20 Mar, 2007, Guest wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Sheesh. You apparently have to be very careful with Google these days. They kicked the qsfportal.com site to the curb after I moved it to another server. Changed IP. Guess they didn't care for it. Pagerank has been reset to 0. Is there any way to NOT piss these guys off? This isn't the first time it's happened, to the same site even.
20 Mar, 2007, Omega wrote in the 2nd comment:
my recommendation is to email them and ask them about it.

Since it is evil.
21 Mar, 2007, Scandum wrote in the 3rd comment:
Someone must be out to get you.

On a brighter note, the old page rank should be restored during the next google crawl.
21 Mar, 2007, Guest wrote in the 4th comment:
I don't know about out to get me, but it's kind of frustrating the way Google does stuff like this. The pagerank isn't terribly important but it would be nice if they'd leave it alone :P
22 Mar, 2007, Conner wrote in the 5th comment:
Isn't the pagerank supposed to be based on how frequently the site shows up in searches?
I was reading somewhere that google tends to punish people (via pagerank) if their bots feel that you've got duplicate content and they only go off the various site URLs to make that determination. While I have no idea as to the veracity of that, perhaps it's part of the problem?
22 Mar, 2007, Zeno wrote in the 6th comment:
Changing the IP should reset PageRank, in my opinion. If your domain expires and a domainsquatter grabs it, I wouldn't want my Pagerank to stay.
22 Mar, 2007, Conner wrote in the 7th comment:
Actually, I can see that perspective. Google doesn't know whether you've changed servers or lost the domain, and you wouldn't want anything from your own efforts to become beneficiary to squatters or spamers inadvertenly that way.
22 Mar, 2007, Guest wrote in the 8th comment:
Well I guess I'm just going to have to hope Google is smart enough to notice that I haven't lost the domain. The loss of meaningless pagerank is a small price to pay to stick it to spammers and squatters :)
22 Mar, 2007, Conner wrote in the 9th comment:
I'd imagine that, assuming that really is why they reset your pagerank when your IP changes, once the bot has crawled your site again and seen that it's still the same content, they're either restore your pagerank or at least make sure it's unrestricted further.
25 Mar, 2007, Brinson wrote in the 10th comment:
Pagerank is based largely off of links back to mudbytes. Links from higher Pagerank sites yield more.

The solution is simple…lots of us run sites, I'll work a link into my sites when I can, though they're not very high in pagerank themselves, if all our tiny sites join together, we might can help :D
25 Mar, 2007, Conner wrote in the 11th comment:
Somehow or other, I rather doubt that Samson will oppose such a decision. :wink:
25 Mar, 2007, Guest wrote in the 12th comment:
Heh, nope. I have no problem with being linked back to. :)
25 Mar, 2007, Skol wrote in the 13th comment:
Nod, I have a link on the main page, have since I joined. ;)
26 Mar, 2007, Conner wrote in the 14th comment:
I know I've got Mudbytes listed as an affiliate on most of my web sites. *shrug*
0.0/14