03 Sep, 2009, Hellion wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Got another question about Linux for you guru's. I'm having an issue with the filesystem. I put in a 250 gig hdd just for Ubuntu but it was already formated NTFS. I installed THROUGH windows so it created a dual OS. Now Ubuntu only used 30 gig's of that 250 gig HDD I put in for it wich is not what i want though the only option was 30 gig's on install no more than that. How do I tell the filesystem to use the REST of that 220 gig's left on the HDD without reinstalling Linux VIA CD/BOOT. I was reading on LVM I do believe it is but I messed with it for about 2 hours and couldn't exactly figure it out. Thanks a lot guys and gals.
03 Sep, 2009, Lancsta wrote in the 2nd comment:
I haven't installed linux in a few years, but when I did it I installed Linux first with a fresh format, and partitioned what I wanted for the linux side, and then installed Windows on the remaining side. You might want to do a fresh install, unless someone else has a better idea. Since it's already in NTFS you might be able to modify or expand the linux partition but not sure how reliable or if it will want to format it when you do that.
03 Sep, 2009, Hellion wrote in the 3rd comment:
Nod, See I have windows on a 250 gig hdd and I installed another 250 gig on E: drive for Linux. So windows is on C: and Linux on E:. I think I screwed up because I formated with windows on the new hdd wich was soley for Linux and when I did the install VIA windows it would only let me use 30gig's of the 250 for filesystem and thats not what I want. Do you know of anyway to tell Linux to use the rest? As I said i did some research and it seems its the LVM command? I'm not too sure if I'm correct or not on this and or how to use it because I have tried with no luck. Thanks again!
03 Sep, 2009, Lancsta wrote in the 4th comment:
Now I understand what your doing. Yeah I would have installed during boot to drive E: instead of via windows. I think lvm is your best bet. As far as how to use it…. I dunno yet, still reading.
03 Sep, 2009, Hyper_Eye wrote in the 5th comment:
Take a look at GNU Parted: http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/index...

Read this article for simple instructions on using it: http://www.linux.com/archive/articles/32...

Finally the most useful part of the users manual is here: http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manua...
09 Sep, 2009, Kjwah wrote in the 6th comment:
If it's using NTFS as the filesystem, I would recommend a full reinstall by booting from the CD/DVD and reformatting the drive with ext3. I wouldn't go with ext4(still too new imo) yet and I used to use ReiserFS but I read somewhere that the maintainer of that thinks it should change every five years making it break compatibility with older versions.

You can use drivers to access your ext3 drive from windows so you don't need to use the NTFS file system to access the files on your Linux drive.

http://www.fs-driver.org/ is what I use to access ext3 partitions from Windows.

IF I got that right. If I misread what you are saying, ignore me.
09 Sep, 2009, Hyper_Eye wrote in the 7th comment:
Kjwah said:
…and I used to use ReiserFS but I read somewhere that the maintainer of that thinks it should change every five years making it break compatibility with older versions.

The guy who originally wrote ReiserFS, Hans Reiser, is an incredibly strange person who was convicted of murdering his wife. Anyone who followed the case remembers how crazy it was. Anyway, the filesystem is great but I feel creepy using it so it is ext3 for me.
09 Sep, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 8th comment:
It's probably a safe bet that ReiserFS won't be seeing too much maintenance in the years to come, unless somebody else picks it up from Hans Reiser.
10 Sep, 2009, cozminsky wrote in the 9th comment:
I use LVM and xfs on all the boxes I make for myself. ext3 is probably good too as work tends to use it without problems. It's probably possible to recover the work you've already done but you will definitely need to boot from the cd to delete all the partitions you already have. I believe when you install Ubuntu on ntfs it creates one large file on the ntfs partition and stores all the real files it's working on in a filesystem within this file, presumably there is some limit that you can't get a file larger than 30Gig.
0.0/9