14 Nov, 2009, Sandi wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
I noticed in your first post you listed the female name "His". Hopefully, you'd also generate the male name "Hers". ;)
14 Nov, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 22nd comment:
Amazing stuff Barm! I think it's a very original idea, with a nice delivery. A+ :wink:
14 Nov, 2009, Barm wrote in the 23rd comment:
Sandi said:
I noticed in your first post you listed the female name "His". Hopefully, you'd also generate the male name "Hers". ;)

I'll make sacrifices to my dark lord, Tasty, devourer of souls and Hagen Daz.
14 Nov, 2009, Barm wrote in the 24th comment:
staryavsky said:
Amazing stuff Barm! I think it's a very original idea, with a nice delivery. A+ :wink:

Thanks! I really enjoy this forum. There's not many places to have a discussion about random elf names. BTW, I'd be happy to take requests for snippets.
14 Nov, 2009, Hanaisse wrote in the 25th comment:
My personal favourite from the female names is Pissie. Could make some really amusing mobprogs to go with it.
Even funnier I noticed in female names is "Hianisie" - you almost captured my name! :D

I was going to steal some of these names but if you wanted to make a snippet compatible for Smaug I would definitely use it :)
14 Nov, 2009, Barm wrote in the 26th comment:
Hanaisse said:
I was going to steal some of these names but if you wanted to make a snippet compatible for Smaug I would definitely use it :)

You're welcome to any of the names – they're public domain as far as I'm concerned. Sorry, I forgot that 'snippet' had extra meaning in the MUD world – I meant Python code for a style of name generation. I'm afraid I don't know Smaug. OTOH, the namegen() function is pretty simple and shouldn't be too tough for someone to convert. It just picks from the lists produced by the analyze script.
14 Nov, 2009, Tonitrus wrote in the 27th comment:
Barm said:
You're welcome to any of the names – they're public domain as far as I'm concerned.

What about the code itself? It looks quite nice, but I get paranoid about code that doesn't come with an explicit license.
14 Nov, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 28th comment:
Speaking of generators like this, here is a funny example of generation gone wrong. :wink:

Edit: oh, re: license of code posted on forums, I think that the general community consensus is that you can use it with credit. I suppose if you want an explicit license, you'll have to ask for one (which you did).
15 Nov, 2009, Barm wrote in the 29th comment:
Tonitrus said:
Barm said:
You're welcome to any of the names – they're public domain as far as I'm concerned.

What about the code itself? It looks quite nice, but I get paranoid about code that doesn't come with an explicit license.

Barm's minimal nonsense licensing; if you get it from this thread consider it public domain. I say it that way because I've added it to my MUD project which is GPL and I don't want to have to package it again just for licensing. As David mentioned, I would be delighted to be credited (but it's not required). The whole point was to advance the art of gender and demonically inappropriate names. :)
15 Nov, 2009, quixadhal wrote in the 30th comment:
Barm said:
David Haley said:
Have you tried using n-grams to generate the names? It works by chopping up inputs into units (probably syllables in this case), and then determining not the frequency of individual units, but the probability of a given unit following another unit. This way, you end up with units more likely to actually seem to fit together..

Originally, I was going to try using Markhov chains but the first thing I ran into was how do I actually break a word into syllables? Take 'pewter' and 'marker' for example. Most people would break them as (pew) (ter) and (mark) + (er). No pattern to that. I didn't really want to manually specify or build a speech synthesis style dictionary (especially when dealing with fantasy names). That's where I took the easier route of (p)(ewt)(er) and (m)(ark)(er) and building from there.

Actually, there is a pattern. Do some searching on language origins and phonetics. A good place to start is looking at word stemming, since in this case you'd probably find "mark" and "pew" or "pewt" to be stems, with "er" or the variation "ter" to be a modifier.

In particular, Tolkien didn't make up his names at random. He actually built an entire language (several, in fact) and then expressed names in that language. The Silmarilian is full of hundreds of names, as well as a breakdown of how they work. :)
20.0/30