31 Dec, 2006, Rojan QDel wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
A while ago I started a personal project of mine partly out of curiousity and partly out of my desire to make easier-to-use and more efficient web scripts interfacing with the SWR codebase. The project is built off of SWR:FUSS and is essentially geared towards, in the end, removing the flatfile database system and replacing it with MySQL. I've gotten pretty far, replacing ships, boards, starsystems, planets, notes, and sysdata, and some other things I'm forgetting to list. I was wondering if anyone would be interested in helping me finish the project. I have my own server I host it on so of course you'd get your own shell account. It's open-source and public once I get my sourceforge project created but I would like some help in truly making a version of SWRFUSS fit to run without files at all. The rest of the methods need to be converted as well as refining the current methods of saving to MySQL and making them more efficient. Anyone who's interested please e-mail me at rojanqdel@verizon.net or AIM at RojanQDel.

-Thanks
31 Dec, 2006, Guest wrote in the 2nd comment:
So your plans are to eventually be rid of area files, pfiles, class, race, and other files? Are you planning on simply substituting the database for the function of the flatfiles or are you planning to "query on demand" as the information is needed by the game?

And have you stopped to consider that relying completely on SQL to operate the game will cut out a large chunk of users? I had to address this very problem myself when doing SQL work for AFKMud 2.0 after finding out how many systems still don't have the required libraries and support files to do this. And that was just when I had converted helpfiles.

I'm not trying to discourage you from doing it, just making sure you're aware of what this decision means in the long term.
31 Dec, 2006, Rojan QDel wrote in the 3rd comment:
Already replied on fussproject :)

[Edit by kiasyn. link: http://www.smaugmuds.org/index.php?a=top...]
22 Jan, 2007, Rojan QDel wrote in the 4th comment:
For any who care, I uploaded version 0.1 Alpha to sourceforge: SourceForge.net: SWR:SQL
22 Jan, 2007, Guest wrote in the 5th comment:
Heh, why not upload it here? Sourceforge seems like an odd place for a mud codbease :)
22 Jan, 2007, Guest wrote in the 6th comment:
Heh, why not upload it here? Sourceforge seems like an odd place for a mud codbease :)
22 Jan, 2007, Metsuro wrote in the 7th comment:
Double post bwuaha
22 Jan, 2007, Guest wrote in the 8th comment:
Blame Microsoft. I have. Cheap ass proxy systems :P
22 Jan, 2007, Guest wrote in the 9th comment:
Blame Microsoft. I have. Cheap ass proxy systems :P
22 Jan, 2007, Metsuro wrote in the 10th comment:
I blame them for everything, specially cause I cant freaking play my xbox360 on live, the bastards.
23 Jan, 2007, Rojan QDel wrote in the 11th comment:
Uploaded it here :) By the way, I'd still love some help in refining the code and working on future releases… And I use sourceforge because it has better version control and tools for tracking bugs, etc.
23 Jan, 2007, kiasyn wrote in the 12th comment:
We have a bugtracker.
23 Jan, 2007, Conner wrote in the 13th comment:
kiasyn said:
We have a bugtracker.

How does one access it?
23 Jan, 2007, kiasyn wrote in the 14th comment:
The file has to have bug tracking enabled. (Edit the file, theres a checkbox.)
23 Jan, 2007, Conner wrote in the 15th comment:
Oh, so if I edit any of my snippet submissions I can set them to enable bug tracking? That's cool, I just hadn't seen any bug trackings here on the live and hadn't paid attention on the dev to how to use them.
25 Jan, 2007, Rojan QDel wrote in the 16th comment:
I couldn't find where to set it :(
25 Jan, 2007, Conner wrote in the 17th comment:
Me either. *shrug*
25 Jan, 2007, Davion wrote in the 18th comment:
Ok, currently there isn't a way to turn it on for you mortals :) If you want it enabled, drop a PM to an admin (Asylumius, Samson or me) and we'll get you set up. I'll do it right nwo for SWRSQL
25 Jan, 2007, Conner wrote in the 19th comment:
So not something that can just be turned on for all code submissions then? Maybe even convert exiting submission discussions that deal with bug fixes to bug tracker entries?
Or would that take too much resources?
25 Jan, 2007, Guest wrote in the 20th comment:
I think it was intended that the submitter be allowed to change the bug tracker status on their own uploads, so when one of us has a moment later tonite we can look into fixing that properly.
0.0/33