06 Nov, 2009, mitchm wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I currently have a MUD I've modified from an older version of CircleMUD. I'm thinking about updating my codebase but I need some advice on what might be a good one to go with.

An easy route would be going to CWG-Suntzu and just bringing in my custom changes. However I've been away from mudding for awhile so I'm not sure if there are more advanced code bases that would be more beneficial to run with.

For instance, are there any which allow spell creation without making coding changes? I believe Dawn of Time when I tried it some years ago had a feature close to that, but I don't see a lot of work being done on that base anymore.

I've thought about SMAUG - but there are so many different versions I'm not sure which to go with.

Any suggestions would be appreciated - a short list of what I like to have: introduction system, crafting system, housing system, I'd like immortals to be able to add some features without me needing to code them such as spells/races. Of course I can code all these in myself - but I'd rather not reinvent the wheel if it exists. Also I'd like something with a good scripting system for player quetss.
06 Nov, 2009, Scandum wrote in the 2nd comment:
You could give Lola a try. It has a powerful scripting system with plenty of quest examples in the provided areas, and a system for clans to build their own clanhalls. Not exactly what you're looking for, but it's a nice stable base to build off of with a bunch of features you won't find in other codebases, like a VT100 interface and hyper linked helpfiles.

http://www.mudbytes.net/index.php?a=file...
06 Nov, 2009, Zeno wrote in the 3rd comment:
What different versions of Smaug are you seeing?

The only one I suggest is SmaugFUSS, or any of the FUSS branches.
06 Nov, 2009, mitchm wrote in the 4th comment:
Zeno said:
What different versions of Smaug are you seeing?

The only one I suggest is SmaugFUSS, or any of the FUSS branches.

I see SmaugFuss and the smaugfuss ones that are star wars based and then something like ackfuss
06 Nov, 2009, Mabus wrote in the 5th comment:
You could give tbaMUD a go.

It is "the continued development of the codebase formerly known as CircleMUD", so I am sure there would be a community available to help you transfer what you already have to the new codebase.
06 Nov, 2009, Dean wrote in the 6th comment:
Either tbamud as Mabus said or CWG-Rasputin.
06 Nov, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 7th comment:
tbamud is loaded with cool features. Are you planning on keeping any existing code
or area files? If so, you might need to consider compatibility issues and if the benefits
of skill, quest and other systems are worth the overhead of making things work.

Otherwise, if you're looking for a clean break, then tbamud and SMAUG-fuss are both good
choices. tbamud uses a TON of macros which I don't personally agree with. Overall, SMAUG-fuss
seems to have the most consistency, but I'm mostly a ROM guy, so take that with a grain of salt.

IMO, it's worth the time it takes to develop custom systems to suit the needs of your current
or future Player base.
07 Nov, 2009, Confuto wrote in the 8th comment:
CoffeeMUD is a Java codebase with support for Circle areas and a huge amount of other features (including a spell/ability OLC thing). Depending on how much of your current code you want to take over (and if you know Java) it may or may not be a good choice.
0.0/8