16 Feb, 2007, Ickmund wrote in the 21st comment:
Votes: 0
You may wanna try out Basecamp over at 37signals.com. We're currently using it at work (althou the paid version) and I'm loving it. 37signals live by some kind of KISS; "Don't over-do your opponents; under-do them!". With this philosophy they have lean apps that is easy to use and that they can update quickly.

Basecamp is basically a tool to communicate with your team. The Basecamp idea is that "Communication is project management". For this you have Messages (like a forum), Files, Milestones (Calendar), Writeboards (like a Google Word document) and To-Do lists. Personally I use the To-Do lists the most, as soon as I get something on my table I can't finish within 2-3 minutes, I slap it onto one of my To-Do lists. It's great to have one place, one list, that tells you what to do all the time. :)

Ofcourse, there are more elaborate project management tools out there, but none that I know of that is both free and dosen't require your own server install.

- Icky
16 Feb, 2007, Davion wrote in the 22nd comment:
Ickmund said:
Ofcourse, there are more elaborate project management tools out there, but none that I know of that is both free and dosen't require your own server install.

Ya know. This kinda sparked a thought. Something that was really cool that us MudBytes admins got into for a little bit was Gobby. It was pretty cool. It is basically an IRC Chatroom with a collaborative text editor. Definitely worth a look.
16 Feb, 2007, Conner wrote in the 23rd comment:
Ok, two more things to check into now. :smile:
30 May, 2007, bunabiros wrote in the 24th comment:
I use a single CMS for both a website (public and private), and a documentation tool. If you learn one of the more popular CMS systems, you can easily bend it to your will.

For example, I Blog my general updates to things, add comments to existing areas when I have a random idea, and add pages when I am ready to digest some of those ideas and make them into more "official" documents.

The site also provides numerous tracking methods to list most popular pages, new stuff, and categorize or prioritize stuff. It's not a Wiki but it could be if you wanted it to be.

So for me, project management and website are one and the same. Heck I think there are even modules I could install to track time/hours on each aspect of the work.
31 May, 2007, Conner wrote in the 25th comment:
Sounds pretty interesting, mind if I ask which CMS you're finding so versatile and useful, Bunabiros?
31 May, 2007, bunabiros wrote in the 26th comment:
I use Drupal, but I'm sure you could do all the same things with Joomla or any of the other top 5 open-source CMS packages.
31 May, 2007, Conner wrote in the 27th comment:
I'll have to take a look at them, I had thought they were blog software like wordpress though, so I had skipped them before.
31 May, 2007, kiasyn wrote in the 28th comment:
or sandbox >.>
31 May, 2007, bunabiros wrote in the 29th comment:
Hah, heck no. In fact if you use something as robust as Drupal for solely a blog I'd call you crazy!
31 May, 2007, Paradigm wrote in the 30th comment:
bunabiros said:
Hah, heck no. In fact if you use something as robust as Drupal for solely a blog I'd call you crazy!

The old version of MudDomain ran on Drupal and its a very powerful CMS that can pull off about anything. I bet if you look there is proably some sort of Todo and Project managment modules for it. One thing to watch with drupal is that if you add a bad module with a memory leak it'll take a server down pretty easily. I've switched MudDomain.com over to a wiki now and have been very pleased with how simple it actually was to set up and get running took me less than an hour to have a fully working site up and ready.

Oh yeah HI! I guess i'm back again :)
31 May, 2007, Guest wrote in the 31st comment:
I never really looked into Drupal at all because I figured it was overkill for what I wanted. Maybe I was wrong?

Anyway. Since there's people here who know what Drupal can do, maybe they can answer. If, say, one were to want to add a mudlist that users could add their own data to ( like the one here ) would that require writing new code or could you fake it with some kind of new page that people could edit?

Reason I ask is because the concept of a wiki is more or less free-for-all, and some CMS packages mirror that idea to an extent, but suppose you don't WANT people to be able to edit something that didn't "belong" to them, like someone else's mud listing?

CMS packages don't strike me as the kind of thing were you could write a custom module for it with faked pages if you've got specific data in mind without actually busting out the PHP source and adding to it that way.
31 May, 2007, Conner wrote in the 32nd comment:
Paradigm said:
Oh yeah HI! I guess i'm back again :)

Btw, Remcon was needing to get a hold of you.. and welcome back. :smile:
31 May, 2007, Paradigm wrote in the 33rd comment:
Samson said:
Anyway. Since there's people here who know what Drupal can do, maybe they can answer. If, say, one were to want to add a mudlist that users could add their own data to ( like the one here ) would that require writing new code or could you fake it with some kind of new page that people could edit?

I did this on the old mud domain and its very easy. All it takes is making a page template which is very simple and thats it. It achieved what I needed perfectly and I still have the stuff laying around if you need to see how.
01 Jun, 2007, Kjwah wrote in the 34th comment:
Personally, I like using XOOPS for a CMS. The problem with XOOPS is that it appears to be a dying project.

Also, Dragonfly CMS is pretty sweet as well(What I am switching to until I write my own software). There are a plethora of modules and hacks you can get for it(Mainly because it's based on PHP-Nuke 7.6 I believe is the version). Being based off of PHP-Nuke doesn't make it bad, they cleaned up a lot of code and optimized it quite a bit.

I am pretty sure I've seen more than one module for project management for both of those above. What's nice about using a CMS for both is that you have your website for your MUD but you also have forums that you can use for development purposes as well as modules that you can usually just drop in and configure and be good to go.

XOOPS: http://www.xoops.org/
Dragonfly: http://www.cpgnuke.com/
02 Jun, 2007, Kelvin wrote in the 35th comment:
Django, baby. http://djangoproject.com

Not a CMS, but a very powerful framework for rapid web development.
04 Jun, 2007, bunabiros wrote in the 36th comment:
django looks great, but as a non-coder i'm going to say i prefer the traditional cms solution such as drupal. out of the box, i'm getting alot more functionality with it and saving time.

i'd love to use django for a new project though, something that ties in neatly with a mud database would be sweet. also the fact that it can work with OR without a relational database is very very cool. there are often times when you're working on a project that must work without one.

thanks for the link!
20.0/36