22 Jul, 2009, Xrakisis wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
Hi All,
Does anyone know of a rom codebase with the arcmod snippit installed (mainly the ability scores) or a mud with ability scores that go to 200 or 250, so that i could get an idea of how its done?

-Xrakisis
22 Jul, 2009, Hades_Kane wrote in the 2nd comment:
Ability scores as in things like strength, dexterity, etc.?
22 Jul, 2009, Xrakisis wrote in the 3rd comment:
yeah, i think that term is used more in ADnD.. kick ass game i have to say… i looked through the code and it seems like it will be easy enough to figure out.. Thanks, -Xrakisis, Ian Shirm
22 Jul, 2009, Hades_Kane wrote in the 4th comment:
I'm running ROM and our ability scores reach 255… I just modified them myself in order to do it.

Is there anything in particular with it you are having issue with or concerns you have?

The biggest pain in doing this is the way rom has the STR_APP and WIS_APP etc. written in, because rather than having any sort of formula or whatever, it lists them per stat value and what the modifier for that particular value is. Figuring out some sort of scaling formula for that would make converting to higher stat numbers much easier. Everything else ought to be mostly just modifying what the maxes are listed as, and just double checking that everything is based on the modifiers and not the actual stats themselves.
22 Jul, 2009, Xrakisis wrote in the 5th comment:
I did put the stats in merc.h and increased MAX_STAT to 10, and did a grep of *.* for each of the files for STAT_STR and such.. I did 250 lines in the str_app table and changed it from 26 to 251 at the top. After 250 lines i was like the hell with doing the same for the other three or four.. i grepped wis_app, and int_app and con_app and put in a formula like += get_curr(ch, STAT_STR) with division to have it come out about the same as when the max was 25 for con/dex/int/wis… im a good way through it, its easyer than i thought it would be.. gonna finish it up in a bit.. shouldnt take too much longer.. gonna need a pwipe though, im not adding another 5 %d's i think it is to each pfile…

-Xrakisis, Ian Shirm, marcusironfist@hotmail.com
22 Jul, 2009, Kline wrote in the 6th comment:
You don't have to wipe, you just have to version your files, and they may already have versions. Either way, just add a unique (updateable) indicator as the first line (maybe second, after name) in each pfile on save, with a current version. It will be the first thing loaded so you can control further line reads and loads only if the version supports it, and every time you write a pfile on save it will automatically be the latest version for next load.

if( version >= CURRENT_VERSION )
{
load_extra_stats()
}
23 Jul, 2009, Xrakisis wrote in the 7th comment:
would i put something like this in?

if ( version < CURRENT_VERSION)
{

if (ch->version == 1)
load_char_obj_version1

if (ch->version == 2)
load_char_obj_version2

then save it with current version of variables?

Its not a big deal though, Just put in an Accounts system, with much appreciated help from Davion, and i only have like 4 accounts at present.

-Xrakisis, Ian Shirm
23 Jul, 2009, Hades_Kane wrote in the 8th comment:
If you don't have really anyone on that would be upset about losing their pfiles, it would be the easier route for sure.

However, I might would suggest toying with the version thing only to get the experience of having done it, for any time in the future you might want to add something that requires a player update.

And yeah, it's not a hard update, it's just time consuming, and then you have to worry about the balance issues.
23 Jul, 2009, Davion wrote in the 9th comment:
Doesn't load_char_obj have built in versioning? As in… you can version certain aspects of the pfile instead of using a whole new routine.
23 Jul, 2009, Skol wrote in the 10th comment:
Yeah, it already has in version checking.
23 Jul, 2009, Igabod wrote in the 11th comment:
depends on the version of rom being used I think, but most of the versions I've seen have version support built in so there's no need for xrakisis to do any extra work there. If he's using quickmud then he definitely has it.
0.0/11