02 Feb, 2010, Igabod wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
ok, I haven't really investigated this much yet because I'm running out of time here today, but I figured I'd post this link and see if anybody knows anything about this. It's a link to a mud client that turns an already existing mud into a graphical mud. Or at least that's what it sounds like from the description. I am looking for some input as to whether this is a good program or not and any other opinions I can get. I plan on downloading this tonight when I get back to work, but till then I figured I'd post the link and give everybody a chance to review it themselves.

Anyway, here it is. http://wareseeker.com/Games/3d-mud-clien...

[edit to add] By the way, this is a 42 meg file so don't expect super fast downloading.
02 Feb, 2010, Kjwah wrote in the 2nd comment:
Downloading it but not sure how well it will run with Wine. Especially since I have to do some trickery to get Wine to function properly when using TwinView.

However, I'm not quite sure this is something I was looking forward to. A MUD just isn't a MUD once you throw some 3d into the mix.

I have mixed feelings about it now and will just forget I downloaded this tainted file.

Am I the only one that thinks it's wrong to make a 3D client for a text based game? Kind of takes away from what we originally loved in the first place.
02 Feb, 2010, Orrin wrote in the 3rd comment:
I haven't downloaded it but it looks like the same company produced a graphical client for Shattered Worlds mu... so maybe that's what it is.
02 Feb, 2010, KaVir wrote in the 4th comment:
"mud client turns muds into graphical games??"

It's the client that handles the graphics, so yes - you could have a graphical Diku, or a text-based WoW, depending on the client.

Having said that, the client is also limit by the information it can get from the server, and most muds aren't designed with fully graphical clients in mind. So I'm not sure how effective the client would be if you were connecting to any old random mud…
02 Feb, 2010, quixadhal wrote in the 5th comment:
LOL, I should see how horrible that looks on WileyMUD, which has no ansi mapping support and lots of (intentional and otherwise) non-euclidean areas.
02 Feb, 2010, Kjwah wrote in the 6th comment:
quixadhal said:
LOL, I should see how horrible that looks on WileyMUD, which has no ansi mapping support and lots of (intentional and otherwise) non-euclidean areas.

The screenshots look better then what I saw on the Shattered Worlds website that was mentioned earlier. However, I think text looks better but I can't knock what the guy is doing.

It's actually rather cool from the "look at what I did" standpoint.
03 Feb, 2010, tphegley wrote in the 7th comment:
I believe I've messed with this before. Never really got it to work correctly.
0.0/7