Votes: 0
Thank you for sharing.

Funny.
02 Dec, 2009, Hanaisse wrote in the 4th comment:
omg … still laughing.. and sending it to every old mud buddy :lol:
02 Dec, 2009, Idealiad wrote in the 5th comment:
I've never read Cracked, but that was hilarious.
02 Dec, 2009, Twisol wrote in the 6th comment:
I read Cracked from time to time, and… I've never laughed so hard at a Cracked article. :lol: That was awesome. Thanks for the link! :biggrin:
03 Dec, 2009, Skol wrote in the 7th comment:
I was crying laughing, sheer awesome in a can heh.
03 Dec, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 8th comment:
I also liked this Cracked slideshow on what the world would be like if the internet suddenly vanished.

EDIT: here is a version that shows them all at the same time.
03 Dec, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 9th comment:
I have never seen zorklon before but I think that's just a spoof of Zork. Some of the comments on that page say it's a real game but I'm pretty sure it's not. I still actually have a 1985 Tandy computer and an original copy of Zorks 1 through 3 as well as Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and many many others. Leather Goddesses of Phobos used to be my favorite of those old style text games. I think I'm gonna have to dust off that old paper weight and play those games again.
03 Dec, 2009, Mudder wrote in the 10th comment:
I thought it was making fun of MUDs. These are actual single player games?
03 Dec, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 11th comment:
The are the origins of muds actually. Somebody thought it would be cool to play zork or similar games with other people and thus BBS's were born which evolved into muds.
03 Dec, 2009, Mudder wrote in the 12th comment:
I had a weird dream about a game like that once. Creepy to know they actually exist.
03 Dec, 2009, KaVir wrote in the 13th comment:
Igabod said:
The are the origins of muds actually. Somebody thought it would be cool to play zork or similar games with other people and thus BBS's were born which evolved into muds.

MUD (Multi-User Dungeon) is named after "Dungeon" (the official name of the game most people know today as "Zork").

However MUDs didn't evolve from BBSes - the two were developed in parallel (the first public dial-up BBS was developed in 1978, the same year as the first MUD) and they aren't really the same thing at all. There were some MUDs that could be played through BBSes (eg MajorMUD), but the BBS itself was more like the precursor of forum sites such as MudBytes or TMC.
03 Dec, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 14th comment:
Ah. Let us all thank the old geezer for sharing his knowledge with us and correcting my mistake with his infinite wisdom gained over the many decades in which he has existed on this planet. All hail the old dude!

Hehe, sorry Kavir. I had to take a crack at you being old cause a 10 year old girl made fun of me for talking about the dial-up days the other day.
03 Dec, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 15th comment:
KaVir said:
Igabod said:

MUD (Multi-User Dungeon) is named after "Dungeon" (the official name of the game most people know today as "Zork").

Dungeon was in fact the name of the popular 1978 Fortran port of Zork by a guy named Bob. Zork was never officially named Dungeon. Zork's wikipedia article claims different, but that article is unsourced and obviously put together by a bunch of noobs.
03 Dec, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 16th comment:
"A guy named Bob"? Sounds real official.
Since you complain about Wikipedia's lack of sourcing, well, what's your source? :wink:

BTW, Googling for "dungeon zork" strongly suggests that Dungeon really was a precursor to Zork as it was commercially sold by Infocom.
03 Dec, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 17th comment:
David Haley said:
"A guy named Bob"? Sounds real official.
Since you complain about Wikipedia's lack of sourcing, well, what's your source? :wink:

Having written and sourced most of the content of the MUD (and several related) articles on Wikipedia I think my opinion holds a little more weight than your 2 minutes of googling.
03 Dec, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 18th comment:
Well, I suppose it's natural that you think your opinion holds the most weight. I think KaVir's opinion is more trustworthy than yours, because his is consistent with available information, and you seem unable to provide sources that back up your statement even after a simple, direct question. :shrug: You're saying that you're right because you wrote Wikipedia articles – what is that supposed to establish?
03 Dec, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 19th comment:
What I mean is that I've researched the topic and cross compared several different sources. But by all means, go with Kavir. :)
03 Dec, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 20th comment:
If you've researched the topic, you have sources available to present. Why are you refusing to share your sources? You're asking me to take you on your word, when your word goes against what is at first apparent, and when furthermore you claim to have all kinds of sources and yet these mysterious sources somehow never make it to the open…
0.0/39