17 Dec, 2009, Dubstack wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
For those of you who don't understand what I talking about is called a over view map mud it looks like this
Where @ is normally a tree/Forest and the ~ normally blue for water or green for Grass and * are purple to tell where you are on said map. If anyone has a code or can tell me where I can find one or even better yet post it up on this blog here I will be more than thankful. Plus tell what codebase you run it on so I can test it myself on my shell.

Thank you.
18 Dec, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 2nd comment:
SMAUGFuss has an overhead map routine.
mapper.c
I don't know of any Circlemud routine that will "bolt" right into your project. So, click here for further instructions.
18 Dec, 2009, Brinson wrote in the 3rd comment:
Dear god your signature image is huge.
18 Dec, 2009, Dubstack wrote in the 4th comment:
Be for you flame us for it this has all ready been done lol
18 Dec, 2009, kiasyn wrote in the 5th comment:
Brinson said:
Dear god your signature image is huge.

fix'd
18 Dec, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 6th comment:
:biggrin: looks good.
18 Dec, 2009, Brinson wrote in the 7th comment:
Dubstack said:
Be for you flame us for it this has all ready been done lol

Haha, that wasn't a flame. Just an exclamation of surprise. It scrolls my netbook screen entirely.
18 Dec, 2009, tphegley wrote in the 8th comment:
afkmud uses overland map code. You can take it out of that and put it into your game.
18 Dec, 2009, kiasyn wrote in the 9th comment:
the overland map code in afkmud is written like crap. I would advise against it.

A better way of doing overland is to have your map, then generate your rooms on-the-fly as needed out of a pool of available rooms.
18 Dec, 2009, Omega wrote in the 10th comment:
On the fly works, I've seen it done, however, when you take into consideration things like monsters, rooms with objects, players travelling, etc, etc, eventually you run out of rooms, unless you generate all the rooms for the area… and in a 3000x3000 map (like on my mud) thats just way too much bloat.

I stick with a standard matrix, for simplicity.

char map[4][3000][3000];

the 4 is for what map it is on, as we hold a respawn map (for random encounters – NOT based on sector cuz thats just yicky) and a destruction map that holds what part of the world is blow'd up… the map itself, and ofcourse, the restore structure. But that is just me :P

Anyways, when it comes down to it, creating a overland/wilderness map system, isn't hard. Its all about understanding your base code, and knowing where to make the changes to integrate the map capabilities without having to, lets say for example, rewrite all your skills because you neglect to change the get_char_room function to be-able to detect the worldmap.

just my two cents… But honestly, tis easy.
18 Dec, 2009, Davion wrote in the 11th comment:
char map[4][3000][3000];

That's a 35mB matrix… Wouldn't a sparse array be wise in this case?
18 Dec, 2009, kiasyn wrote in the 12th comment:
Darien said:
On the fly works, I've seen it done, however, when you take into consideration things like monsters, rooms with objects, players travelling, etc, etc, eventually you run out of rooms, unless you generate all the rooms for the area… and in a 3000x3000 map (like on my mud) thats just way too much bloat.

I stick with a standard matrix, for simplicity.

char map[4][3000][3000];

the 4 is for what map it is on, as we hold a respawn map (for random encounters – NOT based on sector cuz thats just yicky) and a destruction map that holds what part of the world is blow'd up… the map itself, and ofcourse, the restore structure. But that is just me :P

Anyways, when it comes down to it, creating a overland/wilderness map system, isn't hard. Its all about understanding your base code, and knowing where to make the changes to integrate the map capabilities without having to, lets say for example, rewrite all your skills because you neglect to change the get_char_room function to be-able to detect the worldmap.

just my two cents… But honestly, tis easy.

Well I had 2.1 billion vnums available, and unused rooms were cleaned up.
19 Dec, 2009, Dubstack wrote in the 13th comment:
I should have said this earlier I have just got into coding I was hoping you guys would know a code that has it all ready, basic one I can just just throw into a shell and loud up. If there is any codes like that please do tell me. Errors and stuff can be fix just need it to run after that I can work from there.
19 Dec, 2009, Kayle wrote in the 14th comment:
JohnnyStarr said:
SMAUGFuss has an overhead map routine.
mapper.c
I don't know of any Circlemud routine that will "bolt" right into your project. So, click here for further instructions.

SmaugFUSS does not feature an overland map. It features an automapper which shows surrounding rooms. E.g.:
Darkhaven Square
+———–+ You are standing within the expanse of the famous Darkhaven
| : : | Square. A stone statue of something occupies the square's
| | / | center, surrounded by gardens of flowers in full bloom which
| :-: : + | enhance the air of serenity and peace here in the center of the
| \|/ | city. The main roads lead away in the cardinal directions,
| :-:-@-:-: | while to the northeast and northwest are forested paths. The
| | | | spires of a cathedral can be seen rising to the northwest.
| O : |
| | |
| : |
+———–+

(No that is not the stock description, it's a modified one that I was playing with to test embeded tags in descriptions.)

Dubstack said:
I should have said this earlier I have just got into coding I was hoping you guys would know a code that has it all ready, basic one I can just just throw into a shell and loud up. If there is any codes like that please do tell me. Errors and stuff can be fix just need it to run after that I can work from there.

Someone gave you a codebase. AFKMud has an overland system in it out of the box.

The ensuing discussion was over how best to handle an overland system. None of which was directed at you. It's simply the nature of an internet forum for discussion to drift.
19 Dec, 2009, Dubstack wrote in the 15th comment:
I see lol. Damn I feel dumb lol. Anyhow I was just asking if they had one like the old FFT mud code that ones has it but there is something wrong with I just can't understand why it is not working.
19 Dec, 2009, Tonitrus wrote in the 16th comment:
Dubstack said:
I should have said this earlier I have just got into coding I was hoping you guys would know a code that has it all ready, basic one I can just just throw into a shell and loud up.

I saw a codebase once that had both ascii and overland stuff in it stock. I think it was called FEAR. It was Smaug-derived, as I recall. I don't recall exactly why I never used it, but it may be of interest.
20 Dec, 2009, Dubstack wrote in the 17th comment:
Tonitrus said:
Dubstack said:
I should have said this earlier I have just got into coding I was hoping you guys would know a code that has it all ready, basic one I can just just throw into a shell and loud up.
I saw a codebase once that had both ascii and overland stuff in it stock. I think it was called FEAR. It was Smaug-derived, as I recall. I don't recall exactly why I never used it, but it may be of interest.

Its FEAR and the code base is smaug-derived? you think it will be on this forum?
20 Dec, 2009, Tonitrus wrote in the 18th comment:
Dubstack said:
Its FEAR and the code base is smaug-derived? you think it will be on this forum?

My cursory look didn't find it on mudbytes, but a quick google (FEAR MUD codebase) gave me the following:
http://www.rafermand.com/fear

It appears to be the same one I'm referring to and appears to be Smaug-derived.
20 Dec, 2009, Dubstack wrote in the 19th comment:
Thank you very much Tonitrus I owe you one if it all works out.
0.0/19