25 May, 2010, soulnafein wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hello guys,
I working on a new codebase from scratch (yes I now I'm crazy).
I used to play on an italian mud which used a proprietor engine and it was the best mud I ever played (Intensive RP, Skill Based and client with few graphical enhancements like icons and maps). I now want to create something similar and share it as open-source.
I'm have few years of experience as a professional developer and I can use a variety of languages (Java/C#/Ruby/C++). I'm using Ruby for this mud codebase.
In about one month of work (few hours per week) I managed to create the basics: imported a basic diku world (just locations and exits), basic items/inventory operations, say and emote commands, character creation/login.
All the code has been developed using Test Driven Development so there is a test coverage of over 94% which allow to change/refactor the code quickly without introducing bugs.
In order to create a good engine though it is best to pull features by real world needs so the best way to do so is to create as soon as possible a very basic playable mud and growing it following the needs of players/builders.
So I'm looking for brave and possibly experienced builders/game creators that wants to try something different and that can have personalised tools built for them.
Developers are also welcome for server development if they have experience with dynamic languages (Ruby, Python, LUA and so on) or for the client if they have experience with any language that runs on the Java Virtual Machine.
The codebase can be found here http://github.com/soulnafein/jewel-mud and the todo list can be found here: http://jewel-mud.lighthouseapp.com/proje...
**EDITED TO REMOVE SUBJECTIVE OPINION**
25 May, 2010, soulnafein wrote in the 2nd comment:
I forgot to say that I am also collaborating with another developer so I'm not doing everything alone :)
25 May, 2010, Kline wrote in the 3rd comment:
soulnafein said:
<snip> I'm quite a decent developer <snip>

This is a very subjective statement that I hope you'll substantiate lest you be met with the hostility of the dev herd here. Reasons why? Well, these are your first two posts here; ever. Most people here are devs themselves and we see a lot of these "Hey guys I'm awesome and need a few more people for my super great project" posts by new people we don't know. Worth wasting time chasing after each one? No, not really. So please, prove your merit and you may have better luck recruiting from here.
25 May, 2010, Chris Bailey wrote in the 4th comment:
How about you go look at the codebase in question, since it is quite public, and determine his "worth" yourself?
25 May, 2010, Orrin wrote in the 5th comment:
Kline said:
This is a very subjective statement that I hope you'll substantiate lest you be met with the hostility of the dev herd here. Reasons why? Well, these are your first two posts here; ever. Most people here are devs themselves and we see a lot of these "Hey guys I'm awesome and need a few more people for my super great project" posts by new people we don't know. Worth wasting time chasing after each one? No, not really. So please, prove your merit and you may have better luck recruiting from here.

He posted his code, so presumably interested parties can assess this for themselves.

Ninja'd by Chris!

And to the OP, good luck with your project and there are a few Ruby types around here so I'm sure you'll get some interest.
25 May, 2010, soulnafein wrote in the 6th comment:
I've removed the subjective statement and transformed it in something a bit more objective.
Thanks for the quick feedback.
25 May, 2010, Chris Bailey wrote in the 7th comment:
and to the OP, good luck with your project and there are a few Ruby types around here so I'm sure you'll get some interest.

I've been perusing his work, maybe I'll toss in some quick fixes for some of those bugs :P

Edit: fixed a typo.
Edit: Forgot to mention why I edited the first time.
25 May, 2010, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 8th comment:
I like the looks of this project!
(scratches imaginary goatee)
25 May, 2010, soulnafein wrote in the 9th comment:
Some of the bug listed on the bug tracking have been already solved.
Other problems are things voluntarily de-prioritised (e.g. there is no proper logout/disconnection management)
Please drop me an email if interested at soulnafein_AT_gmail.com
25 May, 2010, Runter wrote in the 10th comment:
I read it before you edited it and I thought it was fine. You're here to sell yourself on a promotions forum. You probably should talk yourself up.
25 May, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 11th comment:
I didn't think it was so bad, really. Plus, as others have said, there's code out there, so the proof will or won't be in the pudding, as it were.
26 May, 2010, kiasyn wrote in the 12th comment:
Looking at the todo list a lot of the items seem quite old - is the list out of date, or has progress just paused for a bit?
26 May, 2010, lockewarrior wrote in the 13th comment:
hey soulnafein -

this looks pretty cool! glad to see someone starting something new with some dynamic languages. I'm a lua guy, but I'm starting to investigate Ruby. I was checking out Runter's CoralMUD recently, you might have a look at that. Glad there's something else to examine, tho! I'll be in touch.

Do you have your own platform for collaboration, e.g. a forum or such?

Kline said:
soulnafein said:
<snip> I'm quite a decent developer <snip>

This is a worthless post. He rather concisely describes his goals, his needs, and his means, as well as links to source.

You waste my bandwidth with 7 lines describing one line of his post as subjective.
26 May, 2010, soulnafein wrote in the 14th comment:
kiasyn said:
Looking at the todo list a lot of the items seem quite old - is the list out of date, or has progress just paused for a bit?

Me and the other dev were on on holiday last week + I worked on a refactoring (not listed in the tracking app) that I committed on monday.
31 May, 2010, soulnafein wrote in the 15th comment:
UP This. Still looking for builders!
01 Jun, 2010, Igabod wrote in the 16th comment:
what type of online creation system are you going with? Are you going with a typical command-line interface for building or will it be menu driven or even web-browser based? I'll go and check out the links after I click the button to reply.
01 Jun, 2010, Koron wrote in the 17th comment:
Igabod said:
Are you going with a typical command-line interface for building or will it be menu driven or even web-browser based?

I would think that a web-browsed based interface would be far more user friendly although perhaps a bit more work to create. Are there many muds running it this way these days?
01 Jun, 2010, Igabod wrote in the 18th comment:
only one I know of for sure is coffeemud and it's nice but very redundant
01 Jun, 2010, Runter wrote in the 19th comment:
I want to work on a web interface just as a nice feature, but I'm of the opinion that they're not ideal tools for large tedious amounts of building. I think, however, for new builders (or people just new to the codebase in general) they're fantastic. They're also fantastic specifically for tweaking and reviewing.

Of course, I'm willing to admit this is based on my experience with them. I'm sure with the proper considerations someone could make a stellar one.
01 Jun, 2010, Igabod wrote in the 20th comment:
I disagree, I think they're GREAT for large projects. I personally find it annoying using the command line interface to build entire areas. I work faster with the web-based building interface on coffeemud. Before I found it I created an area that took me a little over an hour and a half. After I found the web-based building tool I created 4 areas in less than an hour. 3 medium sized areas and one small one. I think you just have to have a visual representation that is easy to understand. I have to use the z-level mapping option when I build.
0.0/35