17 Jan, 2010, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Ok, I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I was wondering if any mudbytes folks were
either A: playing the beta, or B: planning on playing the game?

So far, despite it being a bit "clunky" it's quite impressive. the HUD and visual effects are great.
If anyone out there is looking for something new, I would give it whirl or post what you do, or don't like about it.
17 Jan, 2010, Zeno wrote in the 2nd comment:
Playing it now, it seems to be mostly instanced though sadly. I wouldn't have a problem with it if it was like Guild Wars and had no monthly fee, but when all the mission areas are instanced it seems kind of silly to pay for that.

I may still continue playing in beta though.
17 Jan, 2010, quixadhal wrote in the 3rd comment:
Downloaded the beta client, will probably get around to installing it today.

I don't hold out high hopes for this one. The combination of monthly fee + large-scale instancing + item mall + playable-borg-race ONLY to those who get a lifetime subscription, which you can ONLY do prior to launch…. that smells a bit ripe.

I'll be happy to be proven wrong though. :)
17 Jan, 2010, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 4th comment:
I fully agree.
The point of an MMO is player interaction, otherwise I would just buy Mass Effect 2 and play it all day.
I hope that they make it more interactive, because right now, it feels like a clunk Guild Wars with a monthly payment.
17 Jan, 2010, Kline wrote in the 5th comment:
I'm too deeply ingrained in the WoW beast to think of moving. That and I'm not really much of a Star Trek guy.
17 Jan, 2010, ATT_Turan wrote in the 6th comment:
I'm quite enjoying the beta myself. I don't fully understand the complaints about instancing since the default setting in your game options does not force you to create your own instances for systems you warp into - every part of a sector patrol mission that I've run has had me teaming up with other individuals. This doesn't appear to be the case with the Episode missions, but if you want to play those with other people you can either bring friends or use the looking for group tools like you do in every other MMORPG.
18 Jan, 2010, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 7th comment:
If any of you want to join forces I will be on as character "Olanica Fray".
I haven't looked into whether or not there are multiple servers or not.
18 Jan, 2010, Scandum wrote in the 8th comment:
Is it hard science-fiction, or the usual pulp?
18 Jan, 2010, ATT_Turan wrote in the 9th comment:
@JohnnyStar - there are not multiple servers, it's a single sharded server, Eve-style.

@Scandum - it's Star Trek.
0.0/9