21 Aug, 2009, Metsuro wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Ok so am I just a newb or what, to run smaug in the background so that that user can log out it should be like ./startup & right? If that still doesn't really keep it from exiting when the user disconnects from the server itself, is there something needed make sure this works?
21 Aug, 2009, Guest wrote in the 2nd comment:
Usually this:

nohup ./startup &

The nohup literally tells it not to hang up when you disconnect.
21 Aug, 2009, Metsuro wrote in the 3rd comment:
Hrm, even if I do that ti still seems to exit out regardless of what I am doing… hrm.

Edit: Ok so apparently I had to use sudo nohup ./startup & to get it to work… Hrm I have more reading to do I guess… Thanks though
21 Aug, 2009, Guest wrote in the 4th comment:
Wait. Are you saying it's dying when you log out of your shell, or is it dying when someone else disconnects from the game?
21 Aug, 2009, Metsuro wrote in the 5th comment:
When the user logs out from shell, the process would die. Using sudo nohup ./startup & got to to stay after the user disconnects from shell.
21 Aug, 2009, Rendelven wrote in the 6th comment:
Metsuro said:
When the user logs out from shell, the process would die. Using sudo nohup ./startup & got to to stay after the user disconnects from shell.

So you decided to run it as root?
21 Aug, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 7th comment:
You really don't want to be running it as root.

If you're using zsh as your shell, try typing "disown" after starting the script: that instructs the shell to not kill off the background process upon exiting.
21 Aug, 2009, Guest wrote in the 8th comment:
Shouldn't using the nohup command have done the same as telling it to disown anyway? It's always worked like that for me, even on non-Redhat based systems.
21 Aug, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 9th comment:
Different shells implement their own behavior. I've had cases where zsh made me use disown, although it's possible I have something misconfigured.

EDIT: to be clear, I mean the actual shell program, and not the somewhat colloquial meaning that "shell" == "ssh'ing into the system".
0.0/9