13 Jul, 2009, Icecold211 wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
is GDB installed through mud or server..trying to figure out so i can figure out how to install backtrace into this mud…
13 Jul, 2009, Runter wrote in the 2nd comment:
Icecold211 said:
is GDB installed through mud or server..trying to figure out so i can figure out how to install backtrace into this mud…

GDB itself is a debugger application.
14 Jul, 2009, Banner wrote in the 3rd comment:
Icecold211 said:
It's installed from the server. You'll need to get someone with root access to install it if you can't use it.
14 Jul, 2009, Icecold211 wrote in the 4th comment:
Banner said:
Icecold211 said:
It's installed from the server. You'll need to get someone with root access to install it if you can't use it.

Thank you for your answer, it was a great help, i will get in touch with the server admin ASAP…
14 Jul, 2009, Icecold211 wrote in the 5th comment:
Ok i just re-read this post and even confused myself on this question so im going to reask it….the GDB do i need to code it into the mud or is it a application with in the server OS…
14 Jul, 2009, Zeno wrote in the 6th comment:
14 Jul, 2009, Icecold211 wrote in the 7th comment:

A Smaug installation with it already installed doesn't answer the question…
14 Jul, 2009, Metsuro wrote in the 8th comment:
You dont install it into a base, you can use it on one though. You just have to compile the project with special flags or some such.
14 Jul, 2009, Koron wrote in the 9th comment:
GDB is a server side implementation–either your server has it or it doesn't. You won't need to install it into your mud, but you will need to make sure you have a core dump. (Note that this is probably not a correct technical term.)
14 Jul, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 10th comment:
Zeno's link doesn't have anything to do with a SMAUG distribution with gdb "already installed"… you don't install gdb into your MUD. Rather, the link he posted is a very informative guide on what to do with gdb once you have it installed.
31 Jan, 2010, triskaledia wrote in the 11th comment:
Attempting to use this GDB to figure out why 'sell all' has recently decided it's going to crash the mud.

$ ls -lt core*
-rw——- 1 nick nick 3682304 Jan 16 10:04 core.22179
when I do that: ls: core*: No such file or directory
So assuming core is the src file for SMAUG, since I don't use SMAUG, I get

6448 -rwxr-xr-x 1 triskaledia reanimation 6590107 Jan 30 19:55 rom
4 drwxrwxr-x 2 triskaledia reanimation 4096 Jan 30 19:55 obj
8 -rw——- 1 triskaledia reanimation 4578 Jan 30 20:46 nohup.out

Then I'm told to start the GDB by doing… $ gdb ../src/smaug core.22179 …and since I don't get a report out with a core.##### I can't target that, and I'm completely confused now.
Is there a guide for people who don't use SMAUG, or rather a guide for ROM/QuickMUD?
I did a little searching and all I found was a link to looking to hire a coder who can use GDB, and a bunch of links about people randomly talking about GDB, but none of them pointing on how to use it - except for SMAUG users.
31 Jan, 2010, Zeno wrote in the 12th comment:
If cores aren't dumping, you need to enable it (explained on Gammon's link).
31 Jan, 2010, David Haley wrote in the 13th comment:
And, if you can consistently reproduce the crash, you can skip the core part and run the MUD in gdb directly. Then reproduce the crash (presumably by typing 'sell all') and see what gdb has to say.
0.0/13