11 Jan, 2010, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Ok, I've had such a hard time installing go in ubuntu.
I've followed everything from the site and i get this:

/home/johnny/go/src/make.bash: line 51: /home/johnny/../../bin/quietgcc: Permission denied
make: *** [build] Error 1
johnny@ubuntu:~/go/src$

I've tried chmod and everything else, but I just cant get it to work.
Has anyone else installed it recently?
11 Jan, 2010, quixadhal wrote in the 2nd comment:
Look at the path.

/home/johnny/.. is the same as /home
/home/johnny/../../bin/quietgcc is the same as /bin/quietgcc

You probably don't have permission to be installing things in /bin. Get rid of the ..'s.
11 Jan, 2010, Davion wrote in the 3rd comment:
Or use sudo!
11 Jan, 2010, elanthis wrote in the 4th comment:
Using sudo to install weird-ass crap that does not in any way shape or form belong in /bin is one of the reasons people don't like sudo or the distros that enable it by default. Nothing related to gcc or any weird-ass add-on language belongs in /bin. Anything installed separate from the package manager belongs in /usr/local, preferably /usr/local/appname (e.g. /usr/local/go) to make removal easy, or it belongs in ~/.local which is the new-ish de facto standard location for installing apps in one's home dir.

I am imaging the OP simply failed to follow the instructions in the Go manual, possibly the ones regarding setting and exporting various environment variables.
12 Jan, 2010, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 5th comment:
@elanthis:

Actually I did follow it step by step. I updated etc/profile and .bashrc
still having the same issue :(

I'm new to linux, but I'm very careful with instructions.
12 Jan, 2010, Confuto wrote in the 6th comment:
I ran into the same issue, resolved it, and then ran into others :biggrin:

mkdir ~/bin, then add it to your path in .bashrc. Mine looks like this:
# go stuff
export GOROOT=$HOME/go
export GOOS=linux
export GOARCH=386
export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin

Then when I try to make all it does a whole bunch of stuff and then:
%%%% making lib9 %%%%

make[1]: execvp: pwd: Too many levels of symbolic links
make[1]: Entering directory `/home/confuto/go/src/lib9'
/home/confuto/bin/quietgcc -ggdb -I"/home/confuto/go"/include -O2 -fno-inline -c ""/_p9dir.c
/home/confuto/bin/quietgcc -ggdb -I"/home/confuto/go"/include -O2 -fno-inline -c ""/_exits.c
gcc: /_p9dir.c: No such file or directory
gcc: no input files
/home/confuto/bin/quietgcc -ggdb -I"/home/confuto/go"/include -O2 -fno-inline -c ""/argv0.c
make[1]: *** [_p9dir.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs….
gcc: /_exits.c: No such file or directory
gcc: /argv0.c: No such file or directory
make[1]: *** [_exits.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [argv0.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/confuto/go/src/lib9'
make: *** [build] Error 1

Joy! I'm getting that symbolic link line all through the compilation process - no idea about those missing files.

EDIT: Interestingly enough, the missing files are different each time. I guess that implies that they're not actually missing, something is screwing with the compile process.
12 Jan, 2010, Koron wrote in the 7th comment:
Davion said:
Or use sudo!

Make me a sandwich.
12 Jan, 2010, elanthis wrote in the 8th comment:
Actually I did follow it step by step. I updated etc/profile and .bashrc
still having the same issue :(

Sounds like the Go build process just sucks. Looking over the docs, it looks like the whole Go environment sucks. There's no reason besides gross incompetence for the build to require more than a ./configure && make install and there's no reason for the compiler and tool-chain to need environment variables to find themselves after they've been installed. You can file a request in their issue tracker asking for the installation to be cleaned up and sanitized, and quote me verbatim on that one if you want to.

As to my only guess at the problem both of you are having, if you tried this build in a single session, note that editing your .bashrc or /etc/profile will have no effect at all until you log out and back in (or close and reopen your terminal window if you're doing this on a Linux desktop).

Koron said:
Davion said:
Or use sudo!

Make me a sandwich.

I actually lol'd. (I never do that at forum jokes.) I'm actually wearing that shirt right now. :)
12 Jan, 2010, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 9th comment:
elanthis said:
As to my only guess at the problem both of you are having, if you tried this build in a single session, note that editing your .bashrc or /etc/profile will have no effect at all until you log out and back in (or close and reopen your terminal window if you're doing this on a Linux desktop).

Tried that too. You can also type source /etc/profile which reloads it without having to close your terminal. I agree that this whole thing seems
hackish and lame.
12 Jan, 2010, Confuto wrote in the 10th comment:
JohnnyStarr said:
elanthis said:

Tried that too. You can also type source /etc/profile which reloads it without having to close your terminal. I agree that this whole thing seems
hackish and lame.

Does the /home/johnny/bin directory exist, and is it in your $PATH variable? I was getting the exact same error message as you (Permission denied) and resolved it by manually creating the directory and adding it to my path, as stated above.
12 Jan, 2010, Kjwah wrote in the 11th comment:
Language looks… Interesting..

Installation looks… Not sure. I think I'll wait until it's more like

./configure –prefix=/usr/local && make install
0.0/11