll,
Lensmoor separates armor from hit rolls.

Your armor subtracts damage from each hit you take. It is possible
to hit an opponent and do them no damage. When you do damage, a message
is generated based on the percent of your opponent's total hit points that
you did. The messages at higher damage values are based on the type of damage
done. Each message also contains an adverb that reflects how successful
your attack was (how violent?). This reflects the raw number of hit
points that you got past your opponent's armor.

The damage messages, in order of damage | The adverbs are:
dealt are: |
| Pathetic
Miss | Puny
Doesn't hurt | Tentative
Scratch | Adequate
Graze | Competent
Hurt | Accomplished
Injure | Proficient
Wound | Skillful
Puncture / Pound / Scar / Blast | Masterful
Skewer / Hammer / Cut / Disfigure | Mighty
Impale / Crush / Rip / Annihilate | Vicious
Eviscerate / Maim / Mutilate / Consume | Powerful
Run Through / Pulverize / Shred / Disintegrate| Demolishing
Perforate / Shatter / Lacerate / Destroy | Devastating
| Destructive

I, myself, am not a coder. I don't know too much about the difference between many of the different options out there. :)

I'm all kinds of digging on this discussion, and I have no desire to derail it, but those are not adverbs. :sad:
02 Jun, 2010, Chris Bailey wrote in the 15th comment:
Yeah, those are definitely a list of adjectives. Perhaps you should update the list to say Pathetically, Punily, and so on.
03 Jun, 2010, Runter wrote in the 16th comment:
Chris Bailey said:
Yeah, those are definitely a list of adjectives. Perhaps you should update the list to say Pathetically, Punily, and so on.

He uses them as adjectives. He just needs to change what the help file calls them.
03 Jun, 2010, Chris Bailey wrote in the 17th comment:
Runter said:
Chris Bailey said:

He uses them as adjectives. He just needs to change what the help file calls them.

That would be entirely too easy. :P
03 Jun, 2010, flumpy wrote in the 18th comment:
Chris Bailey said:

Demolishingly?

hmnh
04 Jun, 2010, Chris Bailey wrote in the 19th comment:
Oops, looks like the list was hiding some transitives.
04 Jun, 2010, snwclown wrote in the 20th comment:
ahh more bashing , may the games begin muhahahahahaha
0.0/24