11 Oct, 2009, Lobotomy wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
Koron said:
I can find a religion to argue with just about any point you want to make. Loki's teachings have served me well.

a^2 + b^2 = c^2
11 Oct, 2009, Confuto wrote in the 22nd comment:
Why not just lock threads that turn in to a discussion of politics/religion rather than banning anything that might result in their discussion? Cratylus is right, if you're banning the discussion of evolution on the basis that it could result in a discussion of religion, you should also ban the discussion of astronomy, dinosaurs and Christmas. Similarly, the discussion of economics, current affairs and the film "W" should be banned as these will likely result in the discussion of politics. As far as I can see, the point of banning the discussion of politics/religion is to allow general discussion without controversy, but if you're going to ban anything that might result in controversy, you should remove general discussion altogether. I don't think that it's at all unreasonable to allow discussion of things such as evolution and economics as long as those discussing them understand that should the topic drift towards politics/religion, the thread will be locked.

EDIT: Not that I'm particularly keen on the politics/religion ban, but the evolution thing is laughably authoritarian.
11 Oct, 2009, Sandi wrote in the 23rd comment:
Confuto said:
Why not just lock threads that turn in to a discussion of politics/religion rather than banning anything that might result in their discussion?

That will happen, for sure.

Confuto said:
Not that I'm particularly keen on the politics/religion ban, but the evolution thing is laughably authoritarian.

Well, Crat specifically asked for it. He's just that kinda guy. :wink:

I do agree, though. I really don't think it's necessary. And it's ugly on the page. I think a few suspensions would clarify the wording, as it's an almost universal rule for forums.
11 Oct, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 24th comment:
If off-topic stuff is not welcome, make it say off-topic. Don't even bother trying to make an exhaustive list of topics you don't like, because you will fail. If the idea is to get rid of stuff that is not relevant here, then just do it.
11 Oct, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 25th comment:
Sandi said:
Well, Crat specifically asked for it. He's just that kinda guy. :wink:

Just to clarify for anyone tuning in late, I absolutely did not ask for a ban on discussion of evolution.

David Haley said:
If off-topic stuff is not welcome, make it say off-topic. Don't even bother trying to make an exhaustive list of topics you don't like, because you will fail. If the idea is to get rid of stuff that is not relevant here, then just do it.

That's what I said way back during the last threadlock, if the idea is a MUD-only site, then
just man up and make it a MUD-only site. This thing just brings us back to the bad old
days of one person being able to hold an entire thread hostage by provoking a lock
with religion talk, and worse still, by threatening to do so with mention of, say,
geological epochs.

Plus a change, it seems.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
11 Oct, 2009, Orrin wrote in the 26th comment:
It's silly to say you're banning religious and political discussions and then include "Darwinism/biological evolution", which is neither. If it's your intention to ban any topics that may lead to religious or political discussion then you would be better off banning off topic discussions altogether. It would be far clearer for everyone to understand just what is and isn't allowed. Just rename general chatter to "General MUD chatter" or something and make it clear that non mud related topics will be deleted.
11 Oct, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 27th comment:
Orrin's suggestion seems to be the clearest way of handling this, and would be my recommended approach, all things considered.
11 Oct, 2009, Koron wrote in the 28th comment:
Lobotomy said:
Koron said:
I can find a religion to argue with just about any point you want to make. Loki's teachings have served me well.

a^2 + b^2 = c^2

The Prophet did not write that into the Qur'an, so we have no way of verifying that it is ultimately true. The influence of Shaitan is far-reaching and his words seductive. Our attempts to quantify the influence of Allah are nothing short of blasphemous and should be outlawed.
11 Oct, 2009, Sandi wrote in the 29th comment:
Cratylus said:
Just to clarify for anyone tuning in late, I absolutely did not ask for a ban on discussion of evolution.

Oh, you were really askin' for it! :biggrin:

And then:
Cratylus said:
If evolution is out all I'm saying is put it in the rules so people know. I
sincerely do not think a discussion of evolution falls under that rule,
and if it's meant to, it should say so explicitly.

-Crat
11 Oct, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 30th comment:
"If it's meant to" != "it should"
11 Oct, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 31st comment:
Sandi said:
Cratylus said:

Oh, you were really askin' for it! :biggrin:

And then:
Cratylus said:
If evolution is out all I'm saying is put it in the rules so people know. I
sincerely do not think a discussion of evolution falls under that rule,
and if it's meant to, it should say so explicitly.

-Crat

Sandi.

That is a request for a clarification of the rule.

I neither asked for the rule, nor for the ban on evolution talk.

-Crat
11 Oct, 2009, Koron wrote in the 32nd comment:
By the way, once this seven day grace period is up, I expect every single offending thread to be locked so no one can accidentally post in it and get into trouble.
11 Oct, 2009, Guest wrote in the 33rd comment:
Koron said:
By the way, once this seven day grace period is up, I expect every single offending thread to be locked so no one can accidentally post in it and get into trouble.

Yes. That was already the plan. The 7 days is provided to allow things to wrap up. We can shorten that though if people want.
11 Oct, 2009, Tonitrus wrote in the 34th comment:
<A bunch of people> said:
<a bunch of stuff arguing over the removal of topics that cause arguments>

Hate to say I told you so.

(No, really, I do.)

Enjoy your slippery slope.
11 Oct, 2009, kiasyn wrote in the 35th comment:
This is no longer relevant, please see http://www.mudbytes.net/index.php?a=news... for more details.
20.0/35