31 Mar, 2010, 3squire wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I have been diligently working on a mud engine called Kusht, but in the meantime I have used to framework to develop a demonstration of the new MUD's features that I have chose to call "Tank Mage Deathmatch!!!"

You can play at http://www.tankmagedeathmatch.com – Feedback very very welcome!
31 Mar, 2010, KaVir wrote in the 2nd comment:
Any relation to the winning entry of the 16K MUD competition, which was also called "Tank Mage Deathmatch"?
31 Mar, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 3rd comment:
Notice: Tank Mage Deathmatch Requires Google Chrome

Hrmm… oh well.
31 Mar, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 4th comment:
KaVir, the "how to play" link says this:
Tank Mage Deathmatch
16K Mud Server Competition Entry
Ben White April 2000
http://www.senet.com.au/~benwhite/

Modified to Browser Game
Andrew Tutt April 2010

I think it's kind of misleading to present this here as a game you wrote to demonstrate your framework, 3squire, and saying you "chose" the name etc., if you didn't actually write it but modified it to talk to your Chrome browser thingymabob.
31 Mar, 2010, flumpy wrote in the 5th comment:
not werkin
31 Mar, 2010, Zeno wrote in the 6th comment:
Error 101 (net::ERR_CONNECTION_RESET): Unknown error.
31 Mar, 2010, KaVir wrote in the 7th comment:
David Haley said:
Notice: Tank Mage Deathmatch Requires Google Chrome

Hrmm… oh well.

I've also discussed that with 3squire elsewhere, but he's pretty firmly of the opinion that "A mud in a telnet client simply cannot support the kind of emergent gameplay elements this engine will support, period. It just cannot."

David Haley said:
KaVir, the "how to play" link says this:

Oops, thanks - I don't have Google Crome installed at work, so I didn't think to try clicking the link.
31 Mar, 2010, flumpy wrote in the 8th comment:
werkin now
31 Mar, 2010, Idealiad wrote in the 9th comment:
3squire said:
You can play at http://www.tankmagedeathmatch.com – Feedback very very welcome!

Other than advice not to introduce your next 'adaptation' in the shady way you've introduced this game, as mentioned already, here's my feedback:

* The text output window is way too small
* The border between the input and output windows is too big.
* Also if you don't need fixed-width typefaces for legibility, use bigger serif typefaces. Also the rendering of the font is rather bad in my opinion.
* While I think the visuals and composition of the UI is confusing, I don't think this is a problem with the idea of the web client in general; see Maiden Desmodus' Flash client for a better example of a web client.
* rendering speed was good

So my recommendations would be – bigger text window, bigger text, more thoughtful UI arrangement.
01 Apr, 2010, 3squire wrote in the 10th comment:
Hey there everyone. Thanks for the feedback. I hope you actually had a chance to play for a while before reporting on the UI design, since many UIs can seem counterintuitive until you have had an opportunity to see how they affect gameplay.

Also, I would think that the fact that I (a) tried very hard to get in touch with Bob White about adapting his game (he seems to have disappeared from the community), (b) Credit him extensively, and © find the name "Tank Mage Deathmatch" incredibly fun and funny to all be compelling reasons that my post should be read with a heavy dose of ironic enthusiasm. It's not like I didn't know that KaVir would immediately identify the game name, and I made no effort to hide its origins.

Also, since the code is now entirely in PHP (though it could still serve telnet with two minor tweaks) and is thus platform independent and improved where I saw fit to improve and has intelligent AI bots so you can play single player and a large number of other minor enhancements (including a G UI, ahem) I think Bob White would be pleased and I was hoping people might find it an interesting opportunity to see what a prototype of the future of MUDing will be (when it migrates out of telnet and into the browser… they'll still be basic, just… enhanced… I promise).

I love what you guys are working on. I'm happy to work on client-side for a more established project (seeing how hard it is to develop both simultaneously) but you'd probably have to tack on a function call wherever you do an AI check to send JSON data to the clients.) The point was to show what you could gain from being in the browser. This game is customized to its particular style/type (a Deathmatch!!!) but a regular game would have a more crafted interface.

