18 Dec, 2009, Chris Bailey wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Lately I have been required to use the Windows operating system and I have found
it's terminal application to be crap. Anyhow, after searching for an alternative I came
across this little gem. It's called Console and is currently in beta although I haven't
come across any issues. If you are sick of trying to toy around with cmd.exe, or if
you just want something with more power, give it a try.
18 Dec, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 2nd comment:
Sometimes I would use the Cygwin command tool to do Windowsy things, because I preferred the keyboard shortcut interface that the shell handled. Kind of twisted, but it worked. This 'Console' application looks like it might be a better way, though. :wink:
18 Dec, 2009, Chris Bailey wrote in the 3rd comment:
I've only been using it for about 2 hours and I'm already in love :P — SCREENSHOT
18 Dec, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 4th comment:
Since it doesn't have a website, I'll use you as the interim manual. :wink:
Does it support the various readline features of being able to easily navigate/modify the current input text? Being able to do things like ctrl-R to search history? etc.
Perhaps another question: what exactly is it about it that makes it better?
18 Dec, 2009, Chris Bailey wrote in the 5th comment:
Seems to support all common readline features but I don't see a way to search history. Hitting the up key goes back through most recent commands of course. Typical tab completion and whatnot. Most of that stuff is the same (No idea what is going to be added though). The reason *I* like it so much better is because of dynamic resizing, TABS, TABS, TABS, and transparency. Along with a plethora of other various configurable aesthetics. I'm looking more into it to see what interesting features it might have. So far it just seems to do everything that cmd.exe does with a few added benefits. More to come :P

EDIT: It also supports a bajillion hotkey configurations and you can select whatever shell you want to use with it. I'm trying to get bash working properly and recognizing all of my familiar stuff. No more typing ls for 10 minutes trying to figure out what I broke. :P
18 Dec, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 6th comment:
cmd.exe can do tab completion as well. IIRC it's not easy to find, but it's possible. Perhaps it depends on the Windows version.
19 Dec, 2009, Idealiad wrote in the 7th comment:
So it can list files in multiple columns? (or can the windows terminal do that too?)
19 Dec, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 8th comment:
Idealiad said:
So it can list files in multiple columns? (or can the windows terminal do that too?)

Yes, that's a factor of the tool you use to list files, not the terminal itself. There are "ports" of the 'ls' tool for Windows that have the behavior you want.
19 Dec, 2009, Exodus wrote in the 9th comment:
I favor the cygwin shell really. Played around with Console for a bit and its far better than cmd.exe or even windows powershell, but let's face it - *nix syntax ftw.
19 Dec, 2009, Hyper_Eye wrote in the 10th comment:
I don't like cygwin. I consider it bloat. When I work in a Windows environment I use Console (the one presented in this thread), UnixUtils (theres your *nix syntax), mingw, and vim for Windows.

From the UnixUtils site:
agrep.exe
ansi2knr.exe
basename.exe
bison.exe
bzip2.exe
bunzip2.exe
bzip2recover.exe
cat.exe
chgrp.exe
dummy
chmod.exe
chown.exe
cksum.exe
cmp.exe
comm.exe
compress.exe
cp.exe
csplit.exe
cut.exe
date.exe
dd.exe
df.exe
diff.exe
diff3.exe
dirname.exe
du.exe
echo.exe
egrep.exe
env.exe
expand.exe
expr.exe
factor.exe
fgrep.exe
find.exe
flex.exe
fmt.exe
fold.exe
gawk.exe
make.exe
grep.exe
gsar.exe
gunzip.exe
gzip.exe
head.exe
id.exe
install.exe
join.exe
less.exe
ln.exe
logname.exe
ls.exe
m4.exe
md5sum.exe
mkdir.exe
mkfifo.exe
mknod.exe
mv.exe
mvdir.exe
nl.exe
od.exe
paste.exe
patch.exe
pathchk.exe
pr.exe
printenv.exe
printf.exe
ptx.exe
recode.exe
rm.exe
rman.exe
rmdir.exe
sdiff.exe
sed.exe
seq.exe
sleep.exe
sort.exe
sh.exe
shar.exe
split.exe
stego.exe
su.exe
sum.exe
sync.exe
tac.exe
tail.exe
tar.exe
tee.exe
test.exe
touch.exe
tr.exe
uname.exe
unexpand.exe
uniq.exe
unrar.exe
unshar.exe
uudecode.exe
uuencode.exe
wc.exe
wget.exe
which.exe
whoami.exe
xargs.exe
yes.exe
zcat.exe
10 Jan, 2010, Kjwah wrote in the 11th comment:
That Console project looks pretty cool.

There's always this option:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/scrip...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Pow...
10 Jan, 2010, Scandum wrote in the 12th comment:
I had a quick look at it. Looks like Console doesn't support keypad application mode, no readline emulation (not sure if it should), can't really get copy-paste to work, can't launch Console with an argument to launch another application inside it, it sends some really odd key combinations when pressing F2 through F5 (\eI had a quick look at it. Looks like Console doesn't support keypad application mode, no readline emulation (not sure if it should), can't really get copy-paste to work, can't launch Console with an argument to launch another application inside it, it sends some really odd key combinations when pressing F2 through F5 (\e[[B), it has the same VT100 bugs as cmd.exe, no 256 color support.

As far as I can tell it's a pimped up cmd.exe, in other words, epic fail.
10 Jan, 2010, Chris Bailey wrote in the 13th comment:
The more I played with it the more I realised it sucked. It is certainly better than cmd.exe, but I still just limit all use of a terminal inside windows, It just makes hate the OS more.
10 Jan, 2010, Kjwah wrote in the 14th comment:
Eh, just throwing it out there. I don't expect much from Windows when it comes to command line interfaces. lol
10 Jan, 2010, quixadhal wrote in the 15th comment:
I'll pimp the idea of just running a linux VM inside of windows. Unless you're working on a cracker-jack box 386 or something, I can't see why you'd invest the amount of effort into getting cygwhine or any other attempts to unixify windows working, when you could just have a full working OS, nicely contained in a box that you can transplant from one physical machine to another at will. Heck, I've even used Xming so I can run X apps in the VM and have their displays end up on my windows desktop.

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but… :)
10 Jan, 2010, Kjwah wrote in the 16th comment:
quixadhal said:
I can't see why you'd invest the amount of effort into getting cygwhine or any other attempts to unixify windows working, when you could just have a full working OS

Sometimes, people are forced to use stuff they don't like. :p

I was forced to use Microsoft Office instead of Open Office just for writing documentation and updating spread sheets for a company that developed servers and the UNIX software and custom file system that ran on them. lol
10 Jan, 2010, Tyche wrote in the 17th comment:
What are you really looking for in a console window?
A better shell language? Better utilities? Better command history? Better tab completion?
Maybe TCC/LE solves some of your issues.
0.0/17