25 Sep, 2009, Valcados wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
This year, the Lands of Aethar (SMAUG) was retired after a 15-year run. I decided to immortalize it by converting the whole world into HTML and throwing it on a conventional webhost. Check it out, I'm interested in hearing what people think of this very unusual medium for exploring a SMAUG-built world.

The Lands of Aethar
25 Sep, 2009, Guest wrote in the 2nd comment:
Interesting. That's not a half bad idea. Somewhat tempted to do the same with Alsherok now too.
25 Sep, 2009, Caius wrote in the 3rd comment:
Yeah, I think it's an interesting idea as well. Perhaps you could render the html in a monospaced font to make it more MUD-like?
25 Sep, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 4th comment:
very neat indeed, great job Valcados.
25 Sep, 2009, Idealiad wrote in the 5th comment:
Really cool idea, how much work was it to write the script to convert everything?
25 Sep, 2009, Orrin wrote in the 6th comment:
I like it, maybe someone should start up a MUD graveyard type site where people can archive their old games.
25 Sep, 2009, Sandi wrote in the 7th comment:
That might even be a cool thing to do with a running MUD, to give people an idea of what it was like.
25 Sep, 2009, Zenn wrote in the 8th comment:
If you want it to look nicer, what you can do is start the MUD, go into it with MUSHClient, and copy+paste the room IN HTML.

C+P in HTML button in Mushclient realistically recreates the color output so you can have it look exactly as it would if you were connected to the game.
25 Sep, 2009, KaVir wrote in the 9th comment:
Sandi said:
That might even be a cool thing to do with a running MUD, to give people an idea of what it was like.

Indeed, although you might want to leave out some of the secret locations in that case, otherwise people could use it as a way to safely map out your world ;)

You'd lose out on the benefits of dynamic descriptions though (if you used them of course), which would be a shame if you were trying to show off the mud. Maybe you could get around that by allowing the viewer to configure various options.
25 Sep, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 10th comment:
Wouldn't it be easier to have some kind of simple 'spectator mode' for the MUD, so that people can wander around without having to do anything, and get the real experience? What advantage is there of putting a live MUD on a web page as a static experience? The main one I see is that you don't need anything other than a web browser, but that seems like a relatively small advantage compared to the problems (such as the one KaVir mentioned).
26 Sep, 2009, Idealiad wrote in the 11th comment:
I don't know, it's probably easier to scrape a webpage for various purposes than run a bot on a running server. Not that I can imagine what you'd scrape it for, but still.
0.0/11