30 Sep, 2009, Tumeski wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hello,

As you can see im new here and im taken lots of interest in ROM 2.4b6. Im kinda new to MUD style of playing and not familiar with it. I've been studying it this fasinating piece of art for couple of days and making my modifications. I know my ABC, I use C# .NET everyday at work and also help to run big servers so linux enviroments are real confy for me.

Anyway I've been toying around with the code, combiling, adding snippets etc… Now I have two questions.

1. I have lots of .are files in my area folder (remember ROM2.4). Okay I have tools with to edit the .are files and I've noticed that theres pretty many .are files that are crucial for the MUD server to work at all. I think it will start just fine, but if the database is missing haha :D

Anyway, I need to know how to work with this situation. I wanna create a new world from scratch. And also I would appreciate it if I could clean that area folder up. I could just use huuuuge vnum's and start building my world there, but dont wanna.

Just gimme some documentary how to work with that folder.

2. This is most likely simple, but cant find answer anywhere. How do I create gods. Immortals are there and bla bla bla, but I wanna see the god characters. I want to have full control over this and my second weakness is pfiles. Dont get them argh! I get the basic players fine. But editing immortals and gods is frustrating. I have basic levels and havent been modufying them. I wanna get one "Admin" freakin player and if Im right it should be level 60.

Thanks for making trough my horrible english (Im finnish) and big thanks for reply's in forehand.

Sincerely,
Tumeski
30 Sep, 2009, lnewlfe wrote in the 2nd comment:
The best way to figure out which areas are crucial are to delete them one by one *make sure you put them in a backup folder first!*, then go into alist.are, which is the boot file for the area files, so to speak, and make sure they removed from that list as well….

Im pretty sure the 2 main area's you cant delete are midgaard.are and limbo.are, as they have pre-assigned VNUMS, as well as maybe stock.are if you have that one…*shrug* Your going to then need to remove the linked exit's in midgaard from the other areas so that it wont have any linking issues.

As for making admin chars, steps are in one of the readme files, but here it is:"
-Make a character
-Get to level 2
-Save, and quit
go into the player folder, open the characters file.
find where it says lvl or lev or level or however it states your level, and change to 60
Re-login.

Your char is now admin level. Wizi or wiz i believe should bring up a list of wizard-commands…..maybe not in stock ROM *shrugs*
30 Sep, 2009, Sandi wrote in the 3rd comment:
The info you want is on

http://www.hypercube.org/tess/rom/

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be up this morning.

This can be found here, it's not as complete but should be a help:

Gary McNickle's helps
30 Sep, 2009, Tumeski wrote in the 4th comment:
Thank you for your answers.

Sandi, I noticed that ROM had that link in it, but it hasn't been working for couple of days now so I tought its obsolete these days. I've seen that guide before and didnt really answer my questions.

newlfe, Well eh… I noticed that limbo.are, rom.are, stock.are, (immortal.are and someother that is needed for OLC) and such are necessary. But it would be nice to get a list of whats a must .are files. Thats what im looking for.

I did that for admin char creation. I read it at the "manual". I level to lvl 2, went and modified. rebooted game, didnt change level. I dropped level to 55 it seems to work and Im immortal and so, but when I change it to 56, 57, 58, 59 or 60 it wont change :<

I noticed that ROM has a "gods" folder at root, so I think it's got something to do with that.

Thanks anyway, ill keep lurking :)
30 Sep, 2009, MacGregor wrote in the 5th comment:
Okay, a couple of thing here. First of all, you need to quit the game before editing your pfile. Otherwise your changes will be overwritten when it saves your character. This may be the reason why you had problems with your 56-60 level characters. Incidentally, it's not necessary to reboot the mud. Quit the game, edit the pfile, log onto the game again.

Grep merc.h for _VNUM_ to get a list of every hard_coded vnum, but be aware that not all of them are actually used in the game (ROOM_VNUM_HONOR, 4300, is an example of a vnum #defined but not used). Once you have a list of required vnums, it's easy to generate a list of required areas, and you'll also have a list of what to change if you decide to do some tinkering.

Some areas reset (load) things found in other areas. If the mob or object doesn't exist because its area has been removed, or even because it hasn't been loaded yet, the mud will abort. This means that even rearranging area.lst so that it loads areas in vnum order can cause you problems. Unfortunately there's no easy way to quickly find what areas load things from other areas. You can look through the #RESETS sections of the area files, though. I suppose a perl script could be written to do this.

