29 Nov, 2009, Fizban wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
Mudder said:
we here at Mudbytes are not slaves to standards and are able and willing to make changes if they're better. :unclesam:

I wouldn't exactly call it "better". Reading bottom to top is unintuitive and has zero advantages. There's a reason conversations aren't written like this:

Player A: Too bad, you're getting chicken.
Fizban: Damn, I wanted lobster.
Player A: Chicken.
Fizban: What's for dinner?
29 Nov, 2009, Mudder wrote in the 22nd comment:
I won't lie. My defense of it was simply because I like the way it is, currently, and find that it works well.

[rant]
I doubt the type of person that is so confused by this setup is the type of people we want to attract anyway. I mean, generally this community is full of literate, (mostly) intelligent, creative people capable of coding their imagination into reality. Surely they could figure out, and deal with, this slight inverse of order?

Also, I doubt a few curse words will scare away the masses. Sure it might offend a few but they will certainly be a minority. There will also be a minority that will be attracted by this colorful use of language. Admittedly, they might not be of the caliber we want - but at least the display will weed out the dumb ones. :P

EDIT:
Fizban said:
I wouldn't exactly call it "better". Reading bottom to top is unintuitive and has zero advantages.

How western centric you are! The Chinese read from right to left, would you say they were incorrect?
[/rant]

EDIT2: I would like to add that while I do enjoy the current display, my defense is in jest. :biggrin:
29 Nov, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 23rd comment:
Mudder said:
I won't lie. My defense of it was simply because I like the way it is, currently, and find that it works well.

Good enough reason to advocate it.

Mudder said:
I doubt the type of person that is so confused by this setup is the type of people we want to attract anyway.

I am not concerned about confusion. And it is awful, awful early in your participation here and
there to be pulling the "do we need their type" card.

The wrong-order thing is something I find annoying and I'm expressing it. It's not the
end of the world either way, but the current way is backward, annoying, and
unnecessary, and I wish it weren't. Whether newbies find it confusing is not my point.

Mudder said:
Also, I doubt a few curse words will scare away the masses.

This is not a good argument. Scaring away people who could otherwise be positive
participants is the issue. Masses, you'll note, are not who are of most value. Participants
with thoughtful/helpful/informative/constructive/etc posts are of most value. And of
that group, yes, there are a bunch you lose with unrestricted crude language. I run
an intermud network with channels of varying crudeness and I can tell you from
experience that the cesspool channels do indeed lose good solid participants because
of the turds floating around.

A better argument would have been "feh, it's just a realistic portrayal of ichat, take it
or leave it." That makes sense. It doesn't answer why a crapchannel is needed on the front page,
but at least it's a sensible argument.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
29 Nov, 2009, Mudder wrote in the 24th comment:
Cratylus said:
And it is awful, awful early in your participation here and
there to be pulling the "do we need their type" card.

Perhaps you missed this.
Mudder said:
EDIT2: I would like to add that while I do enjoy the current display, my defense is in jest. :biggrin:

Is it too early in my participation to correct your understand of my post accompanied with a snide remark? Probably. I'll drop the latter. ;)
29 Nov, 2009, Hyper_Eye wrote in the 25th comment:
The first thing I noticed was that the order isn't intuitive. I think most anyone would see it and consider it backwards. That is my only issue. I think it is pretty neat to have it up there and I see no reason to remove it. A curse filter may be a worthy consideration.
29 Nov, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 26th comment:
Mudder said:
Perhaps you missed this.
Mudder said:

I did not see that, as you added it while I was replying.

If by saying it was a joke that means you're retracting it, I suppose our only disagreement
is a matter of display preference.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
29 Nov, 2009, Mudder wrote in the 27th comment:
On a more serious note: I doubt a curse word filter would make any difference. Seeing "****" instead of "fuck" doesn't confuse anyone. Especially after they logged in and realized that such language was not blocked out when in actual use, it would at worst be misleading. More importantly, the content of the conversation is what would drive away or possibly attract new people.

If everyone is talking about stupid nonsensical crap, the people that are displeased by curse words wouldn't stick around regardless.

What would make the most sense is to have two channels, one for good conversation, one for nonsensical crap. Display the "good" channel only. I would advocate that.

