30 Oct, 2009, Erok wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Spurred by an earlier discussion on event driven MUDs, EventMud v1.0 has been uploaded to the code repository under the SocketMud branch.

This is a quick and dirty (as in use this as an example only) migration of SocketMud v1.10 to an event notification library that enables asynchronous i/o and scheduled events.

The event notification library is called libevent, and documentation is available at http://monkey.org/~provos/libevent. This implementation used v2.0.1 (alpha) of libevent and was tested on a cygwin 1.7 platform.

The main polling loop of SocketMud has been replaced with a dispatch into libevent, and (so far) a set of callbacks to handle socket i/o and a few timers.
30 Oct, 2009, flumpy wrote in the 2nd comment:
30 Oct, 2009, syn wrote in the 3rd comment:
Thanks for putting the time and effort in, that's real nifty :)
31 Oct, 2009, Erok wrote in the 4th comment:
No problem.

I just uploaded a minor revision that got rid of some more dead socket code I forgot to delete earlier, and has a few tweaks as well. If I have time in the coming weeks, I may look into migrating SocketMud++ to ASIO. It has similar functionality to libevent, but is a C++ implementation.
02 Nov, 2009, Erok wrote in the 5th comment:
Erok said:
I may look into migrating SocketMud++ to ASIO.

So I did, and there's not much point. SocketMud++ has such minimal functionality that you can simply refer to the ASIO examples, which already include echo and chat servers/clients.
10 Jan, 2010, Kjwah wrote in the 6th comment:
Thanks for releasing this. This is some pretty nifty code. :D

Just what I needed to hopefully get me back in the mood to program.

Well, after I finish this homemade 360 vga cable. ;p
0.0/6