05 Feb, 2010, shasarak wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Kayle said:
There's a lot about writing a codebase from scratch that is boring as hell, and I can't stand doing. Planning how things work for one. I'd rather just write code. But there's got to be some kind of method to it so that it doesn't end up like any of the other bases in the repository here. So yes, I hate planning out how I'm going to code, and I'd rather just code.

That seems to me like a very good reason to approve of Graham's position. You want to code without having to figure out how things should work. He wants to figure out how things should work but feels that he can't handle the coding. Basically, you are exactly the sort of person he is advertising for, and he is exactly the sort of person you should be working for: the two of you would complement each other perfectly. It seems a little harsh to criticise him for offering people the opportunity to do exactly what you say you like doing while he looks after all the stuff you hate….
05 Feb, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 2nd comment:
shasarak said:
Kayle said:
There's a lot about writing a codebase from scratch that is boring as hell, and I can't stand doing. Planning how things work for one. I'd rather just write code. But there's got to be some kind of method to it so that it doesn't end up like any of the other bases in the repository here. So yes, I hate planning out how I'm going to code, and I'd rather just code.

That seems to me like a very good reason to approve of Graham's position. You want to code without having to figure out how things should work. He wants to figure out how things should work but feels that he can't handle the coding. Basically, you are exactly the sort of person he is advertising for, and he is exactly the sort of person you should be working for: the two of you would complement each other perfectly. It seems a little harsh to criticise him for offering people the opportunity to do exactly what you say you like doing while he looks after all the stuff you hate….

I think you might have missed or misinterpreted the last sentence in Kayle's post. Kayle is talking about the code design phase. It seems pretty clear from the rest of Kayle's post that he is advocating that you need to show something for yourself even if it involves doing something you don't like or aren't good at.
05 Feb, 2010, elanthis wrote in the 3rd comment:
I can't help but feel that this thread is mostly pointless. threads like this have existed before. the people posting ineffective ads almost always are people who have not posted frequently before, who won't be looking at this thread before hand (especially weeks from now when it's old and stale), and who probably wouldn't read it even if it was stickied at the top of the promotions sub-board. you see the same thing on art forums a lot where people are constantly posting threads "hai can u plz help make artz 4 mai game lol?" and the artists all respond with a "duz it work yet lolrus?" and the game guy comes back with "hah no i need art 2 make it work" and the artists finally go "ur dum we wont waste time on a game we cant even see r art in wen we make it!! gtfo!" (I may have paraphrased a little.)
05 Feb, 2010, Davion wrote in the 4th comment:
elanthis said:
I can't help but feel that this thread is mostly pointless. threads like this have existed before. the people posting ineffective ads almost always are people who have not posted frequently before, who won't be looking at this thread before hand (especially weeks from now when it's old and stale), and who probably wouldn't read it even if it was stickied at the top of the promotions sub-board. you see the same thing on art forums a lot where people are constantly posting threads "hai can u plz help make artz 4 mai game lol?" and the artists all respond with a "duz it work yet lolrus?" and the game guy comes back with "hah no i need art 2 make it work" and the artists finally go "ur dum we wont waste time on a game we cant even see r art in wen we make it!! gtfo!" (I may have paraphrased a little.)

We could probably link it above the post form. Make it in big bright shiny multi-coloured letters or something so they read it.
05 Feb, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 5th comment:
I think you're a little bit too optimistic about whether or not people actually read these posts. And then you've got people who read them but think that they're special, and so ignore the post.

I don't really get what the big deal is with letting people comment on promotional threads. It's not like it's paid advertising with some kind of "right" to only put out your message. It's a forum. People post. People respond. That's kind of the point. Losing that dialog would be very unhealthy to the stated purpose of the forum.
05 Feb, 2010, Davion wrote in the 6th comment:
David Haley said:
I think you're a little bit too optimistic about whether or not people actually read these posts. And then you've got people who read them but think that they're special, and so ignore the post.

I don't really get what the big deal is with letting people comment on promotional threads. It's not like it's paid advertising with some kind of "right" to only put out your message. It's a forum. People post. People respond. That's kind of the point. Losing that dialog would be very unhealthy to the stated purpose of the forum.

Arguably, the only way to get decent advertising in this place is -with- active discussion within your thread. This is a good example of a good advertisement with positive feedback.

[link=post]41453[link]
05 Feb, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 7th comment:
Davion said:
Arguably, the only way to get decent advertising in this place is -with- active discussion within your thread.

Well then, I guess I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the issues described in this thread… it sounds like Kiasyn wants to make it "OP only" whereas you want active discussion.
05 Feb, 2010, KaVir wrote in the 8th comment:
Davion said:
Arguably, the only way to get decent advertising in this place is -with- active discussion within your thread.

I think that's true of all mud forums to be honest - if people turn your advert into a discussion, you'll get a lot more attention for your game.
05 Feb, 2010, Davion wrote in the 9th comment:
David Haley said:
Davion said:

Well then, I guess I'm curious to hear your thoughts on the issues described in this thread… it sounds like Kiasyn wants to make it "OP only" whereas you want active discussion.

Graham clearly doesn't want to advertise in this place as effectively as possible.
05 Feb, 2010, Tyche wrote in the 10th comment:
Who the hell is Graham? Nobody named Graham has ever posted on this board.
05 Feb, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 11th comment:
Davion said:
Graham clearly doesn't want to advertise in this place as effectively as possible.

That's a rather separate question, though, from why the site admins are creating/changing policy to suit his lack of desire to advertise as effectively as possible. I wasn't asking about Graham's particular case, but about what this new policy is all about. You and Kiasyn obviously disagree on the role of promotional threads, for example.

Tyche said:

_graham
But of course, it is true that he has never posted, anymore…
05 Feb, 2010, Cratylus wrote in the 12th comment:
Tyche said:

Well there's a pdf on http://rule14.net/forum of the archived thread he started that was then deleted.

You can see there for yourself the horrible terrible no good thread that just
had to be removed from mudbytes.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
06 Feb, 2010, elanthis wrote in the 13th comment:
Huh, I guess it's even my fault it got removed, since I'm the one who had the constructive criticism first. I guess next time I'll just snicker in private instead of trying to help someone out. :/
06 Feb, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 14th comment:
Ya seriously, what's wrong with you, trying to be helpful and all. In fact, you were trying to be helpful several times; redundant helpfulness is a Very Bad Thing!
06 Feb, 2010, Kayle wrote in the 15th comment:
I think elanthis might have succeeded at something Crat hasn't. I don't think Crat's ever gotten a post completely removed before. :P
06 Feb, 2010, Cratylus wrote in the 16th comment:
Kayle said:
I think elanthis might have succeeded at something Crat hasn't. I don't think Crat's ever gotten a post completely removed before. :P

And I think it ought be restored. I just don't see what constructive purpose is being served
by keeping it deleted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_e...

-Crat
0.0/16