22 Sep, 2009, lnewlfe wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Error with the quest codee, though im not sure where it lies….

Here is the situation: Mud compiles fine. You find a quester, request a quest, gives them out. You can complete them, and get your QP. The only issue is when you purchase items. If you do not have enough QP, you get the proper message, and if you request an item that does not wxist, you get the proper message. When you meet all the req. for the item, and type 'quest buy <item>' nothing appears, nor a verbal message. This only applies to weapons and armor. I went into the code, and saw that many of the items that were assigned vnums did not actually exist at the vnum, so i created a new area just for quest items, and changed the define numbers, but still nothing. Any idea?
22 Sep, 2009, Zeno wrote in the 2nd comment:
gdb would be your best bet to debug what is happening.
22 Sep, 2009, lnewlfe wrote in the 3rd comment:
how do i use/run gdb?
22 Sep, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 4th comment:
Here is an excellent guide to gdb, written by Nick Gammon.
22 Sep, 2009, lnewlfe wrote in the 5th comment:
thanks.
22 Sep, 2009, lnewlfe wrote in the 6th comment:
the mud isnt crashing thou…..from what i've skimmed over so far *in class* its reading dump files from crashes…
22 Sep, 2009, Koron wrote in the 7th comment:
Learn how to use attach.
gdb
file <your executable>
attach <its pid>

You will no doubt also want to learn how to use breakpoints.
22 Sep, 2009, Zeno wrote in the 8th comment:
gdb isn't used for just crashes. It can be used to step through code and print what is going on.
22 Sep, 2009, Hanaisse wrote in the 9th comment:
You didn't state where you are when you type 'quest buy'.
Does your MUD require a shop to buy the items at with a shopkeeper with items stocked? That's the usual setup I've seen.

BTW, found this in the description of the ShadowStorm download;

This is a Codebase I worked on with a bloke by the name of Synon. It's really big! So it's probably full of bugs!

You've indicated you're a new programmer, are you sure this is where you want to start? :wink:
23 Sep, 2009, lnewlfe wrote in the 10th comment:
lol im too far in now to turn back :P Good to learn though.
0.0/10