13 Sep, 2009, DK p1990 wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Looking for a source code that will compile with little to no errors so i can use it to practice coding and implamenting things without having to know enough to build a full mud…if anyone knows where i can get a source that will compile easily please let me know what it is and where to find it…i've looked in the code repository but most of the ones in there i have tried are so stripped down i don't even have basic commands which is making me start on a much bigger task then i want to jump into…so yeah…if you know where let me know or if you have a basic code that will start and i could use to further my learning you can send it to me at

darrylkp1990@aol.com
13 Sep, 2009, Zeno wrote in the 2nd comment:
SmaugFUSS is maintained and will compile without errors.
14 Sep, 2009, Kline wrote in the 3rd comment:
+1 for AckFUSS. I only have Debian and Ubuntu to test against, but it compiles and runs well on both of those so far :)
15 Sep, 2009, DK p1990 wrote in the 4th comment:
hey i have my mud compiled but i do not understand this startup part usually its ./startup& but this one is saying

# /bin/sh replacement for startup, by Spectrum

/*and i was told to use*/ chmod +x startup

/*but this is giving me permission denied so i am stumped*/
15 Sep, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 5th comment:
chmod u+x startup will modify the permissions on the startup file for the User to be able to eXecute the file. Once you have that done just type "./startup &" and hit enter. I'm sure you already changed the startup file to the port you're running this on.

[edit to fix a typo and add emphasis to the U and X]
16 Sep, 2009, DK p1990 wrote in the 6th comment:
ok this is what i have my startup changed to

#!/bin/sh
#
# /bin/sh replacement for startup, by Spectrum
#

# grab the port number
port=9500
if [ "$1" != "" ]; then port=$1; fi

/*so when i start i should connect using localhost port 9500 but its not connecting its showing i don't have permission still even with emphasis on the U X but this is right im sure of it*/

chmod 'u'+'x' startup
./startup &

its comming back saying its started basicly…

$ ./startup &
[1] 3876

$ ./startup: line 5: $'\r': command not found
./startup: line 7: port: command not found
./startup: line 61: syntax error: unexpected end of file

/* what i think is its not connecting cuz its not setting a port, what do you all think?*/
16 Sep, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 7th comment:
You need to make sure that the startup file is in Unix file format, not DOS. How are you editing this file?

If you're on Cygwin, try installing the "dos2unix" or "unix2dos" or "tofrodos" package – I'm not sure which it is – and then running "dos2unix startup".
16 Sep, 2009, Tyche wrote in the 8th comment:
David Haley said:
If you're on Cygwin, try installing the "dos2unix" or "unix2dos" or "tofrodos" package – I'm not sure which it is – and then running "dos2unix startup".

No such packages.
16 Sep, 2009, Tyche wrote in the 9th comment:
DK p1990 said:
$ ./startup: line 5: $'\r': command not found
./startup: line 7: port: command not found
./startup: line 61: syntax error: unexpected end of file

Maybe this will help.
16 Sep, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 10th comment:
My bad, the package is called 'cygutils'. See also this link. (Googling would have worked, too)
Anyhow, dos2unix will do this for you. Easier & safer than invoking perl by yourself.
16 Sep, 2009, DK p1990 wrote in the 11th comment:
I am using cygwin and crimson editor and i have the cygutils downloaded….there is a drop down screen for perl and theres many different things for packages would it help to get an answer if i listed my options for downloads of perl?
16 Sep, 2009, Tyche wrote in the 12th comment:
There are instructions for text file conversion on that page for perl, sed, vi, cygutils or ruby.
If you've figured out how to install cygutils then you don't need to install perl.
Nevertheless you install perl the same way you installed cygutils or gcc.
The setup is documented at http://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/setup-ne...
16 Sep, 2009, DK p1990 wrote in the 13th comment:
ok well with the cygutils all i did was pick the packages and kinda expected it to auto install because it auto installs everything else that i picked as packages looked over that cyg setup site and it says some things have to be manual install but i don't quiet understand how to install the cygutils…looked up an down the site but imma no the brightest light bulb in the pack so if you could point me in the right direction or give me directions that would be great.

Ok i found a bit more information in the release folder…i do for sure have cygutils…i extracted the files and i got a setup file…when i opened it the file explained that it should auto start…well automaticly generate so i am looking at the website it refered me to in this file but any additional help would be nice!…..ok this site offered little…to well no help so yeah im gunna look around in google…..sry for posting all this rigamarole…ill only edit again if i resolve the problem or one of you respond
17 Sep, 2009, Tyche wrote in the 14th comment:
DK p1990 said:
Ok i found a bit more information in the release folder…i do for sure have cygutils…i extracted the files and i got a setup file…when i opened it the file explained that it should auto start…well automaticly generate so i am looking at the website it refered me to in this file but any additional help would be nice!…..ok this site offered little…to well no help so yeah im gunna look around in google…..sry for posting all this rigamarole…ill only edit again if i resolve the problem or one of you respond

The link I provided is the documentation for running cygwin's setup and installing Cygwin packages like cygutils.
The GNUwin32 project is not Cygwin. Sorry I can't help you.
0.0/14