06 Feb, 2010, jenni wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
as a noob to the whole coding thing, and to the more advanced aspects of MUD administration (such as assigning vnums and such, though i've figured much of that out), i am absolutely clueless as to how to add additional vnums or to start a new area from scratch. i've been playing with both smaugFUSS and SWRFUSS, and both seem to have around 33000 vnums in use (based on the existing zones). i assigned myself 50,000 thru 75,000, but i can only goto 50000 and 75000; if i try to goto anywhere else, it says it's not a valid vnum. in the past when i've been assigned a range of vnums, i can goto any of them and they will manifest that way.

what i'd like to accomplish is the complete removal of the existing areas in SWR so i can start from scratch, but the little information i've found about how to do that has been a bit dated and inconsistent as far as the suggested procedures. as i really don't want to break anything, i tried to find a means of increasing the number of vnums so i could just ignore the existing areas and start in a new one. i found some information about increasing the vnum range to 2 billion, but i ran into the same problem with the information being about 8 years old and the suggested procedures varying.

can anyone advise as to how i might go about this? cheers!
06 Feb, 2010, Kayle wrote in the 2nd comment:
SmaugFUSS already has the 2 billion vnums patch applied.
SWRFUSS might, I can't recall. I believe it does though.

As for the invalid vnum bit, I'll have to look into that. It sounds like that could be a bug that needs fixed.
06 Feb, 2010, jurdendurden wrote in the 3rd comment:
jenni said:
i assigned myself 50,000 thru 75,000, but i can only goto 50000 and 75000; if i try to goto anywhere else, it says it's not a valid vnum. in the past when i've been assigned a range of vnums, i can goto any of them and they will manifest that way.

I know that in ROM even though you assign vnums you still need to create the rooms to be able to goto them. It sounds like in smaug it creates the first and last room in the vnum list automagically, which would explain why you were able to go to those two rooms and nothing else. The syntax may be different to create a new room, but in ROM to do so you type redit create #####. Of course you could check out the code and have it populate ALL the vnums in the area upon area creation based on what it most likely has to create the first and last room in the list.
06 Feb, 2010, jenni wrote in the 4th comment:
Kayle said:
SmaugFUSS already has the 2 billion vnums patch applied.
SWRFUSS might, I can't recall. I believe it does though.

As for the invalid vnum bit, I'll have to look into that. It sounds like that could be a bug that needs fixed.

i thought that might be the case, which is why i'm so puzzled as to why it is that i can't seem to create more vnums. could someone maybe explain in brief the steps to assigning vnums/aassigning/etc? i haven't done any building in a number of months, but i seem to recall that with smaug, once the range is created you should be able to simply 'goto' any of the vnums within that range. i'm not able to do so, which is why i'm stumped.

i also don't see myself listed as having that range under the 'areas' or 'zones' command, so i'm wondering if there's a command that ties the proccess of aassigning and giving myself a range of vnums together that i've overlooked. thanks again guys.
06 Feb, 2010, jurdendurden wrote in the 5th comment:
Once you have assigned the range of vnums to the game itself, you then need to modify the area itself by typing aedit #. Once in there you type builder jenni, or whatever your mud name is. After that, try typing redit create 50001, redit create 50002, and goto them. That's rom syntax but Smaug and ROM have similarities so it must be close. Also check out your OLC helpfile if this doesn't work.
06 Feb, 2010, Kayle wrote in the 6th comment:
Which base are you talking about jenni? SmaugFUSS or SWRFUSS?

Also, can you give me the exact output you're getting from the MUD?
06 Feb, 2010, jenni wrote in the 7th comment:
well, if the procedures are at least somewhat similar, then both, as i'm undecided between the two at the moment. i'm tinkering more with SWR at the moment though.
06 Feb, 2010, Kayle wrote in the 8th comment:
Procedures will be similar.

But it makes a large difference because of the difference in underlying code.
06 Feb, 2010, jenni wrote in the 9th comment:
how about SWR? also, would you happen to know whether there even exists a relatively current and functional guide to removing the default areas from either base?
06 Feb, 2010, Kayle wrote in the 10th comment:
After testing. I believe I've found the problem with SWR. I haven't tested with SmaugFUSS yet, but there will be an official BugFix as soon as I work out how to effectively fix the issue.
06 Feb, 2010, jenni wrote in the 11th comment:
does it sound like i've done everything correctly then? should i be able to goto any vnum within my assigned range to create the room?
06 Feb, 2010, Kayle wrote in the 12th comment:
BugFix is posted here.
0.0/12