21 Nov, 2009, Greyankh wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hello,

(Warning: Post might be excessively long.)

I have been playing muds for quite a few years, over ten to be a bit more specific. I have had the opportunity to become an immortal on a few, but alas, they have closed their doors.

Here is what I would like to do:
I would like to code on a mud. This mud can be established, or in its inception. I don't care about size, playerbase, or staff size. I don't need to be the head coder, and I do not mind not having shell access until I pass your trust requirements. I am not here to steal anything, I am here to learn.

Type of mud I wish to work on:
This part is what will keep me working for you. It is kinda important to me, because over the years, I've found that these types of muds are the only ones I enjoy.
1.) I would like to work on a mud, not a mux, mush, or moo.
2.) I would like it to be roleplay enforced.
3.) I would like it to allow playerkilling(can be restricted, but I feel playerkilling helps with overall mood)
4.) I would like it to be fantasy-themed. I do not wish to work with spaceships or guns.
5.) I do not want to work for any dragonball Z type of theme (please see other posts in this category for the reasons why).
6.) The codebase must be written in C++ or at least, compile with a C++ compiler. (I understand this will limit my possibilities, as most codebases are written in C, but I'll explain why when I talk about me, below.)
7.) I would really like to work with others who agree that color is to enhance, not overburden. I do not wish to work on a "rainbow" mud. Less color, the better.

About me:
I am 40. I am an adult and I try very hard to act like one.
I can work alone, or in a group.
I have a Bachelors of Science, in Computer Science. (Learned C++ as my programming language)
I have a Masters of Science in Education.
I have a job.
I am a teacher. I teach High School, Math and Computer Science, in Virginia. (The computer language taught is Java in school.)
I have never coded a mud before. Nor have I ever been a head administrator. So I have zero experience when it comes to administrative issues. I do believe that, because of my education, I can figure it out. May take me a minute or two, but I have learned how to use Google.
I have a wife and kids, so mudding is a hobby, family first…always.
I have come to a stage in my life where I think it is time I moved to a new avenue with my hobby. Now, I would like to create, enhance, and give to others, some of the great things previous coders and admins have given me.

I have been doing a bit of research lately. I do wish to someday open my own door into the mudverse and have a place others come to play at. So far, the best advice from the experts is, work with someone who shares a like-minded approach and learn the ins and outs first. That is what I am trying to do now.

I think that about covers it. I tried to give you as much information as I could, so that you can decide if this is something you want. If you would like to offer me an opportunity, you can reply here, or contact me at Greyankh AT gmail DOT com.

Thanks again,
Grey
21 Nov, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 2nd comment:
I am curious why you don't download one of the many servers and start playing
around with it? If I wanted something so specific, I would just as soon start my
own project. There are however admins that are short a programmer, but in my own
experience, theyre going to call the shots. Also, a large percent of projects that
are looking for help are going to be either Diku based or LPC, which are mostly
written in C.

Have you thought about playing around with an existing base to get a feel for it?

I'm sure you'll find something eventually, but I think you would have more fun
starting something yourself.
:wink:
21 Nov, 2009, Mudder wrote in the 3rd comment:
I agree with Johnny. You've played MUDs enough to know how one should be, hell, I even agree with your requirements.

Download the RaM fire project and screw around with it. It's a C mud that compiles in C++ and in the process of converting to full C++

EDIT: It's a ROM base.
21 Nov, 2009, Idealiad wrote in the 4th comment:
I think Greyankh has a good plan though; while it may be harder to find a C++ mud, getting on one as a junior admin/coder even for a little while will teach things it would take much longer to learn solo, in my opinion.
21 Nov, 2009, Mudder wrote in the 5th comment:
On the topic of running a MUD - Since your desire is to probably open your own, I found this thread full of gems and really helped me get a proper focus.

I still read it when I find myself wondering what next step to take.
21 Nov, 2009, Greyankh wrote in the 6th comment:
Thanks for the replies.

I am curious why you don't download one of the many servers and start playing
around with it? If I wanted something so specific, I would just as soon start my
own project.

I have. I have a copy of quite a few actually. Some are really hard to find. I have awemud, tinymudserver, deus, and a couple of others. I have been poking around with them, learning the layout, makefiles, configurations and what-have you.
I agree with Johnny. You've played MUDs enough to know how one should be, hell, I even agree with your requirements.

Download the RaM fire project and screw around with it. It's a C mud that compiles in C++ and in the process of converting to full C++

I will. I have looked at both Rom and Rot, along with Circle. I like the scripting and olc of Circle, I may try to design one to mesh with what I plan to use.
I think Greyankh has a good plan though; while it may be harder to find a C++ mud, getting on one as a junior admin/coder even for a little while will teach things it would take much longer to learn solo, in my opinion.

Many people suggest this as the best course of action. Learn how to work on a staff before you decide to be in charge of a staff.
On the topic of running a MUD - Since your desire is to probably open your own, I found this thread full of gems and really helped me get a proper focus.

Read it before I posted. I think I have a solid foundation for what I would like to design, but I am still in the concept phase. I know how hard coders are to come by, and I've read a lengthy thread on how many owners become their chief coders. No one would want to work for someone who is not committed to doing most of the work.

Grey
22 Nov, 2009, Runter wrote in the 7th comment:
I don't really work with C or C++ any more, but I developed a mud for a bout 8 years in it. And I'd be glad to try to answers any questions you may have.
0.0/7