06 Feb, 2007, Guest wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I know it's not strictly related to muds, but hey. We all have to go get domains somewhere, right?

Does anyone have any recommendations for good registrars? Ones that won't hose you over for trying to change a setting and such?

I can tell you one I won't recommend anymore: Registerfly.com

Some of you may have used them already and know exactly what I'm talking about. Well in my case, I've tried to renew 3 domains in the last 6 months. All 3 had serious problems but ended up fixed before expiring. The last straw was when I changed the nameserver setting for intermud.us and Registerfly set the domain to inactive status. They closed the support ticket with nothing more than "user error caused domain to become inactive". Now I don't know WTF they're smoking, but how could I have flubbed changing the name server record? Their site even said it worked and the whois data says I'm right!

Anyway, I'm bailing out on them before they botch something more important. Like, oh, say… the mudbytes.net domain.

One register I will not consider is GoDaddy. Their recent incident with seclists.org should cause anyone major concern.

I'm leaning toward 1and1.com based on the price and the extras offered. I don't even care that they don't have ICANN certification because all of the crappy registrars I've ever used have one and it hasn't meant much yet.

So any other options? Huge preference to those with *FREE* privacy protection of whois data.
07 Feb, 2007, Zeno wrote in the 2nd comment:
I do have to say that Registerfly has terrible support.
07 Feb, 2007, Conner wrote in the 3rd comment:
It's been awhile since I bought a domain name, but the last time I did I found alldomains.com to be pretty good. I don't think they're the cheapest around, but they do offer reasonable services and most of what they offer is supported rather well through online self-service options (or was at the time anyway).
07 Feb, 2007, Guest wrote in the 4th comment:
Well after a bit of a surprise from the fraud division at the Visa place that handles my bank debit card, it's come to my attention that Registerfly has been posting bogus transactions for all of the domain renewal failures and other fuckups they caused. They've cost me nearly $150 in crap account activity that finally resulted in my checking account being frozen out this morning when I tried to pay my DSL bill.

The charges all showed up under the name "Hosting Services Group" - which won't click in your head as being them. Which led to me telling the nice man on the fraud prevention line that the charges were all unauthorized. Which led to me now needing a brand new debit card with a new number and all that shit. To top it off, they hit my Paypal account twice last month as well for similar fuckups. Throw in the random charge from match.com I can't figure out and you can tell what kind of day I've had. They've been reported to the fraud people. It's in their hands now.

If you've got domains with registerfly.com, drop them like a rock and get out while you still can. I'm anticipating a huge fight to get out from under them now. Guess I best bail before they figure out I'm on to them.
07 Feb, 2007, Guest wrote in the 5th comment:
http://registerflies.com/registerfly-res...

It's about 100X worse than I thought. I don't mean to sound cliche or something, but get out while you can.
07 Feb, 2007, Zeno wrote in the 6th comment:
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread...

I hope I can get out, lol. I read that their tech support phone number just goes to some random guy.
07 Feb, 2007, Conner wrote in the 7th comment:
Wow, I'm so glad that I don't have any domains through there now. *sigh* :sad:
07 Feb, 2007, Guest wrote in the 8th comment:
I've initiated transfer of all domains that the whois data shows are under registerfly.com over to 1and1.com. Hopefully all goes smoothly. We shall see. What a nightmare.
07 Feb, 2007, Davion wrote in the 9th comment:
10dollar.ca is the one I use. But that's only for us canucks and our .ca domains ;)
07 Feb, 2007, Keberus wrote in the 10th comment:
Personally, I use Elysium Interactive. They offer free email forwarding( for a certain number of accounts) and I can easily change my nameservers, or use thiers for free. I have had to update my ip with them and it only took about 30 minutes to an hour for my website to be resolved to the new ip properly. Privacy protection costs $8 a year with them though. Normal price is 14.95 a year for .com or .net domains. Just figured since they haven't given me any grief I would give them a bit of props.

