11 Sep, 2009, DK p1990 wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I have my mud fully compiled and have read over the startup file but it don't tell me what to use as my hostname i've tried using my ip and isp as the name but neither worked so im not sure what to put…my port is set up already as 1111 just left it how it was when i compiled the mud so if anyone can tell me what to use as my host name just to get it where i can log in on my personel computer through a client it would be greatly apreshiated
11 Sep, 2009, Sharmair wrote in the 2nd comment:
If it is on the same computer you are connecting from, you can use
localhost or the ip 127.0.0.1
11 Sep, 2009, DK p1990 wrote in the 3rd comment:
omg im slow, ok i have the startup file and now the host and port and its compiled how do i start it?…the one i had before if i remember correctly i had to do startup/C:<link to mud>

nevermind i got it just had to disable firwall an such well not so much disable just let it know to let the networking files run without being seen as cookiees
11 Sep, 2009, Sharmair wrote in the 4th comment:
Assuming it is still like SMAUG and you want to use the startup script, startup should
be in the src dir with your newly built binary. You should be in that dir and type
./startup &
in the *nix shell.
You can also put a port number after startup to use another port, and you might really
not want to use the & to have it run in the background (actually, I am not sure cygwin
even supports it).
As a note, to run my SMAUG code on my windows computer, I put the exe in the area
dir (though really I could be in the parent or any sibling dir) and open a dos box go to
area and run the exe. Though, I compile native (using MSVC) and the MUD handles
logging (it does not rely on the startup script to redirect stderr).
11 Sep, 2009, DK p1990 wrote in the 5th comment:
ok i have it started but when i tried to log the admin the password was wrong…so i went into the pfile and changed the password. Then i shutdown the mud and restarted it but it still said password wrong….so at that point i made a new character but when i got done with the make process i had no command access so i am unsure where to go with this….if i am missing part of the source or what…this is the code that i have SWR 1.3 FUSS
It compiles just fine but when i start it i get pages and pages of txt running by two fast for me to read it all but heres a couple lines….i think this is what its sending for everything its starting…so if you have any suggestions please give em up because im stumped…

Fri Sep 11 00:46:14 2009 :: [*****] FILE: jedi.are LINE: 704
Fri Sep 11 00:46:14 2009 :: [*****] BUG: Error locating function spec_make_appre
ntice_jedi in symbol table.
11 Sep, 2009, Mabus wrote in the 6th comment:
DK p1990 said:
ok i have it started but when i tried to log the admin the password was wrong…so i went into the pfile and changed the password. Then i shutdown the mud and restarted it but it still said password wrong….

Depending on the codebase, the player files may save at shutdown.

Try fully shutting down the game, then altering the player file.
11 Sep, 2009, DK p1990 wrote in the 7th comment:
i did that and i did nothing for me…i looked and all the commands are declared and all are defined so i don't understand why i am not able to use these functions

DECLARE_DO_FUN( do_down );

#define TRIG_D_DOWN BV08

#COMMAND
Name down~
Code do_down
Position 8
Level 0
Log 0
End
11 Sep, 2009, Sharmair wrote in the 8th comment:
First, as for the bug messages on startup. When the MUD starts, it loads alot of
data files, areas, races, classes spells/skills, commands etc. and it will report the
progress though the load and any things not quite right. In the case of the lines
you posted, it would seem the jedi.are (area) has a mob that uses a spec function
that your code does not have. As it did not stop the startup, the mob was loaded
without a spec. There are some loading problems that will stop the startup, but if
the MUD is starting, I would not worry much about them now (later go back and
edit areas or add code or whatever if you want to clean them all up).

As far as the passwords, if your code is hashing the passwords (not just plain text)
you will not be able to just change them in the pfile (unless you have the hash to
put in). Depending on the hash method, you might be able to make the password
blank (note that the data in the pfile has a ~ after the password and that still has
to be there) and just press enter at the password prompt.

