14 Feb, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hey,

Does anyone know of any Web Based OLC projects out there?
Like, i have nothing against OLC or GUI offline builders.
But i cant access telnet at work, only web. So it would be ideal to be able
to build my areas, mobs, objects etc, from just a web browser.

If not, i'm thinking about developing one with PHP/MySQL. I'm running a ROM mud
and i still use traditional ROM area files. So, i'm wondering if i should store all the
data in a MySQL db and convert them, or if i should just have it where you can upload a .are file and use Session Variables to edit and save.

Sorry, my post is more or less a ton of questions.
Does this sound useful to anyone else?
14 Feb, 2009, Idealiad wrote in the 2nd comment:
Maybe you could try a web-based ssh client instead?
15 Feb, 2009, Zeno wrote in the 3rd comment:
If you put your MUD on something like http://mudgamers.com/ you can access it via flash and not telnet.
15 Feb, 2009, Skol wrote in the 4th comment:
Staryavsky, i think it could prove completely useful yeah.
I've actually considered that myself. Like a graph paper grid and you enter start/end vnum, click on a block and have the room stuff to the right (pulldown of sectors, buttons of room flags, fields for name/desc etc). Have room color change from like dark grey to whatever sector the room is.
I think have a 'dig' button to just click on rooms and dig them all out, then a 'link' button to make doors between (perhaps a 1-link/2-link for one/two-way links), then a side menu again for exit flags/doors etc.
I know I could build an area MUCH faster through that sort of an interface.

I'm not even sure that it'd need to have MySQL just have it write when you hit done. Although it would definitely be easier to link to a database heh. (And you wouldn't have one giant 'write area').

Anyway yeah, I'd thought of one too and found it would be a good idea.
15 Feb, 2009, Skol wrote in the 5th comment:
Ps. On a side note, have the PHP page pull the tables from the source files on room flags, exit flags, sectors etc, to create the menu. That way the menu is always current.
15 Feb, 2009, Davion wrote in the 6th comment:
staryavsky said:
If not, i'm thinking about developing one with PHP/MySQL. I'm running a ROM mud
and i still use traditional ROM area files. So, i'm wondering if i should store all the
data in a MySQL db and convert them, or if i should just have it where you can upload a .are file and use Session Variables to edit and save.

If you decide to stick with flat files, you can use this php code to load up your area files with PHP. May not be everything you're looking for, but it may help.
15 Feb, 2009, Skol wrote in the 7th comment:
Awesome Davion
16 Feb, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 8th comment:
Wow! thanks for all the info guys, thanks allot for the code as well.

:robot:
26 Aug, 2009, teknozwizard wrote in the 9th comment:
I've actually decided to do something similar by using VB 2008 EE (ducks because he knows there are people around that think VB is of the Devil and deserves to burn in hell for all eternity along with anyone that programs it!), for our mud simply because I'm rather lazy. And instead of writing up macros for everything, I thought of making a WFA that allowed me to mark a few check boxes and select a few options from a drop down list and type in a couple of descriptions here and there and then hit a submit button and then all that information I entered is submitted to the mud using the correct word. For instance, you open up my building editor and along the top you've got 1 check box next to each of the following words "Room | Mob | Object | Mprog" and to the side of that, you've got two check boxes next to the words "Create | Edit". Now, my theory is that if I can figure out VB 2008 EE appropriately, then I can actually program a function that'll check against which boxes are checked and use the appropriate word when submitted to the mud.

For instance, you've got Room and Create checked. A little further down the form, you've got all of the necessary room functions like name, description, room flags, exit flags, etc. You go through and you put in the name, and then you put in all the other stuff you want to put in and when you click submit it spits out

redit create <vnum>
name <blah>
room <flags>
description <blah>
<list exit creation and linking here>

That way, builders are at least twice as fast. But, it's still a theory and I'm still working on it. I'm not very good at VB programming. I'm figuring that I'd have to write a couple of class libraries to hold all of the commands in to pull from, but I'm not certain. Like I said, I'm still working on it.
26 Aug, 2009, Zenn wrote in the 10th comment:
I've always wanted to be able to use Portal's cartographer for building, because it's a wonderful tool.

That's impossible though, unfortunately. Maybe when(if) it becomes open-source.
27 Nov, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 11th comment:
27 Nov, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 12th comment:
Personally, I'd use GraphViz if you want to automatically lay out nodes with relationships to each other. The language for specifying graphs is pretty easy to use, too, and it figures out all the layout. I don't think you can easily specify left/right/up/down, though (although you can give it hints).
27 Nov, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 13th comment:
Hmmm, nice. I wish it offered a little more control over grouping and direction, but it's close. I wonder if that's what this site uses for generating the EVE system maps?
27 Nov, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 14th comment:
I found this program (yEd), which is kindof a cross between visio and freemind. It's a little dicey when you have overlaps (IE: two seperate buildings that sit at the same location but each have internal maps), but you'd expect that. Not sure if there's a way to scale a group of objects so they'd expand out and fit right… maybe. :)
27 Nov, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 15th comment:
GraphViz lets you create subgraphs, by the way, such that all components of a subgraph will be "boxed" together. But maybe it's not worth fighting with it too much, because it really isn't a mapping program but an abstract graph renderer of sorts.
28 Nov, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 16th comment:
28 Nov, 2009, Davion wrote in the 17th comment:

Once upon a midnight dreary, while I websurfed, weak and weary,
Over many a strange and spurious website of 'hot chicks galore',
While I clicked my fav'rite bookmark,
suddenly there came a warning,
And my heart was filled with mourning,
mourning for my dear amour.
"'Tis not possible," I muttered, "Give me back my cheap hardcore!"

Quoth the server, "404"
28 Nov, 2009, Mudder wrote in the 18th comment:
Lol. Beautiful.
28 Nov, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 19th comment:
Quoth the server, "404"

Strange, this error.
Worked before.

http://web.archive.org/web/2008021419165...
28 Nov, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 20th comment:
Hmmm, I think the last time I looked at CoffeeMUD, I had a brain anurism…. something about java and kitchen sinks and mile-long class paths… but yeah, it'd be fun to see what that thing did with my poor old non-euclidean world files. :)
0.0/21