25 May, 2007, Metsuro wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Now everytime I see mention of DBSC everyone around here says "dont use it" for some odd reason, someone find filling me in? I actually started from a DBSC then got my hands on WOTC which… I'm still trying to clean up… orginally the warnings took like 10 minutes to spam by…
25 May, 2007, Anavel wrote in the 2nd comment:
DBSC is derived from Smaug 1.4a, which has memory leaks and bugs. Why are you using WOTC? WOTC is a worse choice than DBSC based on what you posted.
25 May, 2007, Guest wrote in the 3rd comment:
I think it has more to do with the reputation behind most DBZ type admins. I really don't think it has much to do with your specific choice in codebases.
26 May, 2007, kikyo wrote in the 4th comment:
I take offense to that >_>

But yeah dbsc has alot of bugs to it
26 May, 2007, Guest wrote in the 5th comment:
Heh, well, you can take offense all you like. Truth is truth :)

If you go look around in various places at threads started or participated in by DBZ admins, you'll see what I mean. That doesn't mean *ALL* of them are that way, but clearly most of them are.

I suppose with regard to the specific DBSC codebase, it is full of bugs but it's not just because it's a Smaug derivative. It's because the people who got ahold of it afterward were clueless and wrote up even buggier code.
26 May, 2007, Metsuro wrote in the 6th comment:
Well Wotc was far different from standard DBSC so I've been taking time to try and clean it up and remove all the backdoors that the coder put in for it, but alot of it is horrible. But doesn't mean it isn't fun to play if only they weren't monkies when they built androids, cause they used ITEM_WEAR in alot of places to look and see if you were wearing something like the sentient chip.
26 May, 2007, KaVir wrote in the 7th comment:
Samson said:
I think it has more to do with the reputation behind most DBZ type admins.

For which I'm thankful, as before the DBZ muds it was the GodWars muds that used to get all the heat ;)
27 May, 2007, Brinson wrote in the 8th comment:
Yeah, I remember making hidden jabs at godwars…and I think it DID stop when I visited a couple DBZ muds…

;)
22 Dec, 2008, Icecold211 wrote in the 9th comment:
DBS does have memory leaks, but WOTC (depending on the version) Is even worse, all WOTC is, is a cleaned up version of DBS and modified. now this is coming form someone who use to be a owner of WOTC, please do not use that codebase cause it is THE WORSE!!!, just clean up a DBS or go with another codebase (heaven forbid we got enough DBS's out there) but that should answer your question…
22 Dec, 2008, Lyanic wrote in the 10th comment:
KaVir said:
Samson said:
I think it has more to do with the reputation behind most DBZ type admins.

For which I'm thankful, as before the DBZ muds it was the GodWars muds that used to get all the heat ;)

Unfortunately, the heat hasn't gone away completely. There's still a certain stigma associated with Godwars MUDs - particularly if you're trying to attract the type of players who appreciate character building, story and exploration. :(
23 Dec, 2008, Hades_Kane wrote in the 11th comment:
I've heard a lot of people not recommend DBSC based on the merits of the codebase itself.

Now, I don't personally know anything about that codebase or the WOTC or whatever, but there are pretty stable codebases out there that one could choose from. If you like Smaug, there is an active Smaug project going on right now I believe, and that probably wouldn't be a bad place to start because of the active community surrounding the codebase. Not to mention, if you are starting a DBZ MUD and actually use a codebase that is different from the bulk of other DBZ codebases, you stand a better chance at having a more unique game and standing out from the herd.

Surely some DBZ MUD fans might be looking for exactly what they are used to, but surely many others have to get tired of seeing "yet another _____" and might be looking for something that stands away from the pack.

It's something to consider, at least, if you aren't very far in development and have the ability to modify another codebase to suit your needs. Speaking from experience, sometimes you spend a lot more time changing systems and ripping out systems you don't need, when you could have probably saved a lot of time and headache by just implementing from a bit more bare and stable codebase.
0.0/11