EDIT: And yes, Crat. It was a joke.
EDIT2: Though I find it ironic that you disagreed with the one part of my post that supported your argument.
29 Nov, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 28th comment:
Mudder said:
What would make the most sense is to have two channels, one for good conversation, one for nonsensical crap. Display the "good" channel only.

That is a good idea.
29 Nov, 2009, Lobotomy wrote in the 29th comment:
kiasyn said:
I suspect theres a lot of stuff said on IMC that a lot of people would be interested in, but they don't bother looking. By placing 3 lines of text on the front page I am hoping to spark more interest in IMC :)

You're missing my point, kiasyn. I'm not saying remove it from the site entirely, nor am I saying to disable it for users by default. All I want is an option to turn the thing off.

Edit: Typo.
29 Nov, 2009, Kayle wrote in the 30th comment:
I didn't say that. Your quoted material was Kiasyn. Not me. But it was a valiant effort, none the less.
29 Nov, 2009, Fizban wrote in the 31st comment:
Mudder said:
How western centric you are! The Chinese read from right to left, would you say they were incorrect?
[/rant]

This is an english speaking forum, not a Chinese speaking forum. Your logic falls flat.
29 Nov, 2009, Zen_Clark wrote in the 32nd comment:
Fizban said:
… Your logic falls flat…

TWSS

Seriously though, why are you people arguing/debating over such pointless matters?
29 Nov, 2009, Kline wrote in the 33rd comment:
You must be new here. (:

Zen_Clark said:
Seriously though, why are you people arguing/debating over such pointless matters?
29 Nov, 2009, Zen_Clark wrote in the 34th comment:
Even if everyone here is known to argue over pointless things, the question is still valid. Why waste so much time and energy?
29 Nov, 2009, Runter wrote in the 35th comment:
Zen_Clark said:
Even if everyone here is known to argue over pointless things, the question is still valid. Why waste so much time and energy?

Because there is energy to waste.
29 Nov, 2009, Zen_Clark wrote in the 36th comment:
But wouldn't that energy be put to better use by building and coding better muds instead of arguing over the front page?
29 Nov, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 37th comment:
Lobotomy said:
kiasyn said:
I suspect theres a lot of stuff said on IMC that a lot of people would be interested in, but they don't bother looking. By placing 3 lines of text on the front page I am hoping to spark more interest in IMC :)

You're missing my point, kiasyn. I'm not saying remove it from the site entirely, nor am I saying to disable it for users by default. All I want is an option to turn the thing off.

Edit: Typo.

To be perfectly honest with you, I don't think the couple of hours it would take to add this to preferences is worth you having to skip over three incredibly huge, massive lines taking up the entire front page. If other people were also this bothered by it, it would make sense, but frankly I can't agree that your preference justifies the work that would be spent.

What is it that bothers you so much anyhow? Losing screen real estate? Seeing what people are saying on imc? The colors? You have used 'somewhat' strong language to voice your opposition and I'm left a little mystified as to what's so terrible. Perhaps if you were more precise, we could work toward a solution that pleased everybody.

There are more reasonable concerns here, such as what to do with inanity on the front page from time to time (that could be viewed as a feature or a bug) and the display order. I think having old-to-new makes more sense in almost all cases; new-to-old makes sense when you're trying to see what has happened recently and don't want to keep scrolling to the end of the page.
30 Nov, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 38th comment:
For example, one thing that might be more interesting to have than the three recent messages would be recent usage statistics, such as the number of people active in the last 5 minutes, hour and day; the number of messages in those time periods, etc. Keep the link to the log so that people can get more detail if they want. This avoids the problem of potentially embarrassing (w.r.t. MB, not just the speaker) or inappropriate things show up on the front page.
30 Nov, 2009, Runter wrote in the 39th comment:
They obviously are putting that small part of the page there for that because they hope to maybe boost some traffic into IMC2. Which is completely legit since they host and sponsor it. I think it's a little unseemly to demand not to see it.
30 Nov, 2009, Koron wrote in the 40th comment:
Aaaaanyway.

Isn't ichat one of those members-jacket-only channels? I realize there's already a trend of this with Talon and the IMC logbot schtick, but why is it that we have a purportedly elite channel open for all to see? Honestly, with things set up the way they are, there's little reason to keep the ichat/pchat divide. Might as well let the unwashed masses in, though I recommend soap for all.
20.0/71