08 Mar, 2010, Blinx wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hi.

I would like to use SmaugFuss as a server-base for my graphical MUD (Mushclient being the client required to play that game).

With my main PC being in repair, I'm wondering: Will SmaugFuss work under Darwin/MacOSX, as well (my DIY server is Darwin, while my laptop is a 1st gen Intel Macbook)?

I've never really used Darwin too much, but I heard it's faster compared to most/all Linux Kernels.
08 Mar, 2010, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 2nd comment:
Blinx, you might want to check the Makefile(s) or doc(s) to see if it is portable.
IIRC, smaugmuds.org has details bout the Fuss project.

I must have missed something, but didn't we used to have SmaugFUSS in the repo?
Wasn't Samson in charge of that?
08 Mar, 2010, tphegley wrote in the 3rd comment:
JohnnyStarr said:
I must have missed something, but didn't we used to have SmaugFUSS in the repo?
Wasn't Samson in charge of that?

That's a place you don't want to go right now. heh.

To the above poster, I think it should compile under most compilers, but then again, who knows. Try and find out?
08 Mar, 2010, Blinx wrote in the 4th comment:
Yea.

I'll try. As soon as I find a way to unpack the files. :redface:

Stupid MacOSX won't unpack those .tgz files.

Unable to unarchive "smaugfuss 1.9.tgz" into "SmaugFuss". (Error 2 - No such file or directory)

Tried multiple versions of SmaugFuss and they're all around 1,5 to 1,6 M, so I doubt it's the files. Probably something with my data system or the way MacOSX handles .tgz files/checks for folders.

EDIT: Never mind. Changed the file extension to .tar. Works.
08 Mar, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 5th comment:
It does or at least can. At one point I made the changes to get it compiling under the OS X version of gcc/g++ (I had a Mac laptop temporarily) but I don't remember if I submitted those changes (I think somebody else did, so I didn't bother?) or if they got into the core. In any case, the changes weren't very complicated.

Anyhow, you should probably check at smaugmuds.org.
08 Mar, 2010, Blinx wrote in the 6th comment:
Ok. So I unpacked all the data, downloaded the latest gcc/g++ and am now fiddling a bit.

Compiling on MacOSX is fairly new to me, though. Don't even know if I can do it without having appropriate admin rights to the Macbook (machine is a replacement, since my Macbook broke on the same day and for pretty much the same reason my PC broke).

EDIT: You're right, David. The modification to it is minor. Basically a handful of lines. Doesn't take more than 5 minutes. Now if I could only get that compiler to work without installing it :grinning:
0.0/6