08 Jul, 2009, triskaledia wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I was looking at the code today, and thought I'd explore a file I've never ventured into - md5.c / md5.h.
To me it looks like a jumbled mess of defines and expressions setup for the code, but what exactly does it do?
I did a grep md5.c *.* and same with the .h, and found that md5.c is only found within itself and and is called
from the makefile (I'm assuming just because it's code running). md5.h is called from imc.c, which brings
me to another question, what exactly is imc.c used for? Is there a newbie friendly explanation already online
that I've not found?
–Silence Tyire, Starting to get more curious about the code less traveled.
08 Jul, 2009, Guest wrote in the 2nd comment:
For which codebase? :)

As far as what does imc.c do, it's the network component for the IMC2 intermud network.
08 Jul, 2009, triskaledia wrote in the 3rd comment:
I can't believe the codebase out, I was even thinking about it as I was typing.
It is a ROM 2.4, QuickMUD style, but I'm not sure which QuickMUD.
–Silence Tyire
09 Jul, 2009, Hades_Kane wrote in the 4th comment:
In my copy of QuickMUD, that file doesn't exist.

Googling it, I came up with this:

http://cvsweb.xfree86.org/cvsweb/*checko...

Is that what your file basically is?
09 Jul, 2009, Tyche wrote in the 5th comment:
triskaledia said:
I was looking at the code today, and thought I'd explore a file I've never ventured into - md5.c / md5.h.
To me it looks like a jumbled mess of defines and expressions setup for the code, but what exactly does it do?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MD5

I think it's used to encrypt passwords for the IMC mud chatty thing.
09 Jul, 2009, Guest wrote in the 6th comment:
Yes, and if the particular codebase is still using md5, it's got old imc anyway and needs to be updated before using it.
12 Jul, 2009, triskaledia wrote in the 7th comment:
Is updating IMC to the newest version worth it, since I've never used it so far?
Somewhere I read that it's used to link to forums and other networks… Might've misread…
–Silence Tyire
Also, if it's used to link forums and other users networks together as a "chat system", it's
not really something that I want at this time. It'd be best to just leave it as is instead of
attempting to remove it for now, correct? Or will it possibly screw up the password encryption
that is set for my pfiles?
12 Jul, 2009, triskaledia wrote in the 8th comment:
Hades_Kane said:
In my copy of QuickMUD, that file doesn't exist.

Googling it, I came up with this:

http://cvsweb.xfree86.org/cvsweb/*checko...

Is that what your file basically is?

Yes that's the setup I have for my md5.c file.
–Silence Tyire
12 Jul, 2009, Guest wrote in the 9th comment:
Upgrading it won't hurt, especially since you've not used it yet.

IMC2 is more or less just a chat network for MUDs. There's a few channels on the network people talk to each other on and some service bots that keep up with some news feeds and some of the RSS feeds off the forums. There's no link between the forum itself and the network though.
0.0/9