22 Sep, 2009, Wharp wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I've been around the forums, the internet, Mud's and I've finally set my mind to start a MUD.
I have figured i either want to go with C++ (as thats what looks most abundant around here.)
So now I am looking for how to start, Maybe a mentor, and a codebase (a fantasy).
Any help?
22 Sep, 2009, lnewlfe wrote in the 2nd comment:
read through the threads, and get an idea on the type of mud you want. Then decide what codebase you want, and then get ready to pull your hair out from then on, and possibly become an alcoholic cursed with insomnia, spending hours apon hours trying to get things to compile properly.
22 Sep, 2009, Wharp wrote in the 3rd comment:
Sounds Like the life ^^
22 Sep, 2009, Zenn wrote in the 4th comment:
Wharp said:
I've been around the forums, the internet, Mud's and I've finally set my mind to start a MUD.
I have figured i either want to go with C++ (as thats what looks most abundant around here.)
So now I am looking for how to start, Maybe a mentor, and a codebase (a fantasy).
Any help?

Actually, the most common is standard C, not C++.
22 Sep, 2009, lnewlfe wrote in the 5th comment:
C will compile in C++ though…although im sure something is different….
22 Sep, 2009, Zenn wrote in the 6th comment:
22 Sep, 2009, KaVir wrote in the 7th comment:
My mud is mainly developed in C++, but I do find it useful being able to incorporate various C modules I've written previously. Note that C code sometimes requires minor changes before it'll compile under C++, but such modifications are generally pretty simple.
22 Sep, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 8th comment:
KaVir said:
Note that C code sometimes requires minor changes before it'll compile under C++, but such modifications are generally pretty simple.

That is true, but not simple for a beginner.
If you are new to C, I would suggest that you choose a codebase and
stick with it. Unless your mud is already mostly C++, it will most likely
be in C with little to no C++ enhancements added.

Personally, I started with QuickMud, learned how to clean it up to compile in g++
and then learned C++. If my goal was to learn C++ I would have started with it, but
for me, my goal was to start my own mud, preferably one I was familiar with, so
since QuickMud is ROM 2.4b with some stuff thrown in, it was logical choice.
So, you might be best off figuring what type of mud you want, then worry about the
language.
23 Sep, 2009, Wharp wrote in the 9th comment:
Okay, where could I find a fantasy codebase?
23 Sep, 2009, Zenn wrote in the 10th comment:
If you look in 'Code Repository' there are a LOT of codebases.

Personally I'm a SMAUG fan.
24 Sep, 2009, Confuto wrote in the 11th comment:
If you want to make a Diku derivative MUD then please disregard this post.

In all honesty, I would steer clear of C/C++ for a MUD if you've never programmed with those languages before. While it is entirely possible to learn them and learn them well by tinkering with a MUD codebase, there's no real need to when there are plenty of codebases available in simpler, quick-to-learn languages. I'm talking specifically here about LPC, Java, and especially Python and Ruby. I completed the "Non-Programmer's Guide to Python" in around 2 days and was able to jump right in to Python code (with the language reference on hand) and really haven't looked back. From what I understand, Ruby is fairly similar. I found Java and LPC (when I tried them) to be a little more difficult.

The downside with Python/Ruby codebases is that they're not that fully featured. Where it's possible to download something like SMAUG (a Diku derivative), compile it and have a fairly complete game (just add areas), this isn't possible with things such as NakedMUD/TeensyMUD. There are, however, some very fully featured codebases in LPC and Java. As I said, if you're set on having a Diku derivative, this is probably all moot, but if you're not then I would strongly encourage you to consider choosing a language easier than C/C++ if you've had no experience with them.

Dead Souls 2 is a feature-rich codebase written in LPC.
CoffeeMUD is a feature-rich codebase written in Java.
NakedMUD is a barebones codebase written in Python and C (an entire game can be coded in Python with minimal C modifications).
TeensyMUD is a barebones codebase written in Ruby.
24 Sep, 2009, Cratylus wrote in the 12th comment:
Confuto said:
Dead Souls 2 is a feature-rich codebase written in LPC.
CoffeeMUD is a feature-rich codebase written in Java.
NakedMUD is a barebones codebase written in Python and C (an entire game can be coded in Python with minimal C modifications).
TeensyMUD is a barebones codebase written in Ruby.

For a stone cold newbie that wants not just a codebase but a "fantasy codebase",
CoffeeMUD is absolutely an excellent choice.

-Crat
http://lpmuds.net
24 Sep, 2009, elanthis wrote in the 13th comment:
For the love of God, please do not try to learn C, C++, or any other programming language by writing a MUD. You might as well try to learn how to be a shipwright by designing a battle cruiser as your first project. You WILL fail. Instead of biting off far, far, far more than you can possibly chew and then losing heart in programming altogether, start with basic programming exercises and simple projects. In a couple years of study you can get yourself to the point of being able to write an actually good simple, single-player game. Practice by developing a few of those, and _then_ try to write a MUD (or a graphical multi-player game, if you prefer).
24 Sep, 2009, KaVir wrote in the 14th comment:
elanthis said:
For the love of God, please do not try to learn C, C++, or any other programming language by writing a MUD. You might as well try to learn how to be a shipwright by designing a battle cruiser as your first project. You WILL fail.

I would agree with not learning how to program by writing a mud, but if you already know how to program (and particularly if you're already proficient in a similar language and the necessary paradigms) it's certainly possible to learn a fair amount through tinkering. You'll still want a good reference book though, and doing regular programming exercises alongside the mud development can also be helpful.
24 Sep, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 15th comment:
I think that "tinkering" != "writing a MUD": I would never advise that somebody try to learn to program by writing a MUD, but I would happily advise that somebody poke around and tinker a little bit (even if they don't really know how to program yet). I would even more happily advise that they learn things the "proper" way.
24 Sep, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 16th comment:
If your goal is to boot a mud overnight and slowly add things to it, than a feature rich mud like a Diku might be the way to go.
It seems to me, that if he just wanted to learn to program he wouldn't be specifically on mud forum.
Personally, I don't have much time, but I get the most fun out of understanding what I don't currently know.
But for what it's worth, a year ago I didn't understand anything about C, I had some VB experience and used to play muds when I
was in High School. But now, I'm in love with learning new things, and this forum has been very helpful. So for anyone out there that's
up for the challanges and the headaches, learning C/C++ based muds has it's own rewards.
0.0/16