11 May, 2010, vidar1987 wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Chronicles of the Blade is up and running again after being down for years, and is now back to stay for good. We were one of the top med/fantasy muds back in the day before it went down due to lack of imms having time. That is no longer a problem though. We are currently looking for builders right now, to revamp certain areas, and build some new ones. Future positions will be open when we get a pbase going again (RP Admin, Clan Admin, etc. etc.) We will not be looking for any coders since me and the co-owner will be the only ones doing any coding. CoTB runs on a modified Rom2.4b6 codebase. If you are interested, please be able to dedicate time to actually build, not come on and disappear right away. I understand we all have real lives, but at least 10 hours a week shouldn't be asking for too much. If you want to come check out the Mud, and apply for a builder position if interested, here is the login info. We are also fully open to the public.

Host: frostmud.com
Port: 8310

Contact either Zaphyre or Faton.
11 May, 2010, Kline wrote in the 2nd comment:
vidar1987 said:
I understand we all have real lives, but at least 10 hours a week shouldn't be asking for too much.

There are 168 hours in my week. Lets break down how I spend in them relation to how much you're really asking of someone.

66 - free (39.27%)
49 - sleep (29.17%)
40 - work (23.81%)
10 - gym (5.97%)
3 - work prep / commute (1.78%)

Free time accounts for time I use to run errands, pay bills, buy groceries, spend time with my wife and kids…etc. Based on my schedule, you're asking for 15% of the time that makes up just under 40% of my week. Are you prepared to offer me a 25% increase in my work salary for what essentially amounts to 25% more time spent "working", albeit for a different person?

tl;dr version below

Given your recent postings asking rudimentary things of "what is the source code" I'm a bit taken aback to see you asking for ill-defined help on your new project, and then particularly stating a minimum hours worked per week. You're asking for volunteers. Beggars can't be choosers. I'll sit quietly now and wait for the oblig Newcomer's Letter link.
11 May, 2010, Runter wrote in the 3rd comment:
Well, yeah. Donating 10 hours a week for a project may be too much for some people, but I think he's not doing anything nefarious by pointing out what he expects. If it's too much for you, clearly this wouldn't be a project you should waste your (or his?) time perusing. It's almost certain some people will be able to commit an hour and 15 minutes a day (which I also don't think is unreasonable for an active project). He's just making it clear those are the types of people his project clearly are looking for.

I understand what you're saying about the beggars can't be choosers thing, but there might be a greater point that these types of posts should include this type of information. My only suggestion would be including even more information. If he's being too choosy I'm sure the market will reward him with nobody replying to his post. However, I'm not sure he's hit that threshold yet. :)
11 May, 2010, quixadhal wrote in the 4th comment:
Kline said:
Given your recent postings asking rudimentary things of "what is the source code" I'm a bit taken aback to see you asking for ill-defined help on your new project, and then particularly stating a minimum hours worked per week.

I think the OP should probably have stated that his mud's co-owner would be doing the coding, since someone who isn't familiar with source code has no business touching it.

It might also be worth noting that the asking for a minimum hours is indicative of a manager-mindset. Mangers seldom realize that putting more hours into a project doesn't always make it get done faster, and in fact one or two hours of focused, quality coding or building produced much better results than ten hours of clock-watching work.

I'd take an enthusiastic builder who really enjoys working on stuff whenever he gets in the mood to do it, over one who'll show up every week and plunk out some uninspired rooms on a regular basis. That said, I also don't think 10 hours a week is unrealistic, but I wouldn't stress that as a requirement.
11 May, 2010, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 5th comment:
I imagine most of us spend 10+ hrs a week reading on sites like this forum and others. I agree with quix, an hour
requirement makes it more of a "job" type mindset. I doubt any "salary" person out there would put in the hours
and long nights they do to just get an hourly rate, on the same token, if an "hourly" builder was in the middle of
an awesome idea, would they clock out just because they have been writing from 9 - 10pm?

I agree the OP is trying to weed-out the time wasters, and dead beats, but I think you have to account for
different personalities / learning styles.
11 May, 2010, Runter wrote in the 6th comment:
Putting aside everything else, he's within his right to have that requirement.

Although, personally, I would just make the focus based on the amount of work they must produce to be considered actively part of the staff. Of course, the people who barely log on aren't going to meet that requirement either. Also, in some muds they allow builders who aren't really staff to develop on the building port and they usually don't have these requirements.

It always seems any time this type of thread comes up someone always makes the "it's not a job" argument. That's like making "it's just a game" argument any time someone has a legitimate grievance on their favorite hobby. It may not be a job, but it is more than just a game. It's our hobby. If it's not their hobby, perhaps they probably should stick to just playing or player-building rather than seeking a staff position. It's not unreasonable to ask that someone on the staff have the time to spend before accepting the role. I think he's just being up front about it.
0.0/6