17 Nov, 2009, Grube wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Ok, I am looking for a pshop code that'd work with FotE 2.1.4. I have seen a few, but their creators aren't the sharing kind, lol. Understandably, especially since its a lot of hard work. Since we're currently looking for a full time coder, Galactic Horizons is suffering a little in the code development area, hehe. I have searched here, mudconnect, topmudsites and the swfote site. Nothin!

Any help would be nice!

Grube,
Owner, SW:Galactic Horizons
frostmud.com:8105
galactichorizons.freeforums.org
17 Nov, 2009, Mudder wrote in the 2nd comment:
I don't know anything about FotE but it couldn't be too difficult to take existing pet shop code from a similar base and convert it to work, using regular shops as an example.

Might take a lot of tweaking and experimenting, but I did similar without any formal coding knowledge.
17 Nov, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 3rd comment:
I might be able to lend a hand for the heck of it, PM me and I'll take a look.
18 Nov, 2009, Hanaisse wrote in the 4th comment:
Looking at the SW:FotE 2.1.4 in the code repository here, the shops.c file already has pshop code.
18 Nov, 2009, Grube wrote in the 5th comment:
{NOTE: I am not a coder, hehe}

I saw the pshop lines in shops.c, but there are no shop commands in game. and no do_ANYTHING for shops. Like I said, I'm not a coder (mine was fired, long story) so it's like speaking chineese at me, heh. JohnnyStarr said he'd help me and give it a look, tho! I'm going to try connecting with him. Thanks, guys! I'll keep posting here so the community at large will know what's up.
18 Nov, 2009, Hanaisse wrote in the 6th comment:
You don't need to be a coder (I'm far from one myself). You just need to know basic building.

The following are instructions for Smaug but should work for FotE.

CREATE A PET SHOP
———————

- Create a room using GOTO.
- Use REDIT to set all the normal parameters, and set with a ROOMFLAG of PETSHOP.
- Create a mob to act as shopkeeper setting all the normal parameters. There are no special flags required, typically just set as sentinel, pacifist.
- GOTO the next vnum to create the 'stable' where the pets are kept. (The stable MUST be the next vnum from the petshop) This room should be flagged with NOMOB SOLITARY NOSUMMON NOASTRAL and PRIVATE with no exits.
- Create animal mobs you want as pets. They should be set with ACT FLAGS PET. Load into the stable.
18 Nov, 2009, Grube wrote in the 7th comment:
OH! I meant PLAYER shops, hehe. Ya, we has pet shops. My bad, universal term for pshop must be mixed
18 Nov, 2009, Mudder wrote in the 8th comment:
Player shops meaning regular shops where players can buy eq, OR shops where players themselves are the shopkeep?

EDIT:
You don't need to be a coder to code. Just a high tolerance/patience for mistakes and a will to learn. I learned more from toying around with MUD code and a buddy to guide me in the right direction in the beginning than I learned from reading a C++ book. The book became mostly for review purposes and to fill the occasional gap.

…Now I just need to get an intermediate book.
18 Nov, 2009, Skol wrote in the 9th comment:
Mudder, I'm guessing he means shop owned by player, since the other kind is stock in any Diku-deriv.
19 Nov, 2009, Grube wrote in the 10th comment:
Yes, where players buy a mob for shopkeeper, and can sell their crafter or scavenged goods. There are a couple of snippets out there, but the creators aren't sharing =(

And that's what I want, is a buddy to guide me the right way, but no one wants to help me there, heh. Oh well. I'm taking C/C++ this spring.

EDIT:
And thanks for all the replies and help!
07 Dec, 2009, Davion wrote in the 11th comment:
Grube said:
Yes, where players buy a mob for shopkeeper, and can sell their crafter or scavenged goods. There are a couple of snippets out there, but the creators aren't sharing =(

And that's what I want, is a buddy to guide me the right way, but no one wants to help me there, heh. Oh well. I'm taking C/C++ this spring.

EDIT:
And thanks for all the replies and help!

Ya know, for a shop like that, where it's just a mob, all you have to do is have an immortal set it up. Shouldn't take more then a few minutes, and you can always make sure to regulate things that way, instead of having someone take advantage over an automated system.
07 Dec, 2009, Kayle wrote in the 12th comment:
The point is to be automated, so that the staff can continue to focus on getting new content out.

I had a copy of the system Grube is looking for at some point, I'll have to poke around and see if I can find it again.
07 Dec, 2009, Skol wrote in the 13th comment:
One thing when it does go in, make sure to disallow stocking of items that are no-remove, keys, those kinds of things (perhaps items with timers etc). I've ran into that in my own game and had to make exceptions.
0.0/13