18 Oct, 2009, Mudder wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Title is self explanatory. Within the next couple hours I will be buying a C++ book. Internet tutorials and such are reaching their limits.

What is a fantastic C++ book for someone who will be doing almost strictly MUD coding? (ROM base if anyone cares)
18 Oct, 2009, Chris Bailey wrote in the 2nd comment:
If you are looking for something specific to muds, perhaps Penton's "Mud Game Programming". ?
18 Oct, 2009, Mudder wrote in the 3rd comment:
Well it doesn't necessarily have to be specific. But my uses will likely be.

I hesitate to limit my knowledge base of something to strictly MUDs to avoid missing crucial concepts that may not be covered but would be useful. …I might be changing my mind from my first post. Whoops!

Regardless, just give me the names of some sweet books and while I'm at the library I will look at all of them to see which ones I want to buy. :biggrin:

Thank you.
18 Oct, 2009, Davion wrote in the 4th comment:
18 Oct, 2009, Chris Bailey wrote in the 5th comment:
Mudder said:
Well it doesn't necessarily have to be specific. But my uses will likely be.

I hesitate to limit my knowledge base of something to strictly MUDs to avoid missing crucial concepts that may not be covered but would be useful. …I might be changing my mind from my first post. Whoops!

Regardless, just give me the names of some sweet books and while I'm at the library I will look at all of them to see which ones I want to buy. :biggrin:

Thank you.

If you don't have a background in computer science I would suggest something like "C++ for dummies" or "Teach yourself C++ in 24 hours".
I think they skip over a lot of the stuff that doesn't make sense to non CS majors, like myself. They tend to focus more on the things that
will get you programming as fast as possible, so you can learn by experience. That being said, the best programming book I have ever read
was "The Ruby Way", by Hal Fulton.
18 Oct, 2009, KaVir wrote in the 6th comment:
Mudder said:
What is a fantastic C++ book for someone who will be doing almost strictly MUD coding? (ROM base if anyone cares)

ROM is written in C. Are you a proficient C programmer, looking to convert ROM into C++? If so, how much are you planning to convert? Do you simply want to get it compiling as valid C++, or do you want to redesign the entire codebase?

As a general rule of thumb, if you can only own one book, I would recommend "The C++ Programming Language" by Bjarne Stroustrup. Likewise, every C programmer should have a copy of "The C Programming Language" by Brian Kernighan and Dennis Ritchie. These two books were written by the original designers of C++ and C respectively, and make superb reference books.
18 Oct, 2009, Mudder wrote in the 7th comment:
@KaVir This should answer your questions.

I ended up buying a book called C++ demystified. Ended up being a bad choice but it was all they had at the library (except for a C++ book aimed at people at the advanced stage) and I was keen to get started now. I'll undoubtedly be buying another soon and I'll make a note to grab "The C++ Programming Language."

Thank you. :)
18 Oct, 2009, KaVir wrote in the 8th comment:
I'd suggest having a flick through it first. "The C++ Programming Language" is an excellent reference book, but with no C++ knowledge and only limited C knowledge you might be better off with something gentler.

I developed my mud in C++ because I wanted to utilise OO programming techniques, but I was already proficient in both C and C++ before I started. If you're not proficient in either, you might want to consider an easier language such as Ruby or Python. If you're really only interested in mud coding, you might also want to look at LPC.
18 Oct, 2009, Silenus wrote in the 9th comment:
You may consider Bjarne Stroustrups new book which is aimed squarely at the non-programmer-

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Princi...

I have had a flip through this and it looks quite good though you probably should flick through it to see if it meets your needs.
18 Oct, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 10th comment:
I find that reference books are superb when you already know the topic but almost useless when you don't. The same book can be fantastic or terrible depending on where you are in your learning.
0.0/10