29 Jul, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Sorry if this is an obvious question, but i cant figure out why i still cannot access my mud from home.
I've set up the SSH which i can access from within my network, but trying to access it remotely dosn't work. I've set up port forwarding on my main tower, i've opened the port on the firewall.

I can access directly to the ssh via the lan ip which is 192.168.0.12.

I'm stumped, i know you might need more data to help, but i cant figure out what to provide.
29 Jul, 2009, Davion wrote in the 2nd comment:
You gotta configure your router. Setup stuff connecting from that port to go to that specific PC on the network.
29 Jul, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 3rd comment:
Yeah, I did set up the port-forwarding, but what i think might be the issue is the DNS-IP
I set up port forwarding with the LAN ip, not the DNS, is that it perhaps?
29 Jul, 2009, Hyper_Eye wrote in the 4th comment:
What router do you have?
29 Jul, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 5th comment:
MOTOROLA SBG900
29 Jul, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 6th comment:
ok, so sorry if i was unclear last night, it was late and i was really worn out.

my overall problem, is that i have set up Cygwin to host SSH so i can access it from anywhere.
so far i've been able to login from within my home network through the LAN IP: 192.168.0.12, I'm
assuming the .12 at the end is the ID of that machine. So, in port forwarding in my router settings,
i forward all requests to port 4123 (my mud port) to: 192.168.0.12

I also have set up a free DyDNS domain so that I dont have to memorize my static IP. When i try
to login through my IP or domain, to port 4123 while my mud is running, it just seems to sit there
for 15 seconds then times out. I have opened 4123 on the Windows Firewall, and the router.
So at this point i'm kinda stumped, i cant seem to get through remotely to the mud on port 4123
nor to the SSH via port 22.

did i miss anything obvious? perhaps rebooting the router?
29 Jul, 2009, Kintar wrote in the 7th comment:
If your SSH daemon on the client machine (192.168.0.12) is running on the standard SSH port 22, that's probably your problem. Most consumer-level routers assume that forwarded ports are going to be the same between the router and the destination machine. So you've got a problem like this:

0.12 is listening for incoming connections on the SSH port (22)
Router is being told that all traffic coming in on port 4123 should be forwarded to 0.12
External machine 1.2.3.4 connects to your router (router.mydyndns.org:4123) and gets forwarded to 192.168.0.12 on port 4123.
0.12 isn't listening on port 4123, so the connection times out.

You're going to need either A) A router that will let you forward to a different port on the destination machine, or B) to tell 0.12 to listen for incoming connections on 4123, rather than 22.
29 Jul, 2009, Kintar wrote in the 8th comment:
Addendum example for clarity:

I hosted my own subversion server at home for a while. My DynDNS account was infinities.selfip.org. This resolved to my router's external IP address. Internally, my SVN server was 192.168.1.50. So, I port-forwarded port 22 from my router to 192.168.1.50. Connecting from an external machine to infinities.selfip.org port 22 would end up connecting to 192.168.1.50 port 22, so everything worked fine. That's because the internal machine (1.50) was expecting traffic on the same port that the router was listening to and forwarding.

Does that help? :)
29 Jul, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 9th comment:
Ok, so if i follow, you were able to SSH no problem on port 22.
But as far as hosting the game, you would have to forward that too?

If i can, i would like to host both my game and my shell so that i can build and
get better with VIM and stuff, i guess you could say i am weaning off of windows
step by step, the reason i really want to do it this way is i dont want to have to
pay for a server when i have a quad-core CPU and FIOS connection of my own
sitting in my living room. :smile:
29 Jul, 2009, Kintar wrote in the 10th comment:
staryavsky said:
Ok, so if i follow, you were able to SSH no problem on port 22.
But as far as hosting the game, you would have to forward that too?

That's it exactly! =)
29 Jul, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 11th comment:
Okie dokie, i gotcha.
01 Aug, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 12th comment:
Ok,
I hate to bring this back up, but i cant figure out how to host both SSH on port 22
and my mud on port 4000.

I cant find anywhere online that explains how to have my router host both. I dont see why
this is an issue. I mean, if i were to use skype or bit-torrent, i'm sure that they work
fine on whichever port they are on. Is it cause i'm hosting my mud IN cygwin, which is
hosting on 22?

I'm sure there has to be a simple way to make this work.
01 Aug, 2009, Kline wrote in the 13th comment:
If you are comfortable upgrading router firmware, I'd reccomend DD-WRT, if it is supported on your router. It is highly configurable and easy to do what you are trying.
01 Aug, 2009, Hyper_Eye wrote in the 14th comment:
staryavsky said:
Ok,
I hate to bring this back up, but i cant figure out how to host both SSH on port 22
and my mud on port 4000.

I cant find anywhere online that explains how to have my router host both. I dont see why
this is an issue. I mean, if i were to use skype or bit-torrent, i'm sure that they work
fine on whichever port they are on. Is it cause i'm hosting my mud IN cygwin, which is
hosting on 22?

I'm sure there has to be a simple way to make this work.

You just need to make another forward. You should have a forwarding rule for each of the ports you are wanting to service. The exception to that is when you want a range in which many routers support specifying a full range forwarding rule.
01 Aug, 2009, Kline wrote in the 15th comment:
Or just DMZ the whole box…The less safe but easy route :)
01 Aug, 2009, JohnnyStarr wrote in the 16th comment:
It seems like ever since i've been running the SSH Daemon, none of my port forwarding works.
For instance, i have bittorrent set to 45682, once i fire up the ssh, it goes red, then when i shut it down, it goes green.
0.0/16