- 3Squire
01 Apr, 2010, Idealiad wrote in the 11th comment:
OK, two things:

1. Muds have been in the browser since around 2001
2. When you ask for feedback, people give you feedback, and passive-aggressively justifying your decisions is not usually the best response to feedback.

This isn't personal, I appreciate what you're doing and I'd like to see more of it. Ask anyone here and they'll tell you I'm probably one of the least ornery posters here, but this thread is getting somewhat ridiculous.
01 Apr, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 12th comment:
Idealiad said:
Ask anyone here and they'll tell you I'm probably one of the least ornery posters here

Actually, Idealiad is Evil Itself. :devil:

3squire said:
(a) tried very hard to get in touch with Bob White about adapting his game (he seems to have disappeared from the community)

We had no way of knowing that, even after looking over your site.

3squire said:
(b) Credit him extensively

Your post here didn't even mention him, and in fact you said that you "develop[ed] a demonstration" of a game for which you chose the name. It's true that you mention the name in the "how to play" section.

3squire said:
© find the name "Tank Mage Deathmatch" incredibly fun and funny to all be compelling reasons that my post should be read with a heavy dose of ironic enthusiasm.

Sorry, I don't really understand what you're saying.

Remember that people here aren't in your head and we have no way of knowing what you find to be fun or funny or ironic, or who you tried to get in touch with, etc.

I would have liked to check out your work, but it's Chrome-only, so, well, that's about that for now. (Instead of having a "MUD client", you need me to download a different "web client", so AFAICT I still have to go download something I don't have.)
01 Apr, 2010, Asylumius wrote in the 13th comment:
Your project seems cool enough, but as far as I'm concerned, a MUD has always been and will always be a text-only game that can be played on even the oldest hardware with pretty much zero software requirements. It's nice to see someone doing something fresh with PHP and all that jazz, and while your project doesn't necessarily break the literal mold of what the acronym means, it's not something I would consider a MUD. Browsers (especially just one and only one), graphics, sound, and all this other bullshit just doesn't add any value to MUDs in my world.

That said, good luck. Any active and healthy development in the community is a good thing, as far as I'm concerned.
28 Sep, 2011, bw1024 wrote in the 14th comment:
Hi. I'm the guy who created the original Tank Mage Deathmatch. The license in the readme says, "If you use any of it, please give me some credit." Seems like the site is dead anyway.
– Ben
28 Sep, 2011, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 15th comment:
Chrome said:
Oops! Google Chrome could not find www.tankmagedeathmatch.com
Suggestions:
Search on Google:
29 Sep, 2011, bw1024 wrote in the 16th comment:
Yep. According to www.archive.org, the domain redirects to vermax hosting, which seems to be dead now.
29 Sep, 2011, KaVir wrote in the 17th comment:
bw1024 said:
Hi. I'm the guy who created the original Tank Mage Deathmatch. The license in the readme says, "If you use any of it, please give me some credit." Seems like the site is dead anyway.

He did (see post #4), but it looks like the OP moved on to a browser-based game a few months later, and his most recent MudBytes post was made only a couple of weeks after that.

The 16K mud competition was fun, and some of the entries were pretty innovative, so I find it rather sad that so little was done with them afterwards.
29 Sep, 2011, bw1024 wrote in the 18th comment:
KaVir said:
The 16K mud competition was fun, and some of the entries were pretty innovative, so I find it rather sad that so little was done with them afterwards.

I had a few attempts at building a more sophisticated mud/virtual world. Invariably they ended with me getting bogged down with some issue that I wasn't able to resolve.

It looks your entry lives on in God Wars II?
03 Oct, 2011, KaVir wrote in the 19th comment:
bw1024 said:
I had a few attempts at building a more sophisticated mud/virtual world. Invariably they ended with me getting bogged down with some issue that I wasn't able to resolve.

It looks your entry lives on in God Wars II?

Parts of it. God Wars II was started from scratch, and Jobo wanted to write the socket code for it. As he also developed SocketMUD at around the same time, I suspect he reused the same code for both. But once the basics were in place, I copied over large chunks of Gladiator Pits II.
0.0/19