06 Jul, 2009, Runter wrote in the 1st comment:
Votes: 0
I'm interested in upcoming Ruby codebases, distributed or not, being developed/already developed.

I'm working on my own and I know of a few people doing the same. If anyone has any such projects in the works then please speak up. :)
06 Jul, 2009, Chris Bailey wrote in the 2nd comment:
Well I am currently working on geMud. It's in early phases but I am planning an alpha release very soon. I had planned to release it a couple of days ago but came across some very fundamental design issues that had to be addressed. I release an old very barebones ruby codebase called MiMud which was based on EventMachine, but it's lacking even most basic features, and is poorly design in the first place.
06 Jul, 2009, Runter wrote in the 3rd comment:
Obviously there is Tyche's TeensyMUD and I think there is a RubyMUD on this repository somewhere.
06 Jul, 2009, Chris Bailey wrote in the 4th comment:
I believe Fury has a copy of bMud, I'm not sure if he is still using it or planning to release what is done or not.
06 Jul, 2009, kiasyn wrote in the 5th comment:
I have a copy of bMUD, along with my own MUD codebase, so far called TowersMUD :P
06 Jul, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 6th comment:
We might have to work something out regarding bMUD and BabbleMUD's abbreviation as BMud. :rolleyes:
06 Jul, 2009, Runter wrote in the 7th comment:
What does bMUD even stand for anyways?
07 Jul, 2009, kiasyn wrote in the 8th comment:
it doesn't stand for anything, its just bMUD. :)

so babblemud will probably have to just be BabbleMUD :)
07 Jul, 2009, David Haley wrote in the 9th comment:
Heh. Well, its official name always will be BabbleMUD, and so most references to it will be as such, but for the record it was abbreviated as BMud before bMUD existed. :tongue:
07 Jul, 2009, Chris Bailey wrote in the 10th comment:
I had a lot of friends that shared my first name and we called each other by our last names. After awhile, people just started calling me B, it might have had something to do with how I named it. :P
15 Jul, 2009, tphegley wrote in the 11th comment:
Are there any ruby games with actual OLC/Class/Race/Skills/Spells?

I'm looking to learn ruby and would definitely like if these things were already implemented into a mud. Are there any out there that has any of these elements?
15 Jul, 2009, Metsuro wrote in the 12th comment:
The question is, is there a ruby code base like the MOO codebases, that you can program with ruby inside the client never actually having to login into the shell, just into the game?
15 Jul, 2009, Chris Bailey wrote in the 13th comment:
Either of those could be easily added into the existing codebases. Teensymud and rocketmud are both prime candidates. I'm not sure of the others. Tphegley, why bother with a codebase that has OLC, classes, races, skills and spells already in place when you could design the way they work from the ground up? There is no trying to force your idea to fit when you start with these, and learning to implement your own system is no more complicated in Ruby than learning smaug OLC, imo. =)
15 Jul, 2009, Tyche wrote in the 14th comment:
Metsuro said:
The question is, is there a ruby code base like the MOO codebases, that you can program with ruby inside the client never actually having to login into the shell, just into the game?

There is AetasMud which is C++ with embedded ruby scripting. I don't know whether it allows code editing online.
RocketMud allows runtime code loading. Write a string editor for it (or borrow the one from TeensyMud) and your there.
15 Jul, 2009, Tyche wrote in the 15th comment:
tphegley said:
Are there any ruby games with actual OLC/Class/Race/Skills/Spells?

I'm looking to learn ruby and would definitely like if these things were already implemented into a mud. Are there any out there that has any of these elements?

Several of the muds listed in the article section have games of one sort or the other.
TeensyMud sports an OLC, but no game system.

I'm always curious about the Class/Race/Skills/Spells thing.
What game system do people really have in mind?
15 Jul, 2009, Chris Bailey wrote in the 16th comment:
Personally I am of the opinion that a codebase should not include game "content", including classes,races,skills and spells. An original game should have it's own way of handling such an important part of the design, and adding anything premade like that is just another thing that people will have to remove when they get to that part of their design. I also believe that adding content like that will enable people to be lazier and use that system instead of coming up with their own. =)
15 Jul, 2009, KaVir wrote in the 17th comment:
Chris Bailey said:
Personally I am of the opinion that a codebase should not include game "content", including classes,races,skills and spells.

I think there's a big difference between including a selection of races and classes, and providing support for races and classes. The former is clearly game content, but the latter is not. Personally I'd favour something generic that would also be useful for classless and raceless muds (like the background system I once described on Mu...).

This is the sort of thing that most muds will want to add. If you don't, and your codebase becomes popular, it's only a matter of time until someone else releases a derivative with classes and races built in. Better to beat them to it, IMO, and provide the framework for something generic that'll be passed on to later derivatives.
15 Jul, 2009, Chris Bailey wrote in the 18th comment:
I would have to argue that "providing support" for races, classes etc.. in the manner you described it is still considered including game content. Let's say I create the most basic system possible, and include templates for races, classes, skills and spells. How much non-content can you include in that system while still providing something functional? The supporting functions/methods have to follow some sort of design, basing skills on character level, adding racial abilities, including racial or class statistic bonuses or requirements(character measure ie: dexterity, is content). I just don't understand how you can include something useful without stepping into the realm of content.
My suggestion to this problem would be to design a codebase that allows for fully swapable modules. You could include a race module, a class module, a skill module and a magic module (along with modules for any other system you decide on) for people to use as a base, or to learn from. Inside a module you could include as much content as you like, since it could be removed by commenting out a line or something equivalent. I don't know that I'm up to the task of creating such a system, but it sure would be nice. No more snippets or updates, just install a module! (This is Nakedmud's idea right?)
15 Jul, 2009, KaVir wrote in the 19th comment:
Chris Bailey said:
I would have to argue that "providing support" for races, classes etc.. in the manner you described it is still considered including game content.

Do you consider "providing support" for OLC to be adding game content? Because I don't think that this is any different, and Tyche has already said that TeensyMud supports OLC.

Chris Bailey said:
Let's say I create the most basic system possible, and include templates for races, classes, skills and spells. How much non-content can you include in that system while still providing something functional?

You can provide the underlying system without adding content, just as you can provide the mechanics for movement without adding a stock world. Of course you may well want to provide a little content just to serve as an example - a handful of rooms, for example, or a handful of backgrounds (to use the system I proposed earlier). But these can simply be deleted if unwanted, without needing to change any of the code.

Chris Bailey said:
My suggestion to this problem would be to design a codebase that allows for fully swapable modules.

Sure, but they'll still require numerous changes to the rest of the codebase - all the hooks for accessing the skills/etc.
15 Jul, 2009, tphegley wrote in the 20th comment:
Tyche said:
Several of the muds listed in the article section have games of one sort or the other.
TeensyMud sports an OLC, but no game system.

I'm always curious about the Class/Race/Skills/Spells thing.
What game system do people really have in mind?

I would just like to see how it's a done. A simple human race, warrior class, 2-3 example skills/spells and then I would be set. I'm looking through teensy mud right now to check it out and learn from it.
0.0/40