ROM never reads the files in the gods directory, it only writes them. I do not know why this is so; perhaps Russ Taylor had intended to do something with them at one time but never got around to it. They can be used to document everybody who has ever been an immortal on your mud, I suppose.
30 Sep, 2009, Tumeski wrote in the 6th comment:
Umm… Lets change the question a bit.

How does everyone else create their own world(s) aka areas.
30 Sep, 2009, Skol wrote in the 7th comment:
I have a backup of the Rom Faq as well btw. Just in case the original goes missing etc ;).
http://www.ansalonmud.com/romfaq/

Tum, I'd look for the 'exlist' or 'exit list' snippet. Install that, then go into Midgaard and type exlist, start removing those exits. When you're done you'll be able to remove all of those areas (leaving midgaard and limbo) and have a 'blank' mud so to speak. Once you've removed the exits, asave changed. Then manually edit area.lst in the area directory on the server (make a back-up of course, area_lst.bak or such). Then delete all of them other than limbo.are and midgaard (leave help.are if it's there, olc.are etc). Exit and save that file, then on the game 'copyover'.
30 Sep, 2009, Sandi wrote in the 8th comment:
I use Nick Gammon's Area Editor and TextPad. I also depend on the Dizzy Building Guide for explanations of how things work.

I know a lot of people prefer OLC, but I found it easier to talk Nick into converting his SMAUG editor into working with ROM files. :cool:
30 Sep, 2009, Sandi wrote in the 9th comment:
Skol said:
I have a backup of the Rom Faq as well btw. Just in case the original goes missing etc ;).
http://www.ansalonmud.com/romfaq/

YAY!!

Look in Section 7.15 for details on what you can/can't remove.
30 Sep, 2009, MacGregor wrote in the 10th comment:
Tumeski said:
Umm… Lets change the question a bit.

How does everyone else create their own world(s) aka areas.

Well, I just stripped all the areas except limbo.are, midgaard.are and mudschool (ROM btw). Then I tweaked the code that referenced things that weren't there any more, or just didn't use the commands that would reference the objects. After getting my own mudschool going, I changed all the OBJ_VNUM_xxx that referred to school stuff to my new school's objects. Got a new main town, and changed ROOM_VNUM_TEMPLE and ROOM_TEMPLE_ALTAR to the new rooms. At that point I could remove midgaard.are and limbo.are. A few more tweaks here and there and it was done. Not a big deal, really.
30 Sep, 2009, Tumeski wrote in the 11th comment:
Thank you all for your answers.

Both problems cleared. Now that I have all that excess area stuff gone I can start working on my own.

Also I got the 60lvl char made and it works nicely.

A little question now, In my greeting window the input line is below the greeting and always the first input gives out "Illegal Name, try another". After that it resets nicely and works.

Its not big, but if someone can point it out it would be nice.
30 Sep, 2009, MacGregor wrote in the 12th comment:
More likely than not this is a client-side issue. Use plain ol' telnet and see if the same thing happens.

One possibility is that you're sending a "yes" in response to an unasked "Do you want color?" type question, or something along those lines.
30 Sep, 2009, Tumeski wrote in the 13th comment:
I've tried many other clients. Plain ol telnet, putty and MUD clients. Not showing any changes.

I have Colour 2.0v installed. Does it ask for colour on default? Hmm, might be missing something.
01 Oct, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 14th comment:
you might want to start out with quickmud, it has a lot of the major bugs worked out and has a fully working color code installed. the color 2.0 is causing the illegal name problem cause it was installed incorrectly, likely a faulty snippet. Quickmud is the basic rom with all the nifty features you would end up adding anyway. But if you want to stick with what you have already then you can get around that illegal name crap by typing in the letter Y first then entering your name, or if you want it fixed you should post on another thread asking for help with that.
01 Oct, 2009, Tumeski wrote in the 15th comment:
Igabod said:
you might want to start out with quickmud, it has a lot of the major bugs worked out and has a fully working color code installed. the color 2.0 is causing the illegal name problem cause it was installed incorrectly, likely a faulty snippet. Quickmud is the basic rom with all the nifty features you would end up adding anyway. But if you want to stick with what you have already then you can get around that illegal name crap by typing in the letter Y first then entering your name, or if you want it fixed you should post on another thread asking for help with that.

Thanks fot the idea. I picked Quickmud up and made my modifications to it. Works nicely.
0.0/15