15 Apr, 2010, Baiou wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I'm looking to organize the development of a new mud project. I currently have shell space and am ready to get moving. My aim is launch a mud that runs a serious number of years while developing a new codebase. I'm looking for the following.

Administrator
Someone who has had extensive experience with running a mud and the staff that goes with it. While this is a boss position, this is more of a project management position. Responsibilities unclude keeping the team on schedule and moving forward with the agreed upon ideas of the future development of the mud, hiring and firing mud staff, and keeping record of the suggestive things. It is expected of this person to spend a minimum of 6 hours a week on the mud for starters. Must also be an active member the mudding community. I'm a very classical

Programmers
Must have great knowledge of the codebase programming language. Must be okay with the understanding that they will be implementing decisions made whether they approve of it completely or not. This is not a dictatorship, but progress can not be completed because one person doesn't agree with a change. A unanimous decision of "I can live with that" will be acceptable, all decisions of "no way, no how" will be discussed.

Builders
People who are comfortable with the codebase and can create innovative descriptions to display the ideas and thoughts of the designers. Creative people who can invent and create areas that fit with the story but aren't apart of the main sections.

I'm looking for well rounded people who have great personalities and understand that a team is only as strong as its weakest member. This is a long term goal and I will look over all applications equally and accept for positions that aren't described here. If you feel like you can be a great addition to the team, feel free to apply.

If you or anyone you know is interested, please pm me here.

- Baiou
15 Apr, 2010, Cratylus wrote in the 2nd comment:
Baiou said:
My aim is launch a mud

What kind of mud? What codebase? What theme?

Baiou said:
If you feel like you can be a great addition to the team, feel free to apply.

What do you plan to contribute to that team?

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net/newcomer.html
16 Apr, 2010, Idealiad wrote in the 3rd comment:
Cratylus said:

He's a very classical.
16 Apr, 2010, sam.j.brown wrote in the 4th comment:
Cratylus said:
Baiou said:
My aim is launch a mud

Baiou said:

-Crat

What do you plan to contribute to this forum, well, other than being a troll.
16 Apr, 2010, Lyanic wrote in the 5th comment:
sam.j.brown said:
Cratylus said:
Baiou said:
My aim is launch a mud

Baiou said:

-Crat

I thought he had a decent point. The OP stated absolutely nothing about the project, or about what skills he brings to the table. What incentive does anyone have to put in an "application" to work with him on his "new MUD project"?

Edit: I fixed my post.
16 Apr, 2010, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 6th comment:
So, if you have an Admin, Programmers and Builders, what does that make you?
BTW, I'm not trolling here. I just don't get the OP yet. Are you going to be constructing a brand new codebase?
Are you waiting for PMs to reveal your ideas?

I think you will get better feedback if you revise your OP :smile:

EDIT: Ninja'd
16 Apr, 2010, Cratylus wrote in the 7th comment:
sam.j.brown said:

Well, I was thinking that if the dude answered my questions, his recruitment
thread would get sharpened up and people might be more inclined to try
to help him out.

Note also the helpful URL in my post. I was actually being constructive and
trying to shape the dude's vague request into one that had more likelihood
of a positive outcome for him.

What were you up to?

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
16 Apr, 2010, Runter wrote in the 8th comment:
What were you up to?

Trollin'.
16 Apr, 2010, 3squire wrote in the 9th comment:
Where can I sign up?!
17 Apr, 2010, 3squire wrote in the 10th comment:
Seriously, I'm not joking, just I don't know how to apply.
17 Apr, 2010, Dean wrote in the 11th comment:
3squire said:
Seriously, I'm not joking, just I don't know how to apply.

Baiou said:
If you or anyone you know is interested, please pm me here.

- Baiou
18 Apr, 2010, Baiou wrote in the 12th comment:
To clarify and address any concerns:

- I am unwilling to announce particular public details on the project at this moment. However, there is nothing stopping any member from PMing me for further information at which time I will reveal more on a one on one basis. I feel that if you are not willing to send a pm to inquire, you don't need to know exactly what's going on at this time.

- I assure you I'm not a troll. I'm in my last semester of my second college so finding time to stay active daily is a challenge. I usually log on to keep up to date with what is going on in the community. My lack of time is the reason why the staff I hire must be active in the community. I understand the assumption due to my low posts and thread count.