You might try just changing the level in the new character you made to be max level
to have him be able to use all the commands (this was the way you did it before they
started shipping with the admin account).

Finally, the MUD saves your pfile when you quit, overwriting any direct editing you
might have done while connected, so only edit a pfile of a player that is NOT logged
in.
11 Sep, 2009, Sharmair wrote in the 9th comment:
DK p1990 said:
i did that and i did nothing for me…i looked and all the commands are declared and all are defined so i don't understand why i am not able to use these functions

DECLARE_DO_FUN( do_down );

#define TRIG_D_DOWN BV08

#COMMAND
Name down~
Code do_down
Position 8
Level 0
Log 0
End

Ok, this has me thinking your code uses a hack for getting the names and addresses
of your commands (and probably skills/spells and specs too) that cygwin does not
support. I think it is called dynsym or some such. I don't know if you can install it on
cygwin as I don't use cygwin (and even if I did, I would instead restore the code to a
proper system as it had in tables.c, though I would use a sorted name/symbol array
instead of the hard coded if and switch statements of the stock codebases).
Other then upgrading cygwin, your best bets would probably be either using a related
codebase without this in it (I know there are SWR derivatives without it) or getting a
free account at one of the MUD hosting places. There is also compiling native with
MSVC, but I take it as you are using cygwin that is not an option.
11 Sep, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 10th comment:
Dynamic symbol lookup can cause problems on Cygwin, but I certainly wouldn't call it a hack of imply that it's some kind of "improper system". One that you don't like, perhaps – I'm not a big fan of it myself and I view it as unnecessary in this case – but it's not an evil hack.
11 Sep, 2009, Sharmair wrote in the 11th comment:
David Haley said:
Dynamic symbol lookup can cause problems on Cygwin, but I certainly wouldn't call it a hack of imply that it's some kind of "improper system". One that you don't like, perhaps – I'm not a big fan of it myself and I view it as unnecessary in this case – but it's not an evil hack.

Maybe I should have said it a bit more clear. I did not mean the dynamic lookup itself was the 'hack' but it's use
in MUDs like this that was the 'hack'. The system (as I understand it) is for using things like DLLs where the symbols
are not in the name space of the client program. In this type of use, you are adding all the code for your new command,
spell or spec in a static build. Then, just so you don't have to add one or 2 more lines in a table someplace (in tables.c
in this case) you resort to a platform specific system? Yes, I may be a little harsh on its use like this, but if the code
was left well enough alone (and assuming this is the OP's current problem) the OP would be playing on his new MUD
now instead of being frustrated and asking for help here.
11 Sep, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 12th comment:
Ah, well, sure, I agree that it was unnecessary in this case, and indeed causes confusion that should have been avoided. I'd be curious to hear the reasoning of whoever put that in in the first place.
11 Sep, 2009, Koron wrote in the 13th comment:
I always liked the idea of doing commands this way because it makes it easy to disable them on the fly. Of course, you can do that just as well by having the mud load the default command level at startup and then creating a command to modify that in-game. So many ways to do the same thing!
11 Sep, 2009, elanthis wrote in the 14th comment:
A cleaner way to do that kind of thing (especially if you're not using C++) is to parse the commands source file with a small script and generate the function lookup table. Code generation can be icky, but it gets the job done.
12 Sep, 2009, DK p1990 wrote in the 15th comment:
is there a compiler i can use where i don't have to go through and change every command in the mud just to get my commands back? You see im not an avid coder just know little stuff but thats why im here and also trying to learn from tutorials an books so…im not sure how to put this but can you talk to me like im slow?
12 Sep, 2009, Koron wrote in the 16th comment:
A compiler? No, probably not. You could write a script to do it, I'm sure… I'm also not the right guy to ask about that.
12 Sep, 2009, DK p1990 wrote in the 17th comment:
Closing this thread seeing that it don't reflect the information i am now looking to obtain thank you all for your help and i hope i see you all in the near future so i can pick your juicy brains!!!
0.0/17