04 Feb, 2010, jurdendurden wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
This is an ambitious medieval style ROM based mud with several features to set it above the rest, including but not limited to:

- Classes: fighter, cleric, thief, wizard, druid, ranger, paladin, bard, monk.
- Races: human, half elf, elf, half orc, gnome, halfling, dwarf
- multi classing (true d&d style)
- ships (player owned and operated)
- a living economy (affected by almost everything, from resources available to money on hand, and more!)
- extended immortal functions (for running in game quests and such)
- weapon specialization for fighters.
- elemental specialization for wizards.
- mages learn spells from scrolls, and can scribe them to teach other mages.
- traps, trap detection, etc…
- many expansions for OLC to give new areas more flavor. (oprogs, new sectors, new flags (for objs/rooms, new npc races, and MUCH more.).
- complete removal of stock areas. We're in the process of rebuilding our world from scratch (With the main city complete now!)
- a random item system (set to an act_flag), allows mobs to have your traditional 'stock' items as well as random loot.
- stronger mobs drop stronger random loot. Bosses set up to have loot tables.
- resource gathering: foraging, mining, prospecting, etc..
- skill trees based on skill prerequisites and stat requirements have been added to give flavor to each class.
- over 70 spells and 30 skills have been added already.
- fully integrated material table which every item on the mud is based off of. Each material has it's own properties.
- guildranks imposed which govern how well you are treated in your guild, and what the guild trainer will teach you.
- a quest system completely written from scratch, with linear guild and miscellaneous quests.
- classes have restrictions of amounts of heavy armor they can wear.
- bleeding and critical hits.
- and many many other features not unlike Ad&D 2nd ed.

Features planned in the future:

- caravans which take goods from one city to another, which can at times be ambushed.
- new combat system, initiative based, involving weapon speeds, etc…
- 'instanced' dragons, with smart AI who can devastate towns and then run to hide in their lair.
- crafting, such as farming, cooking, alchemy, etc… these will be another staple of the mudwide economy.
- kingdoms run by players. citizenship.
- and much much more.

This will be a roleplaying player kill (RPK) mud, with a main storyline, side quests, etc… The storyline will progress, areas will be changed around, and characters will be affected based on the outcomes of world wide questing.

Right now I'm taking applications from professional builders with good american english grammar/spelling, creativity, motivation, and a working grasp of ROM OLC building.
I'm also looking for a couple of playtesters to go over all the new additions and scour for bugs.

This project has been going strong for almost 6 months now, and there has been quite a bit of progress. Come check us out and decide if you want to help us get this thing off the ground faster and out into the public!

Drop by frostmud.com port 8176 or just email me at drew.haley@gmail.com. I'm on at every opportunity I can get (basically when I'm not at work), so I should be prompt in responding to you.
05 Feb, 2010, Skol wrote in the 2nd comment:
Nice stuff Drew, sounds like a great place!
On the random eq, did you go with a table of pre-created, or more of a dynamically created eq? I only ask because I'm doing more of the latter in a few place and having a total blast with it (value based off material/workmanship/size etc).

Best of luck with it man, if you haven't already; post on Mudconnetor and Top mud sites, and don't forget to list the game on Mudgamers ;).
05 Feb, 2010, jurdendurden wrote in the 3rd comment:
Thank you Skol, I have already posted on those sites :)

As for your question regarding the random loot, it's definately more dynamic than not. I started with Kline's random item generator that I found on mudbytes here. Once I had installed that I began modification, including:

- changing his weapon creation from just exotics to any weapon type.
- including materials from my material table (which have different properties)
- assigning a 'bulk' to each piece of armor based on it's material / wear location.
- tripling the lists for descriptive words involved for each type of item, as well as the lists for each stat.
- seperated 'cloth' names from 'metal' names: ie you won't get a hat of iron, or a helm of silk.
- added 'pre-prefixes', ie: superb, magical, excellent, masterwork, etc…
- made an intelligent system to start each short desc off with 'a', 'the', 'an', where it would be appropriate.
- based the weight of each item from the material it's made from and the wear location (breastplates weigh more than bracers)

There's I'm sure some other stuff that I modified and forgot about but those are the main things.
I also made each mob 'wear' the item upon creation instead of just holding it in it's inventory. (Seems more realistic to
have a mob wearing the item you looted from it).

What have you done with yours? Can we trade ideas? ;)
05 Feb, 2010, Skol wrote in the 4th comment:
Cool stuff! You think like me hehe.
It's funny, but I find that players (and myself) simply like 'cool' things, regardless of stats etc. So it's neat to find a magnificent curved dagger of slaying or something that seems 'unique'. Great call on the mob wearing them!

Mine so far has been more 'treasure' oriented, with figurines of all kinds (any race, god (21 gods), fish (100+ fish species), material (60+ materials) and size). Mainly they're just treasure, but there is a plan to have the god ones able to be blessed to become a holy symbol for your character if the worship that same god. The race ones then are planned to give a small bonus vs that race, assuming you have it in inventory (which leads to PVP stealing of popular ones etc). Then the fish ones can aid in catching that specific fish species. All of those can have inlaid eyes, which adds to the value greatly (but is rare).

I did a random dice generator as well, so some mobs have unique dice on them (my dice code stores the number rolled on top, changes on drop/get/roll etc). So you might find an azurite die, examining it reveals it has 8 sides and the number 3 is on top currently etc (that changes if you drop/roll etc). The gem material dice can be sold at jewelers, the rest at general stores.

I've done a random food generator and drink container one as well, similar thoughts. On the food I so far have only done poultry, and there are easily hundreds of variations. braised, roasted, stewed, etc etc, then like 15 bird species, legs, wings, breast, drumsticks, entire bird, a few more. Just adds some fun to finding food on mobs (for me anyway heh). I plan on doing fish (from the 100+ species) as well as the other food type races (deer, elk, sheep etc). It's just kind of cool finding a roasted ostrich leg, or a broiled pheasant. I have fun with strings ;). Again value, food worth etc is based off species, size, and which body part. On that, I'll be adding all of the fish, fillets, steaks, entire fish, all kinds of methods of cooking. I'll also be stocking food shops with the generated food, just to add some spice.

Cool ideas, love the thought processes man!
05 Feb, 2010, jurdendurden wrote in the 5th comment:
Yes along those lines I definately plan to have more variety (not just dropped weapons and armor), but food and drink as well. Your dice code sounds cool as well. Not gonna lie I've gotten more than a few ideas from Ansalon ;) (Think items that can be used as wands even though they're not themselves wands). Your mud has some GREAT ideas within which like you have already said are close to my line of thinking. No fish yet as I don't have my fishing system complete, but as I have perused your changelogs on the website quite a bit I can tell you have a very cool fishing system which is much more in depth than any I've yet seen on a mud. I also like your dice ideas (showing the current roll, etc)…
05 Feb, 2010, Skol wrote in the 6th comment:
Sweet, thanks man!
That reminds me, I need to post my change logs for 2009 hehe.
Yeah, fishing I kind of went nuts on, I haven't seen a system like it in any game other than actual fishing games. One of those 'for me' coding moments hehe.
I'd love to toss ideas back and forth, approaches etc, just toss an idea/question out :).
Ps on fishing, I have a page on the website that has an older version of the fish table, might give you ideas for min/max weight/length etc (I did cost per pound as well as a few more also). I do find it fun to know what others did when I approach a solution as well ;).
0.0/6