- What I will bring to the team is the knowledge and capability of building, programming, scripting, and running projects. I have been mudding for 10+ years now, but the past 4 years have been hazy due to real life experiences. This project that I speak of has been in talks for the past 2 years and the post wasn't an overnight decision.

- If you would like to inquire more or sign up to participate, send a private message to me here on mudbytes.

Baiou.
18 Apr, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 13th comment:
Surely you understand that people might not be interested in inquiring, because going off of what you said:
- you have little to no time to work on things
- you need staff for basically every position
- based on the above two, it's unclear what exactly you'll be doing even if you have experience; it sounds like it will involve you saying what to do and then having all the staffers do it
- nobody knows what you're trying to do even on a very high level

Now I don't have interest in working on this project, so I'm not going to inquire and am relatively indifferent to whether you add more detail. But just as a suggestion, you should realize that this kind of advertisement might not generate a lot of excitement. There are more projects asking for help than there are competent people asking to work on projects (or even just people in general; it's very rare to see somebody asking to work on somebody else's project these days).
18 Apr, 2010, Cratylus wrote in the 14th comment:
Baiou said:
finding time to stay active daily is a challenge.

David Haley said:
you need staff for basically every position

I strongly urge you, Baiou, to read my fabulously useful letter to folks in your position: http://lpmuds.net/newcomer.html

Your pal,

-Crat
18 Apr, 2010, Runter wrote in the 15th comment:
- I am unwilling to announce particular public details on the project at this moment.

Good luck on project X.
18 Apr, 2010, Lyanic wrote in the 16th comment:
Runter said:
- I am unwilling to announce particular public details on the project at this moment.

Good luck on project X.

Don't you just love how everyone with the next great idea, really believes it's "the next great idea" and everyone else is out to steal it? Seriously, what's up with the secrecy on all these fantabulous new projects?
18 Apr, 2010, flumpy wrote in the 17th comment:
Lyanic said:
Runter said:

Good luck on project X.

Don't you just love how everyone with the next great idea, really believes it's "the next great idea" and everyone else is out to steal it? Seriously, what's up with the secrecy on all these fantabulous new projects?

All these? I don't see that many…
18 Apr, 2010, Koron wrote in the 18th comment:
The great majority of mud proposals I've seen have been secretive. What I find interesting is that the ones who've been open and inviting of feedback have generated the most excitement and the most positive feedback. I guess you could call that a trend? :tongue:
18 Apr, 2010, Omega wrote in the 19th comment:
I have found over the many years I've been in the mudding community, that people who are secretive, often don't want to put their plans to the public for fear of retribution from the mudding community.

Example. Say I want to create a mud where you have to decapitate people to win battles. Because I want it to be like highlander sort-to-speak. Now, the first response to this will most likely be comments about godwars, and how they are a hack/ripoff of it.

People don't want to get flamed for having idea's about their project, nor do they want people to critisize them, when they haven't even begun. Which as I'm reading here, appears to be most of the posts, all of which are aimed at starting flame wars.

I guess what I am trying to say is, if you don't have something positive to say, then you should keep your perverbial mouth shut and leave the guy be. He has his reasons for not posting. Whether it he just wants honest people approaching him about the idea, so he doesn't have to go through a series of flames to justify why he chose a set path of development, or he doesn't have an idea of what he wants but wants feedback from interested parties in building a mud, so that they can build something unique.

The point is, everytime someone posts like this, the community at large seems to go off like this for no apparent reason. Its why we are losing too many people from the community. Its because of the retarded actions of the flamebots that troll these sites. God, its why I left. Oh BTW. Mudding is dead because of this crap.

Thats my two cents.
18 Apr, 2010, Runter wrote in the 20th comment:
I guess what I am trying to say is, if you don't have something positive to say, then you should keep your perverbial mouth shut and leave the guy be. He has his reasons for not posting. Whether it he just wants honest people approaching him about the idea, so he doesn't have to go through a series of flames to justify why he chose a set path of development, or he doesn't have an idea of what he wants but wants feedback from interested parties in building a mud, so that they can build something unique.

It doesn't matter why he is being secretive. He's asking people to donate time to his project. There's a lot of competent people who like to be able to read threads and not only see the ideas on the table, but what others in the community they know to be experienced are saying about the ideas.

You know, it's not running down someones post to say, "Hey, we'd like more info on this project for public discussion."

If he didn't want the thread open for discussion it could have been locked.
0.0/62