30 Jan, 2007, Darmond wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
basacoly I am looking for the best pacaged OLC I can find my builders have complained lately about the OLC beeing confusing and I have sadly found at times its inadaquit for what I want.. I do plan to eventualy edit the olc to make it work better but since I am starting from a clean code source *as to get rid of all the bugs from bad code in the past I installed* I just am woundering is Ivens OLC the best there is or is there a better one out there ? because if there is a better pacaged pice I would rather use that and add to something thats already better
31 Jan, 2007, Omega wrote in the 2nd comment:
If you are working with a rom mud, then Ivans is the only good olc to use, for now.

I am currently working on a new online editor system, ground up, which is being designed to replace that of ivans, give more functionality, better interface, more options, more editors, and less issue with licensing (as seen in other posts)

you can either install ivans olc 1.81 (the most stable of all of Ivans) or you can wait for the release of ROCS, or you can do one better, and write your own.

Or you could port circlemud's oasis editor much like smaug did, plenty of options, just depends on which one is right for you.
31 Jan, 2007, Guest wrote in the 3rd comment:
Oasis isn't a half bad system, but it is a very high maintenance chunk of code. It's not something I would advise someone take on unless they're very experienced with coding in general, and with Rom specifically.

Darmond, you haven't said which codebase you're using. That information might help to narrow down what you want to be looking for.
31 Jan, 2007, Darmond wrote in the 4th comment:
right I forgot about that in all the rush lol. I am in fact useing a basic rom shell again as I stated in another post I want to start with a clean (ish) code base as mine has just grown too buggy for its own good.
01 Feb, 2007, Omega wrote in the 5th comment:
my recommendation then if you are using rom, is to use the unfortunate Ivans 1.81, as i stated before, it is the most stable olc for rom, if you go above 1.81, you will get very buggy.

also within my recommendation is to ensure that you change all the sprintf's in it to snprintf's, because the olc has a small issue with exceeding the length of the buffer. or removing char buf[MSL], and moving to char *, where they don't expect a limit, but even then, you will find that even the most stable version of olc, still has a large chunk of issues with it.

I use it in my mud at the moment, but it will be gone when i finish the rocs editor, which is taking longer then i thought it would. in anycase, Ivans 1.81 is best for rom atm. so i'd use that.
01 Feb, 2007, Guest wrote in the 6th comment:
Darien, hurry up with ROCS. Being forced to recommend Ivan's because it's the only choice is deeply disturbing and offensive! :)
01 Feb, 2007, Omega wrote in the 7th comment:
yeah yeah yeah, i'll hurry up with ROCS, just remember though, i'm going to put a crazy assed licence on it… like…. diku licensing… and thats it…. cuz i'm nice and not a prick like other people who put licensing :)
01 Feb, 2007, Guest wrote in the 8th comment:
You license nazi! How dare you make your software so easy to be legally used!
01 Feb, 2007, Kayle wrote in the 9th comment:
I take offense to that Samson! :tongue:

And to think, I never thought I'd see the day when Samson would call someone a Nazi. even jokingly. :tongue:
01 Feb, 2007, Omega wrote in the 10th comment:
i'm so mean. the only issue with ROCS is that i'm trying to avoid it having anything similar to that of ivans olc, or its predecessor inwhich locke makes claim to.

since he claims that words such as redit, aedit, and stuff like that, are his, and that the term itself, OLC is infact, his, i am trying to avoid all the usage of these terms throughout the code, and anything that could be considered similar, i go and rewrite so it wont be, so he cannot come along and say that he should be credited.
03 Feb, 2007, Darmond wrote in the 11th comment:
wow there is someone that err how shall i put this anil ? about there code that they make you credit them for the use of meer words :stare: ooo well ether way I now have to find a way to install Ivans 1.81 onto a clean rom shell and I think i need a difernt rom shell at that *laughs* cas the current one is rejecting everything only reason I grabed it though is that it came already clean *yes I am lazy I want a clean stock so I dont have to fix all the warnings and errors myself I dont even know why there isent a clean one donated * lol ether way this has been an experiance and a half for me and how long do you think till ROCS is out ??? cas if its in the next month or so I would rather wait then install a buggy OLC.
03 Feb, 2007, Guest wrote in the 12th comment:
There is a clean stock Rom in the repository already. But if you were talking about the OLC, I'd guess the reason nobody cleans that up is because nobody particularly likes the code and the draconian licensing that goes with it.
03 Feb, 2007, Davion wrote in the 13th comment:
There is a clean stock Rom in the repository already. But if you were talking about the OLC, I'd guess the reason nobody cleans that up is because nobody particularly likes the code and the draconian licensing that goes with it.

There totally wasn't :). Just fixed one up right now. Should complie as-is on gcc4
03 Feb, 2007, Guest wrote in the 14th comment:
Yeah, my bad. I thought I had uploaded that already. Apparently not though :)
03 Feb, 2007, Davion wrote in the 15th comment:
And one more thing. I uploaded a version of Ivan's OLC 1.81 that Noximist of A Dark Portal gave me, which had all things translated to english. Should patch with no .rej files.
04 Feb, 2007, Darmond wrote in the 16th comment:
yo Davion thanks for cleaning up both of those *was going to do that himself if he ever figured out how so is glad someone beat him to the punch* now I can go ahead and transfer over all my newer coder on my old mud that wasent bugger >_< *laughs* now I can take that nice clean code and make it buggy >_< but ya I need to readd some things to this clean base before I can plunk in the areas from my old one cas they are set up so diferntly *laughs* err its late so I am kinda giddy ether way I know I will probobly come across problems but I build the changes on my old mud so I know I can do it again

again thanks for the clean copys its nice not to have a huge list of errors when compileing
04 Feb, 2007, Omega wrote in the 17th comment:
ivans go bye bye in near future, just not sure when. :)
05 Feb, 2007, Conner wrote in the 18th comment:
Sounds great, Darien, I'm sure I'm not the only one really looking forward to ROCS. :smile:
05 Feb, 2007, Omega wrote in the 19th comment:
yeah, its all good, sorry its taking so long, wife gets most of my time these days, i barely get an hour to fix my own mud, not alone work on rocs, but, i do what i can when i can :) and thats all i ask of myself :P

tehe :)
05 Feb, 2007, Conner wrote in the 20th comment:
I don't know that anyone else can ask more than that of you either. :wink:
0.0/42