28 Sep, 2009, Morph wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to code in skills for dbx circle code? for dbz theme?
28 Sep, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 2nd comment:
In most code bases, skills are usually hard coded into a skill table of some sort.
Although I am not familiar with dbx, I would assume it is contained within a file called skills.c
or something similar. Although you can just add-in what you want, there is typically much more involved, thus requiring a base knowledge of C, and an understanding of the entire structure of the application.

Not trying to discount your question, but even if someone provided step by step instructions, you might need
To Learn more than you think.
28 Sep, 2009, Morph wrote in the 3rd comment:
lol true that..cant trust anyone to help me now-a-day:S is there a website about coding?
28 Sep, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 4th comment:
You will find many are willing to help.
But you might want to narrow down your question
To something more specific. ;)
28 Sep, 2009, Zeno wrote in the 5th comment:
If your MUD is in C, this is a decent site on learning it: http://www.cprogramming.com/
28 Sep, 2009, Morph wrote in the 6th comment:
well lol im a new coder trying to code i dont kno the lang…lol kno show me how to read it yet:S
28 Sep, 2009, Koron wrote in the 7th comment:
Welcome to the Internet. :)

If you're looking to create a series of similar skills, you'll find it easy, except for syntax issues. On the other hand, if you want a wide variety, you are going to have to study–a lot. Even more than you think you will. Probably even more still. Start with a good website (like Zeno linked) or a basic programming book in whatever language your mud uses.

Good luck.
28 Sep, 2009, Morph wrote in the 8th comment:
or you wanna help me?:P
28 Sep, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 9th comment:
How are you defining "help", Morph? I think people have given you a few useful pointers; were those not what you had in mind? If not, what did you have in mind?
28 Sep, 2009, elanthis wrote in the 10th comment:
Put more bluntly: go learn how to do it (links have been provided as good first steps) and quit asking people to do all the heavy lifting for you. Nobody here has any reason to invest time into your MUD, and so far you have even managed to very firmly give us all the impression that you're too lazy to learn how on your own. We can answer specific questions, but saying "help me do it without learning how" really means "do it for me," and that just isn't going to happen.

Also, do realize that people might be slightly more willing to invest time into providing more complete and concrete answers to your questions if you didn't type like a low-GPA 13 year old.
28 Sep, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 11th comment:
Maybe mudbytes could add a newbies section?
I would hate to see him get discouraged from learning.
Elanthis is right, but that was a bit harsh.
28 Sep, 2009, tphegley wrote in the 12th comment:
Basically, look at the code. Find a skill that you would like to copy and copy that and rename it. Try and get it to compile and see where you messed up. Also read that link that was given.

I am self taught and I just pretty copied and pasted stuff until I figured out 'WHY' it worked and 'HOW' it worked and moved on up from there.
0.0/12