Later,
KeB
10 Feb, 2007, Crystal wrote in the 11th comment:
Hrm, I've been using registerfly.com for years. Their support isn't the best, but I haven't had any problems -yet-.
10 Feb, 2007, Conner wrote in the 12th comment:
Apparently Samson thought the same, but found out just a few days ago that they'd been charging his credit card through 'hosting services group' for each time there was a failed domain renewal or some other similar problem.
10 Feb, 2007, Guest wrote in the 13th comment:
To their credit, registerfly.com was a good company up until this time last year when they struck out on their own. That's when a lot of my problems started with them, but being a bit naive to how the registry process worked I didn't think much of it when renewing asked me to approve transfers. Obviously I should have paid more attention to my bank charges during that time.

A whole lot of people have been burned by these guys in the last year and ICANN is only making things worse by refusing to revoke their accreditation. From the way it looks I was apparently quite lucky to have pulled my domains out of the fire when I did. There's talk of lawyers and federal class action suits. 10 of my domains are now free from their grasp. 4 more are in limbo because I just realized the whois data is wrong and I can't change it because of registerfly. The rest are in enom's name and I'm working with them to take control back.

Obviously I don't know much about 1and1.com but the price was right and the privacy protection is free. Their interface is decent enough and their support people answered my email with the same day and were helpful. Miles ahead of sending email after email to registerfly and getting no answer. Or sitting in live chat with the thing going off every few minutes reminding me everyone is busy. Or never being able to get through on the phone. And they wonder why people like me need to file fraud complaints through our banks.
10 Feb, 2007, Zeno wrote in the 14th comment:
You went with 1and1 as well? Not a good idea to follow what I do. It was recommended to me, but now I'm thinking otherwise. I don't see any changing of nameserver support.
10 Feb, 2007, Guest wrote in the 15th comment:
It's in a bit of an odd place. Check one of your domains, go to the DNS settings, and edit DNS. You'll see the nameserver options there. It should work ok as long as you're not trying to do what I do and use nameservers in the same domain. I had to do some weirdness to get mine set but it appears to have worked now.

These guys may not have been the best choice out there but I'd rather have control than letting my domains sit in the hands of thieves.
10 Feb, 2007, Gatewaysysop wrote in the 16th comment:
Samson said:
It's in a bit of an odd place. Check one of your domains, go to the DNS settings, and edit DNS. You'll see the nameserver options there. It should work ok as long as you're not trying to do what I do and use nameservers in the same domain. I had to do some weirdness to get mine set but it appears to have worked now.

These guys may not have been the best choice out there but I'd rather have control than letting my domains sit in the hands of thieves.

Just an oddball question here. I have only one domain name, from a while back, so I may be out of the loop, but is there a huge issue with using networksolutions.com? :thinking:

I originally registered through them, ages ago, and have not had a single problem since, either with changing name servers (done that several times) or anything else. :cool:
10 Feb, 2007, Guest wrote in the 17th comment:
I have no doubt that Network Solutions is a good registrar. They're just too expensive for my tastes. $24.99/yr or whatever it was is just too much. And then the privacy guard costs *MORE*?

The most I'm willing to fork over is $15/yr, and I'm not going to pay extra for whois privacy guards. So in my case I guess I'm limiting my options severely. But that's why there are tons of choices, and I found one that fits my preferences.
10 Feb, 2007, Tijer wrote in the 18th comment:
I have one dns hosted with network solutions, and i do all the modifications to the dns through zoneeedit, never had one problem with them at all, and i have had my dns now for well over 7 years!
13 Feb, 2007, Crystal wrote in the 19th comment:
Hrm, now I'm paranoid about the 9 or so domains I have with them :) I may research other alternatives.
14 Feb, 2007, Brinson wrote in the 20th comment:
I've used cleverdot.com for almost a dozen domains now and never had a problem.

25 a year? 15? Wow, I'd never pay that. I feel cheated paying 7.77 since godaddy gave me my first one for like $3 on a random sale I happened to have visited the during many years ago.

My favorite part of cleverdot.com is you can do mass search for domains, putting in all your ideas.
0.0/126